Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

I wonder if the Dinah! episode was cut to try and fit into some sort of time constraints. Like you can only show 20 minutes so they picked the best parts and dumped the lesser stuff. The Carole Burnett show clip is done like that. They only could use 3 mintues and I believe Tom on her said that they got it to come right at 3 min.

You're probably right, but that's so nutty, such a great show and we only get to see highlights. I was shocked when Viv read that fake joke contract and Lucy had mentioned that BIT about retouching all her pictures, of course she never intended for the public to hear that, LOL!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did people not realize photos were retouched back then? Maybe the same people who don't understand PhotoShop today. We retouched all our wedding photos as Charlie is a wiz with it.

Really? My dad had a mustache put on for HIS wedding photo and my mom who has brown hair had hair so black she looked like an Italian mama on her wedding photo so NO, they did not do retouching or at least not well back then, but that was sixty four years ago. Their wedding picture still hangs in my bedroom next to more recent paintings of both and I always wanted to have that painted on mustache to just disappear. I was a kid when I became Lucy's number one fan, so I had no idea such a thing as touch ups existed. Later, when I found out, I accepted it for what it was, Lucy wisely knew that if you got old in Hollywood, you stopped getting job offers, so she wanted to keep looking as young as possible AND she had to compete with that image of Lucy Ricardo which was ingrained in every tv viewer. When I saw her looking natural in that Jim Brochu picture in her kitchen, I was horrified. Of course she had no idea her backgammon playing friend who kept her company the last year of her life would later write a book about her, and show that damned picture to the world.

Yeah, damned backgammon wasted her precious time and caused her to entertain people looking to make a buck off of her too.

Which makes you wonder why a woman as smart as Lucy didn't think of that. She just let a bunch of random people into her life and home.. people she didn't know! You would think she'd realize there were plenty of people willing to take advantage of her.

Which makes you wonder why a woman as smart as Lucy didn't think of that. She just let a bunch of random people into her life and home.. people she didn't know! You would think she'd realize there were plenty of people willing to take advantage of her.

She wanted someone to play those stupid games with her and this guy Brochu wrote a play and sent it in, to console him for not being interested, she said it was good but invited him to play backgammon with her and he did make her laugh and I guess it WAS better than spending her days alone.

She wanted someone to play those stupid games with her and this guy Brochu wrote a play and sent it in, to console him for not being interested, she said it was good but invited him to play backgammon with her and he did make her laugh and I guess it WAS better than spending her days alone.

I find myself particularly interested in the last ten years of her life lately. Seems like all she did( besides trying to keep busy working) is sit around playing backgammon with friends and other people she pretty much hired to play with her whenever she called upon them to do so. Its been hinted at that she began to see less and less of some of her friends. I wonder why. Its just fascinating to me how lost she seemed to be without work.

I find myself particularly interested in the last ten years of her life lately. Seems like all she did( besides trying to keep busy working) is sit around playing backgammon with friends and other people she pretty much hired to play with her whenever she called upon them to do so. Its been hinted at that she began to see less and less of some of her friends. I wonder why. Its just fascinating to me how lost she seemed to be without work.

One of my mom's sisters was like that, playing those asinine games and wasting her life, coincidentally, she had lost her job too and died shortly thereafter. I think her friends might have grown tired of her controlling everything. Yes, we were all certainly shocked when we read Tannen's and Brochu's books and found her life was so boring and uneventful at the end. Brochu did have a great story of their first meeting though. He sat in this wicker chair and promptly broke it, then he tried another and broke that one also, I think he even broke a third chair before he found one to accommodate his great GIRTH. So, later, he tells Lucy his birthday is coming up and she can give him any birthday present she wants . . . SHE SAID, MAYBE I'LL GET YOU A CHAIR, which I thought was extremely funny for a woman who claimed not to THINK funny.

• 1 month later...

Lucy gives an Emmy-worthy performance in "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball" playing two distinctly different characters as Ball and Carter even when they're dressed up in exactly the same outfit. Her "Lucille Ball" character is hilarious in some very subtle moments such as her reaction to Lucy Carter's lines "I look more like a star than you do" and "(My daughter Kim) looks like you USED to" and her semi-shocked reaction to Cynthia Duncan's ribald Mai Oui lyrics (a brilliant turn by Carole Cook). Love her line reading of : "You don't even leave town. It's just a car. That's it".

"Lucy Carter" flirting with Harry is a wonderful little scene as she floats around him in her Lucille Ball caftan. Kim, of course, looks practically NOTHING like Lucille Ball and has no business being in the contest. And the way they keep throwing in the luxury sports convertible's 8-track stereo tape player feature as if that's just as thrilling as the car.

I wonder what Lucy's reaction was when she first read the line in the script "For a voice as unmusical as mine...."

And why does Miss Ball have a badminton racket in her dressing room?

All in all, a very unusual little episode and a real gem. Though I love "Fights the System", I'm surprised this one was not the series finale.

And a historic side note: We were going to Los Angeles for a week in December 1973 and I wrote Madelyn about getting tickets for a filming. She wrote back that the show scheduled for that week was indeed "Lucy Meets Lucy" which "with the special effects is not going to have an audience."

Lucy gives an Emmy-worthy performance in "Lucy Meets Lucille Ball" playing two distinctly different characters as Ball and Carter even when they're dressed up in exactly the same outfit. Her "Lucille Ball" character is hilarious in some very subtle moments such as her reaction to Lucy Carter's lines "I look more like a star than you do" and "(My daughter Kim) looks like you USED to" and her semi-shocked reaction to Cynthia Duncan's ribald Mai Oui lyrics (a brilliant turn by Carole Cook). Love her line reading of : "You don't even leave town. It's just a car. That's it".

"Lucy Carter" flirting with Harry is a wonderful little scene as she floats around him in her Lucille Ball caftan. Kim, of course, looks practically NOTHING like Lucille Ball and has no business being in the contest. And the way they keep throwing in the luxury sports convertible's 8-track stereo tape player feature as if that's just as thrilling as the car.

I wonder what Lucy's reaction was when she first read the line in the script "For a voice as unmusical as mine...."

And why does Miss Ball have a badminton racket in her dressing room?

All in all, a very unusual little episode and a real gem. Though I love "Fights the System", I'm surprised this one was not the series finale.

And a historic side note: We were going to Los Angeles for a week in December 1973 and I wrote Madelyn about getting tickets for a filming. She wrote back that the show scheduled for that week was indeed "Lucy Meets Lucy" which "with the special effects is not going to have an audience."

Funny, I also always thought Lucy meets Lucy was the last show aired. That way, it would lead into her MAME period . . . the only thing I do not like about Lucy playing Ms Ball is her haughtiness, Lucy, in real life, even though the Queen of all things, was not like that at all.

Funny, I also always thought Lucy meets Lucy was the last show aired. That way, it would lead into her MAME period . . . the only thing I do not like about Lucy playing Ms Ball is her haughtiness, Lucy, in real life, even though the Queen of all things, was not like that at all.

When re-watching Best Foot Forward a few months ago, I realized that Lucy plays "Lucille Ball" the same way she would in Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball 30 years later. Perhaps she really saw herself this way or thought that was the public's perception of her. Lucy had to have played actresses/performers in at least twenty of the movies she made and can't think of any other performance that is so close to her "Lucille Ball" characterization.

When re-watching Best Foot Forward a few months ago, I realized that Lucy plays "Lucille Ball" the same way she would in Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball 30 years later. Perhaps she really saw herself this way or thought that was the public's perception of her. Lucy had to have played actresses/performers in at least twenty of the movies she made and can't think of any other performance that is so close to her "Lucille Ball" characterization.

I think you're right about the public's perception or what she thought that was. I guess when we saw her warm and funny on talk shows that still wasn't the Lucy Ball people would meet on the street or at the market or on Rodeo Drive window shopping.

• 2 months later...

I think you're right about the public's perception or what she thought that was. I guess when we saw her warm and funny on talk shows that still wasn't the Lucy Ball people would meet on the street or at the market or on Rodeo Drive window shopping.

:lol: "....the Lucy Ball people met at the market??!"

Now there's a visual! Lucy romping among the produce section at Gelson's! :HALKING:

Archived