Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just finished watching Lucy's Tenant for the third time since Monday -- such an underrated classic. Everyone in this episode is hilarious -- not just Lucy, Gale and Mary Jane, but also Jackie Coogan and Reta Shaw in her one scene. The writing is top notch and everyone from the cast to the audience seem to be having a blast. The audience seems to be in a near perpetual state of hysteria from the time Cuddles, Lucy's Monday night boyfriend, comes on the scene. Rock on!

Lucy: Lionel!

Harry: Lucille!

Lucy: You're alive!

Harry: I've always been alive!

Lucy: I can't believe it!

Harry: It's really me!

Lucy: After all these years!

Harry: ALL these years! Who's the dude?

Lucy: Mr. Boswell. He's renting a room.

Kermit: Who's he?

Lucy: Captain Carter. He's my husband.

Kermit: Husband?! I thought you were a widow!

Lucy: So did I! :huh:

Mary Jane: Suppose he fell for you. You're a very attractive girl.

Lucy: That's true...

Mary Jane: What did he mean 'swallow a mouse'? Do I sound like a mouse?

Lucy: Of course not... You sound more like a chipmunk.

"Lucy's Tenant" gets my vote as the funniest episode of the series. You are totally right about the audience. They are extremely enthusiastic from the very beginning. Listen to the huge ovation that greets Gale's entrance.

Harry: Who's the dude?

Mary Jane: Is it true?!

Lucy: Is what true?

Mary Jane: You're living with a MAN! :D

Mary Jane: Is he single? Is he rich? Are you engaged? What's that awful smell?

Kermit: They made me take a screen test and they said I came off looking dishonest.

Lucy: :hlLOL: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Kermit: That's not funny.

Lucy: Oh. :lucyblah:

Mary Jane: Your horoscope said, "If opportunity knocks, open the door."

Lucy: Big deal.

Mary Jane: Well, there aren't many knocks at your age.

Lucy: At my age?! Well, listen to Peter Pan!

Lucy the Peacemaker--it was OK. Poor Lucy getting her hopes up and then smashed.

Lucy the Wealthy Widow--Good, their impersonations and slipups were funny.

Lucy's Tenant--Surprised that Kermit was so easily convinced and left so quickly. Wouldn't he have to break the lease somehow?

Lucy and Joan Rivers--funny. I thought they would get caught charading the case. And I totally saw it coming at the end when Lucy changed her vote.

Lucy & Andy Griffith--did not know what the heck was going on ... liked the singing at the beginning though.

Harry Catches Gold Fever--Aside from the fake bear, (how many fake animals are there on this show?!) it was pretty funny, and cool how they were able to build that set containing an actual stream. I knew there had to be a catch with the nuggets that they found. The end reminded me of Fred Mertz when he gave up 400 dollars on the used Cadillac.

The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon--It was OK, but Lucie's Cher impression was great.

Lucy Is a Bird sitter--was pretty much an updated version of "Lucy Gets the Bird." It was funny but it was a similar bird and of course Lucy lost it and tried replacing it with phony.

Meanwhile Back at the Office: Really liked this one. I loved all of Lucy’s lines when she was answering the phones. Lucie’s old lady was very good, I forgot it was her many times. This was the last episode filmed. Was it always planned that it would not be the final one shown? The whole gang here looks to be having a blast. Nice warmth between Lucy and Harry.

Lucy the Sheriff: Ok episode, but I am not a big fan of westerns so that probably hampered my enjoyment. Now I know how to pronounce Florabell’s maiden name, it was said enough.

Harry Catches Gold Fever: I agree that the set for this is pretty impressive. Maybe it’s the new speaker system I got for my TV but that stream had a steady noise of running water. Good job on the realistic aspects, until that damn bear came in. I only like Lucy and real animals not fake ones. How many bears have we had between TLS and HL?

Mary-Jane’s Boyfriend: Another great episode and Lucie’s intro about May Jane was really sweet. One of the best Mary Jane lines of all time “Now I can walk with a book on my head.” Her delivery is perfect. Really loved that Lucy gave an episode to Mary Jane.

Lucy and Phil Harris: I agree with Phil, no costumes- too gimmicky but great music in this. Nice to see Mearl make it into some episodes this season. He really played the piano great. Lucy’s blue dress here is fantastic. I’ve seen pics of it before, but not sure if I ever saw it move. Wish Lucy would have done more in her little Jitterbug costume when she came out.

Some general observations this season: Lucy looks to be having a really good time in some of these episodes. Good guest stars and good use of the stock players. Lucy is sporting a lot of long necklaces, love them. Also her clothing is a lot more hip and very 70’s. Some good pieces that show off more of her figure. I do have two I hate. The blue and white one (wore in the Savings Bond spot) and this red top and bottom that is similar to the blue. Just downright ugh. The one pencil skirt she wears in the office quite a bit, has the most perfectly placed front slit. Meanwhile back at the Office has a part when she bends down to look in the filing cabinet and that split gives her that little sexy leg peak.

Meanwhile Back at the Office: Really liked this one. I loved all of Lucy’s lines when she was answering the phones. Lucie’s old lady was very good, I forgot it was her many times. This was the last episode filmed. Was it always planned that it would not be the final one shown? The whole gang here looks to be having a blast. Nice warmth between Lucy and Harry.

Although it's been said "Meanwhile, Back at the Office" was the last episode filmed, I don't think it's true. Coby Ruskin is credited as director, while Jack Donohue directed the last six episodes of the series. Lucie has longer hair in this one, while in "Where is My Wandering Mother Tonight?" she has a new, very short hairstyle. I can't imagine that "Meanwhile, Back at the Office" would be filmed after this one.

You bring up a very interesting point. I’m not too up on who was directing when, but the tell tale sign is Lucie’s hair. That’s a pretty big change and I think confirms Meanwhile… not being the final episode. Also Harry’s line in the last episode,“I knew it would end like this.”, fits so much better as a last line. After they went to the trouble of creating a “last episode” for Season 5, a smart writer would work in something to wrap it up. I wonder where this rumor got started. The Lucy Book also mentions this being the last filmed episode. It’s even mentioned in the intro on the disk to this episode. Did someone other than Lucie do the introduction to this one? I’m sure she would remember as opposed to a guest/stock actor who was not on that last episode.

You bring up a very interesting point. I’m not too up on who was directing when, but the tell tale sign is Lucie’s hair. That’s a pretty big change and I think confirms Meanwhile… not being the final episode. Also Harry’s line in the last episode,“I knew it would end like this.”, fits so much better as a last line. After they went to the trouble of creating a “last episode” for Season 5, a smart writer would work in something to wrap it up. I wonder where this rumor got started. The Lucy Book also mentions this being the last filmed episode. It’s even mentioned in the intro on the disk to this episode. Did someone other than Lucie do the introduction to this one? I’m sure she would remember as opposed to a guest/stock actor who was not on that last episode.

Lucie did the intro. She's actually the one who says it was the final episode they shot in The Lucy Book. I'm not sure why she thinks that. "Meanwhile, Back at the Office" would have been a great continuation to the season five finale. I wish it had aired early in the season.

Backing up a few posts...

"Lucy Fights the System" was definitely the last episode filmed -- on January 24, 1974.

"Phil Harris" filmed on Jan 10, and "Wandering Mother" on the 17th...

I'm sorry MPI didn't include this kind of info on the discs... I understand, however, that some people don't this kind of thing. There are a few folks at CBS that always argued when we put them on the I LOVE LUCY and LUCY SHOW menus. They said "no one buys these things expecting to READ about the shows..." (To each his own...)

T.

Backing up a few posts...

"Lucy Fights the System" was definitely the last episode filmed -- on January 24, 1974.

"Phil Harris" filmed on Jan 10, and "Wandering Mother" on the 17th...

I'm sorry MPI didn't include this kind of info on the discs... I understand, however, that some people don't this kind of thing. There are a few folks at CBS that always argued when we put them on the I LOVE LUCY and LUCY SHOW menus. They said "no one buys these things expecting to READ about the shows..." (To each his own...)

T.

Geniuses all, that's why the TIFFANY network now stinks like all the others.

as the host goes on (“Good luck with your mouth!”)

Just got mine in the mail..All Christmas preparation have stopped. The only thing I've watched so far is the Mame interview and agree with Brock's always apropos statement....This guy is a buffoon, but Lucy is gracious as always. His harping about the part that drags after the mame number (which I agree with): what's she supposed to say to that??

Just got mine in the mail..All Christmas preparation have stopped. The only thing I've watched so far is the Mame interview and agree with Brock's always apropos statement....This guy is a buffoon, but Lucy is gracious as always. His harping about the part that drags after the mame number (which I agree with): what's she supposed to say to that??

Oh yeah, he's trying to get a rise out of her because he's read what a beeatch from hell she could be.

Archived