That Wildcat Gal

Brock

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm partial to "Liar" personally after Hey, Look Me Over.

It's a shame Lucy Goes To Broadway ultimately fizzled. In the first draft script, "Hey, Look Me Over" is sung several times by both Lucy and Viv, and would have included filmed segments of the cast singing "What Takes My Fancy" and "You're A Liar". It would have been phenomenal.

I'm partial to "Liar" personally after Hey, Look Me Over.

It's a shame Lucy Goes To Broadway ultimately fizzled. In the first draft script, "Hey, Look Me Over" is sung several times by both Lucy and Viv, and would have included filmed segments of the cast singing "What Takes My Fancy" and "You're A Liar". It would have been phenomenal.

WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY DAY?! This is the one incomplete thing I would have KILLED to see. Funny thing I was just thinking of this special while I was listening to the Wildcat vinyl yesterday. I agree with Brock on the "Liar", you can just feel the energy, I can picture how this number may have looked. It's just a good show song.

WTMF is closed 2nd to HLMO in my book.

Followed by the two cut songs Wildcat and That's What I want.

Though they don't get as much attention, the non-Lucy songs are also  excellent: Cordorouy Road and Tall Hope are stirring.  You've come Home, very melodic. 

On Broadway albums there's usually one I skip over but Wildcat doesn't have a clinker in the bunch.  Even Oil/I Hear is quite an intricate melody.

The Wildcat number might be my second favorite song after Hey, Look Me Over! Next might be That's What I What for Janie, which I think is Lucy's best vocal performance on the cast recording. Too bad these numbers were cut. The theory is that they were cut to lighten Lucy's workload. I can understand Wildcat, which sounds like a major production number, but I That's What I What For Janie is a relatively simple, non-dance number that is explains the Wildcat character's motivations. Wildcat also has a LONG first act, so cutting these scenes would also shorten the show's running time.

The Wildcat number might be my second favorite song after Hey, Look Me Over! Next might be That's What I What for Janie, which I think is Lucy's best vocal performance on the cast recording. Too bad these numbers were cut. The theory is that they were cut to lighten Lucy's workload. I can understand Wildcat, which sounds like a major production number, but I That's What I What For Janie is a relatively simple, non-dance number that is explains the Wildcat character's motivations. Wildcat also has a LONG first act, so cutting these scenes would also shorten the show's running time.

I like Hey Look me Over, but its almost like a repetitive march song, as appose to Wildcat, which has a good tempo, some unique syncopation and a beautiful melody

Confession here. I have never heard the full album and listening to it last night was the first time I heard it in full. Why I don’t own a copy on CD I have no idea. I got the vinyl hanging on my wall though. I’ve heard the album version of HLMO many times but listening to it with headphones separates the vocals, so I have just Lucy in my right ear and can focus on her voice in the duet portion. This is not her best performance of this song, but it has a lot of energy in it. I think the best is the Steve Lawrence show. Better sounding voice, she looks amazing and dances great.

Overall impressions. I generally like the songs and am always struck by how different Coleman’s shows never sound like one another. It’s not like Webber or Sondheim when you hear them you know their style. Really liked the overture. I though Paula had more to sing in this show. I would have thought they would throw more her way to help Lucy out. One duet and one solo song. Lucy’s energy is very up the whole way through this. I agree about the long first act. Bway radio does a break between act 1 and 2 and when it happened there were only 4 songs left. I was a little disappointed that Lucy did not sing in the last 3. She had to be in those scenes, correct?

Listening to her voice on this it reminds me 100% of 60’s Lucy and not 50’s Lucy. Even when she has to sing higher I hear what is her 60’s voice. This was the start of the transition time so I was expecting to get shades of that Lucy Ricardo voice but she was full on Lucy Carmichael sounding. It’s a marked difference than the last time she sang not for comic effect in LLT. There were some parts she seemed a little strained. Up thread someone mentioned a cough on one of the tracks. I didn’t hear this. What song was it on?

As far as each song goes. That's What I Want For Janie really is her best sounding song on this album. I would think the faster high energy songs would help blast through the fact that her voice isn’t that great but was really surprised with this ballad. It seems to sit at just the perfect place for her. Compare it with how she does If he walked into My Life Today and you hear how far her voice declined.

You’re a Liar has the trademark cry at the end which made me laugh. I can’t remember what song it was but there is a part where she duets and holds her own really well. Tippy Toes seems to get pretty high, well high for Lucy at least and she holds it together well.

I’m not surprised to hear that 2 songs were cut to give her a vocal rest. To be a non singer and tackle as much as what was on this album is a feat. To couple that with the acting, the dancing and everything else it was not a cake walk. I can’t think that the singing sounded as good on stage as it did on this album when there was much more to do then just sing. I can see how she was exhausted. I will be picking up a copy of the CD ASAP

Yes, do get a copy of the CD ASAP. It may have the best sound quality of a CD I've ever heard. Lucy can be heard coughing and clearing her throat during Tippy, Tippy Toes.

Act one ends with Tall Hope, which is a great number, but I think it's a little strange that the first act closer doesn't focus on the main character. There's actually a lot of non-Wildcat stage time throughout the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived