Pioneers of Television - The Soon-to-be-Broadcast 'Season 3' is Scheduled for DVD: Lucy & Carol & Betty!

JoeySanJoaquin

Again, we have our own heartfelt opinions here so no, sorry I don't agree: she's warm, charming, still beautiful (yes, I've just recently had the pleasure of finally meeting her and she couldn't be more lovely, so maybe I'm just biased) but I truly feel she deserves every accolade, award, attention, etc. etc. She's worked long and hard and why shouldn't she bask in the limelight?

Did we begrudge Bob Hope, George Burns and others when they reached a certain age, still appeared in/on crap shows, movies etc. but still were adored and revered by their peers and public? Why should Bets be treated any differently. I don't think so.

She's a national treasure. Let's enjoy her for as long as she wants to keep going! :D

Oh i agree wholeheartedly, Bob was adored because of his constant work with the troops overseas, not for his crappy shows, George gave the performance of a lifetime and got an Oscar for it, but when Bob, Sid Ceasar and Milton Berle came out to a standing ovation at the Emmys one year, none of them said a word and we knew that would be the last time we'd see any of them. Wheras Betty is still a joy to listen to on talk shows, and saves a crappy sitcom from oblivion with her part in it, they're using her to save that lousy show, she's on specials and is still sharp as a tack, love that but again, one last time, i adore her but wish some of this had happened to Lucy and i feel the same way those people who bitched about her fourth Emmy saying ENOUGH, look at other people, well, i'm saying ENOUGH also, yes she's great, but you don't need to give her more Emmys for work that is certainly not as worthy as her two greatest roles, Sue Ann and Rose. When Fidleman writes a book on her, he'll say it was all downhill after those two roles, LOL!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree with everything you said Claude, i unsderstand that you're pissed that they didn't give this type of adulation to Lucy when she was around and that you don't resent Betty getting so much either.

:bill1: Well, he's finally crossed that thin dividing line.

These shows never went to air on tv down here and I have both season 1 and 2 on dvd (8 episodes altogether) -- I suspect these shows are on a budget and most likely it was too expensive to get Lucy footage.

That will be the way with documentaries from now on, it has ben nearly 10 years or so, since the advent of Napster and file sharing websites and the music and movie/tv companies winning legal judgments to retieve the billions they lost on those years of piracy, and never letting these new revenue streams stop in any way -- much more reliance on pd footage and 10 second grabs here and there from notable, historic tv shows -- all to do with music/estate rights and charging thousands of dollars by the second.

Ok, i thought there was too much jumping around from this star to that one, it should have been done in order. Too much Seacrest, can't stand him, but he was ok for narration, the research wasn't that great though. The one true Pioneer was Gertrude Berg and she gets one line at the end. I still liked it though, enough Lucy was sprinkled about here and there to make it a worthwhile event special. Too much repetition though, waste of time, and too much inclusion of males when it's called FUNNY LADIES. Still, quite good, packed quite the punch.

:lucyhaha: Her resemblance to Lassie is quite evident there.

I wonder who chose the end credit pictures because they typically did a terrible job. The pictures are almost always unflattering of everyone. I just chose some of my favorites for my montage.

I liked some of em lol

What do you mean?

That they should not have focused on so many clips of Desi, Harvey Korman and especially Tim Conway. This was supposed to be about the ladies. This made it look like Tim was the funniest thing about Carol`s show. CAROL was the best thing about her show, i adore Tim but let him be on a special about second bananas or something.

Well. IMO, Gracie Allen did not, as usual, get adequately recognized. Other than "ILL," "Burns and Allen" is one of the few sitcoms from the 1950s that's still enjoyable for other reasons than just nostalgia.

Absolutely right, didnt realize she was missing till you mentionned her name. And many others were missing also, where were Ann Sothern, Donna Reed, Gale Storm and countless others.

Good points, Monsewer! :D

At least the Museum of Broadcasting one on the Funny Ladies got that part right, they included them in scenes and even in person for some of them. It sure was nice to see Pat Carroll again, have always loved her, she's a good twin for Kaye Ballard, two gloriously talented ladies who do comedy perfectly.

And many others were missing also, where were Ann Sothern, Donna Reed, Gale Storm and countless others.

I agree with you with respect to Ann Sothern. I have only seen a few episodes of "Private Secretary" (a/k/a "Susie"), but I really enjoyed and much prefer her second sitcom, "The Ann Sothern Show." I saw all the episodes of that one back when "Nick at Nite" actually included black and white shows.

Sorry, but I find Gale Storm's shows too dated and her style a bit grating. Donna Reed was a good actress and in a sitcom, but I don't (perhaps wrongly) think of her as a "funny lady."

And on the subject of Donna Reed, I was in the great minority way back when she temporaily essayed the role of "Miss Ellie" on "Dallas." I liked her on that -- not so dowdy and drab as Barbara Bel Geddes.

I agree with you with respect to Ann Sothern. I have only seen a few episodes of "Private Secretary" (a/k/a "Susie"), but I really enjoyed and much prefer her second sitcom, "The Ann Sothern Show." I saw all the episodes of that one back when "Nick at Nite" actually included black and white shows.

Sorry, but I find Gale Storm's shows too dated and her style a bit grating. Donna Reed was a good actress and in a sitcom, but I don't (perhaps wrongly) think of her as a "funny lady."

And on the subject of Donna Reed, I was in the great minority way back when she temporaily essayed the role of "Miss Ellie" on "Dallas." I liked her on that -- not so dowdy and drab as Barbara Bel Geddes.

That was a thankless task, as nobody but nobody could match Miss Ellie as portrayed by the great Barbara Bel Geddes.

Archived