LIFE Farewell: Remembering The Friends We Lost In 2012

Brock

Although it doesn't look like we'll be getting the Lucy At 100 book from Life Magazine as promised, they have been on a roll with special edition magazines/books. I picked up a great one today called "Farewell: Remembering The Friends We Lost in 2012". It is one of the classiest tribute books I've seen in quite a long time and includes great tributes -- including four page spreads on Phyllis Diller and Andy Griffith, and two page tributes to many other people but (as mentioned in the Scholarship thread) I was pleasantly shocked and thrilled to see a beautiful, FULL PAGE portrait of Doris Singleton and a half-page write up on the opposite page with Don Grady. (See below) The book is pricier than some of their other recent releases ($16.95 in Canada), but it is well worth it! The blurb might not be perfect, but the Television Academy should take a lesson from Life Magazine.

lifefarewell-01.jpg

lifefarewell-02.jpg

lifefarewell-03.jpg

Although it doesn't look like we'll be getting the Lucy At 100 book from Life Magazine as promised, they have been on a roll with special edition magazines/books. I picked up a great one today called "Farewell: Remembering The Friends We Lost in 2012". It is one of the classiest tribute books I've seen in quite a long time and includes great tributes -- including four page spreads on Phyllis Diller and Andy Griffith, and two page tributes to many other people but (as mentioned in the Scholarship thread) I was pleasantly shocked and thrilled to see a beautiful, FULL PAGE portrait of Doris Singleton and a half-page write up on the opposite page with Don Grady. (See below) The book is pricier than some of their other recent releases ($16.95 in Canada), but it is well worth it! The blurb might not be perfect, but the Television Academy should take a lesson from Life Magazine.

lifefarewell-01.jpg

lifefarewell-02.jpg

DORIS!! Cool! :D

So many famous people pass away in a single year that when you see these tribute montages whether they're on tv or in print, you forget some of the ones that left us in any given year. Looking at that list, i am stunned at the names that exited the world that i just forgot about, i mean Davy Jones? Don Grady? So young to leave us. You're right, this seems to be well presented. Imagine what they would have done with Lucy in that 100th year one.

Just goes to show that the editors (young or old) decided to class the special edition up a bit with the inclusion of the lovely Doris. She could have easily been omitted or just given a small photo.

With the TV Academy not including her in the video memorial segment on this past Emmys, we were all very disappointed, but that's always a tough one. Hopefully, she will be in the tribute at the upcoming SAG Awards, but if not, that's life.

Speaking of LIFE though, their decision is stellar and the tribute is well-deserved!

Just goes to show that the editors (young or old) decided to class the special edition up a bit with the inclusion of the lovely Doris. She could have easily been omitted or just given a small photo.

With the TV Academy not including her in the video memorial segment on this past Emmys, we were all very disappointed, but that's always a tough one. Hopefully, she will be in the tribute at the upcoming SAG Awards, but if not, that's life.

Speaking of LIFE though, their decision is stellar and the tribute is well-deserved!

Actually I seriously doubt the staff at LIFE even knew who Doris Singleton was before reviewing the year's deaths. The credit really belongs to the Lucy fans and websites on the internet (certainly with THE LUCY LOUNGE leading the list) giving Doris her due. They probably went over the lists of deaths, looked Doris up on the internet and saw the praise and remembrances here and elsewhere. I don't think Mary Jane Croft or perhaps even Gale Gordon got much if any acknowledgement in year-end memorial issues of Life, People, Us, etc. when they passed away. So the credit really belongs to the Lucy fans for remembering Doris or like you mentioned, Life would have probably just ignored her or had a tiny mention.

Doris and her characters have always been so endearing the world over though, I'm sure it was an easy decision for the LIFE editors. There are few characters you love to hate and hate to love as much as Carolyn. :)

I still haven't come across a copy of this special issue in local stores; these 'spensive Life/People tributes don't seem to sell very well at the Walmarts and grocery stores so I guess they've quit carrying them now in Hooterville so I'll have to go into the city to a major bookstore chain to see it, not that I'm gonna buy it; these sort of books are usually half price or less in a year or so at Barnes and Noble or ebay.

I still haven't come across a copy of this special issue in local stores; these 'spensive Life/People tributes don't seem to sell very well at the Walmarts and grocery stores so I guess they've quit carrying them now in Hooterville so I'll have to go into the city to a major bookstore chain to see it, not that I'm gonna buy it; these sort of books are usually half price or less in a year or so at Barnes and Noble or ebay.

I saw this special issue of HELLO about the great lovers of all time, Liz and Dick, Bacall and Bogart,, that sort of thin, but no Lucy and Desi so i left it there, too SPENSIVE anyway, like you said.

I'll be looking, too.

Don't you have one major magazine/bookstore in your city that carries absolutely everything? You could spend hours in there, seeing everything we don't normall get to see.

I guess these annual lists must start with mid-December from the year prior.

Jack Klugman and Charles Durning would be top of the list for the year 2014, I guess! Does anybody recall who passed away mid to late December of 2011? Are they included in 2012?

Is it that or the year of the award shows that presents them, like Oscar being from the year before, when the oscar aired and then finishing just with enough time to make their montage for the show, same for the Golden Globes and such. The calendar year FOR those award shows.

Is it that or the year of the award shows that presents them, like Oscar being from the year before, when the oscar aired and then finishing just with enough time to make their montage for the show, same for the Golden Globes and such. The calendar year FOR those award shows.

Yes you're right the awards shows go by the calendar year of who passed away since the last broadcast up until a week or so before the next awards. Of course there are always some controversial omissions and I think they should have some sort of comittee check over the list to make sure somebody is not being conspiciously snubbed as has often been the case.

Unfortunately, these "annual" magazines pretty much ignore anyone who dies in December. They almost always go by Jan-Nov as if no one is going to keel over in December! They want the magazines on the newstands of course by mid December since it's going to have a limited shelf span and probably will be pulled before the end of January.

[

The only place I've seen it at is CVS Drugstore.

The only place I've seen it at is CVS Drugstore.

Thanks I'll check my local one. As I mentioned, it's odd but it appears none of the grocery stores or Walmart/Kmart are carrying it, I guess those "special issues" are too pricey to sell many copies to people shopping for "the basics" rather than an impulse purchase. All those Life special issues never seemed to move when they carried them in the past so I guess they've stopped. I'm sure it's at the major book stores and all but I have go 25 miles into town for that and anyway, as I mentioned, I'm just curious not buying.

Archived