Here's Lucy -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Uggghhh......I LOVE the filming/airing dates! IT annoys me as well that Here's Lucy never included them!

Which begs the question, W H Y ? In the words of Joy Behar, SO WHAT? WHO CARES? LOL! I mean, i might be curious about certain ones like the one after the Kennedy assassination or the nuclear war showdown but that's about it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Catches Gold Fever is not nearly as bad as I remembered. Now, if they could have just omitted that damn bear...

The Carters in the outdoors was always a bad omen, episode-equality-wise. On first run, I thought the Gold one from the first season was pretty good---don't remember why exactly. I think it was one of the few outdoor episodes that did not feature a bear/gorila. am I right?

Haven't watched Gold Fever again yet, but I think I liked that one too. Highlight: Gale: "This is no time to play "pushy in the pool!"

The special features were phenomenal!

Dinah: I just love Lucy's energy here. Watching Lucy and Viv so happy made it all. Just like sisters.

Mame interview: If I was Lucy I would've been so ticked off by this interviewer. Lol. She didn't understand what he was saying to her half the time. She did look disappointed and just sad. Don't tell someone that the movie they are in is lagging after the big number. Personally I always loved the ending.

For A Wonderful Life: What is that pose Lucie is doing? Hahaha.

Treasures from Lucy's Vaults: One word, of course, AMAZING.

Off I go to disc one! :)

Loved the Dinah show....A little frustrating that it's edited so much. How did the deleted King of Thailand segment end up on youtube? Is this entire show available somewhere else?

I could not understand what Zsa Zsa was saying. An odd guest to include int he show anyway.

I think Lucy looks better in the black wig than she does in the wig-style she was wearing at the time.

It was great to see Lucy and Viv bantering. This is the way talk shows used to be. People talked to each other and comments/jokes were not directed at the audience so much. I don't know how I missed this one in 1975 unless our local station wasn't running Dinah.

I watched Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball......That Lucille Ball is certainly accessible. Even if you show up at her office and she's not there, you get to brouse around! A pretty funny show. You can forgive the contrivances of getting the wrong Lucy in the room for reactions. Lucille Ball does a remarkable acting job, playing them as two separate characters, even when they're in the same outfit and wig ("You can keep that one for the contest"----). And she looks GREAT, especially as Lucille Ball.

But why wasn't her Mai Oui jingle written in a little lower key? She seems to be struggling with the high notes.

I love the bit at the end where Lucy Carter goes on and on about representing Mai Oui around the world and Lucille Ball muttered this remark, practically under her breath:

"You don't even leave town. It's just a car. That's it."

Loved the Dinah show....A little frustrating that it's edited so much. How did the deleted King of Thailand segment end up on youtube? Is this entire show available somewhere else?

I could not understand what Zsa Zsa was saying. An odd guest to include int he show anyway.

I think Lucy looks better in the black wig than she does in the wig-style she was wearing at the time.

It was great to see Lucy and Viv bantering. This is the way talk shows used to be. People talked to each other and comments/jokes were not directed at the audience so much. I don't know how I missed this one in 1975 unless our local station wasn't running Dinah.

I watched Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball......That Lucille Ball is certainly accessible. Even if you show up at her office and she's not there, you get to brouse around! A pretty funny show. You can forgive the contrivances of getting the wrong Lucy in the room for reactions. Lucille Ball does a remarkable acting job, playing them as two separate characters, even when they're in the same outfit and wig ("You can keep that one for the contest"----). And she looks GREAT, especially as Lucille Ball.

But why wasn't her Mai Oui jingle written in a little lower key? She seems to be struggling with the high notes.

I love the bit at the end where Lucy Carter goes on and on about representing Mai Oui around the world and Lucille Ball muttered this remark, practically under her breath:

"You don't even leave town. It's just a car. That's it."

Funny, i thought she was great as Lucy Carter but off the mark a bit as Lucy Ball. She seems a bit haughty here, not the fun loving comon gal we knew she really was in real life.

Have watched a couple of random episodes that I don't remember much about "Peacemaker" and "Bow Wow Boutique".

One question : Did Eydie Gorme and Bob Williams have the same acting coach?

In Peacemaker Lucy's typewriter rendition of "If He Walked..." sounds pretty darn good....again, the irony of so many of her vocals, it sounds better than she does on the Mame soundtrack. Did I detect a workable vibrato?

Bow Bow.....well, it's better than I thought it would be with that title. Seemed like there were a lot of adlibbed filler lines. Dialogue much less rigid than normal. Sort of a refreshing change, though not necessarily funny. I'm not quite sure what was so wonderful about Williams's dog act. To Bob Williams I say, paraphrasing Gary Morton, "Cheer down!"

How funny to see Lucy's "Black Wig" hairdresser this much later...looking pretty much the same.

I have not witnessed Eydie's acting anywhere else. Is she always this BAD? Would make sense that she's not actress. If she had been, with that voice she might have done stage musicals: even Mame. She walks through this show so uncomfortably you'd think she hadn't had any rehearsal at all.

This episode may have been the highest rated of the season. One of Nielsen lists I found a while back had this one at #6 for the week.

She and Steve did a musical in 1968 "Golden Rainbow" that I know nothing about.

Rumor has it that she was offered Broadway's Funny girl but turned it down when the producers wouldn't cast Steve as Nick Arnstein. Not sure about this as he was in another show at about the same time "What Makes Sammy Run?".

As evidenced by his CBurnett appearances, he holds his own as a comic actor. A shame he didn't do more of that on his variety series. Lucy's appearance made the debut so stellar, maybe it wasn't as good in subsequent weeks. Could this have been the last high profile variety show that originated from New York City? (not counting Sullivan)...not a good change, IMO because other than Carol, none of the Hollywood shows had any level of live excitement.

According to imdb, Gorme is 7 years older than Lawrence which I was not aware of. Evidently that's not as noteworthy as the 5 1/2 year difference between Lucy and Desi which is mentioned as if they're a generation apart.

Does Lawrence still perform? I know Eydie doesn't. I heard that she never fully recovered from the sudden death of her adult son (from natural causes)---which I can fully understand.

I saw Lucy's appearance on the Las Vegas special---done around the same time--but don't remember much about it. The show was their live stage act, but Lucy's bit was not done in Vegas. As I recall, Eydie went to her dressing room at intermission and Lucy's there giving her catty pointers, leading to the two of them doing "Bosom Buddies" with Lucy doing mostly talk-singing instead of trying for the notes.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, always loved Steve and Eydie and can't imagine her beuing anything but great, will have to look at it again. Of course, she was always singing, not comedic acting.

Well, her singing is great but her particular acting on this show ... I don't know. It just seemed off. I had the same problem with Milton Berle's wife, but Eydie was better than her. lol

Steve Lawrence still performs. Eydie is retired. I think her retirement is due to hearing loss.

Eydie was one of the many, many singer/actresses considered for Funny Girl and she was supposedly offered the role. Eydie was also reportedly offered the role of Rosie in Bye, Bye Birdie. Eydie's acting in Golden Rainbow was not reviewed positively. I think she missed a lot of performances during the run as well.

The Steve Lawrence Show was one of the last TV shows to premiere in black and white. Perhaps that had something to do with it's quick cancellation.

Well, her singing is great but her particular acting on this show ... I don't know. It just seemed off. I had the same problem with Milton Berle's wife, but Eydie was better than her. lol

Well, there ya go, Ruth Berle wasn't even a professional, she had an excuse. And she's doing that fun bubbly thing Lucy loved. As for Eydie, i thought about what you both said and true, maybe she DID deliver her lines in that fake Lawrence Welk type tone, playing too much for the audience, yeah, you're right. But as a singer, she was tops.I was so sorry to hear about one of her two boys dying so young, i know how close they were and you know what they say about a parent burying a child, no wonder she retired after that.

Steve Lawrence still performs. Eydie is retired. I think her retirement is due to hearing loss.

Eydie was one of the many, many singer/actresses considered for Funny Girl and she was supposedly offered the role. Eydie was also reportedly offered the role of Rosie in Bye, Bye Birdie. Eydie's acting in Golden Rainbow was not reviewed positively. I think she missed a lot of performances during the run as well.

The Steve Lawrence Show was one of the last TV shows to premiere in black and white. Perhaps that had something to do with it's quick cancellation.

Yeah, i know, imagine how great those terrific LUCY numbers would have been in COLOR. And the flak Lucy took for being on the premiere, which they only did for ratings when his own wife wasn't asked on till much later.

Funny, i thought she was great as Lucy Carter but off the mark a bit as Lucy Ball. She seems a bit haughty here, not the fun loving comon gal we knew she really was in real life.

I thought the same thing. I think the Lucy character was left alone, but Lucille was an extravagant Lucy. A very upper class dignitary. She seems to be playing her to look down to the Carter character, often giving her nasty looks, hiding her face with her hands, talking slower with less normalcy than pinasch. Not to mention her slappin her on her ask with than dan tennis racket! lol sunva bench lol I like this episode, but I dont like the way Lucy played herself, but its probably better that way, could you imagine if the chemistry was great between them on screen like Patty Dukes show? lolol ...a lucy situation, with both Lucys...omg lol

I thought the same thing. I think the Lucy character was left alone, but Lucille was an extravagant Lucy. A very upper class dignitary. She seems to be playing her to look down to the Carter character, often giving her nasty looks, hiding her face with her hands, talking slower with less normalcy than pinasch. Not to mention her slappin her on her ask with than dan tennis racket! lol sunva bench lol I like this episode, but I dont like the way Lucy played herself, but its probably better that way, could you imagine if the chemistry was great between them on screen like Patty Dukes show? lolol ...a lucy situation, with both Lucys...omg lol

I know, that`s the thing, she HAD too play it that way as in real life she WAS exactly like Lucy Carter, but rich and famous, LOL! It was to contrast the two.

I know, that`s the thing, she HAD too play it that way as in real life she WAS exactly like Lucy Carter, but rich and famous, LOL! It was to contrast the two.

AGREED, she had to take those small differences- like being a bit more serious, and speaking lower and not with a high voice-and exaggerate them to bring the contrast, so I get it, but I still think the Lucille character could have been a little more warm.

Its SO FUNNY to see Lucille try to be Lucille Ball, and not see Lucille Ball be comfotable as Lucy lol

Because she still acts like its the 1940s war bond effort. She may kid and carry on, but once its her cue to talk,she takes a big breath through in through her nostrils, puckers her lips for 1.5 seconds, glares at the cue cards, and speaks with a DEESTTIINNGusiSHENG DICtion and ELOQUENCY, lol as if shes reporting something on behalf of the white house. lol She takes her regal RKO-MGM glamour training so seriously, even at this late stage in the game.

AGREED, she had to take those small differences- like being a bit more serious, and speaking lower and not with a high voice-and exaggerate them to bring the contrast, so I get it, but I still think the Lucille character could have been a little more warm.

Its SO FUNNY to see Lucille try to be Lucille Ball, and not see Lucille Ball be comfotable as Lucy lol

Because she still acts like its the 1940s war bond effort. She may kid and carry on, but once its her cue to talk,she takes a big breath through in through her nostrils, puckers her lips for 1.5 seconds, glares at the cue cards, and speaks with a DEESTTIINNGusiSHENG DICtion and ELOQUENCY, lol as if shes reporting something on behalf of the white house. lol She takes her regal RKO-MGM glamour training so seriously, even at this late stage in the game.

Well, some of those breaths or pauses were due to the filming of BOTH sides with her doing BOTH, you know, she had to accomodate the required dialogue that fit in there at precise moments.

Archived