Lucy’s Terms of Endearment

Luvsbway

These are the little affectionate things I have noticed about Lucy over the years, whether in her acting, candid life or photos.

Pets and Babies- Whenever Lucy has a baby in her arms or a pet (dog, cat, domestic fuzzy animal) she holds them to her cheek (sort of a cheek to cheek thing) to be affectionate towards them. Most people would probably hold the baby/pet out in front of them, but the cheek to cheek touch is so precious. Her voice will change in tone as she talks to them as well.

Lucy’s Pet Names- ILL provides the most pet names uttered, of course it was about love. Frequently from both Lucy and Desi you heard “sweetheart” and “honey”. But “baby” is the one I pick up the most. I think this is Lucy’s preferred pet name. If you think back to the Home Movies and the love letters that are read, I remember “baby” being used a lot. You hear it on the show from both parties as well and in a more heartfelt tone then the “sweetheart” and “honeys”. Going with the pet thing from above, the cheek to cheek hold is often accompanied by a “baby”. Example- after Mame falls off the horse and she gets the fox to come to her. The part that confirms “baby” for me is on Here’s Lucy you hear Lucy frequently call the kids “baby”. I can’t even count how many “Kim babies” there were over 6 seasons. Since I have caught on to this in the past couple months I’ve found that Lucy rarely uses it outside of her own family.

Lucy’s Letter Signing-As we know Lucy liked to sign her autograph as “Love Lucy”, but when you are signing that for all the world you’d want to be more personal to your spouse when signing your love notes. I’ve seen a few letters over the years, letters to Gary from that controversial auction and letters to Desi in the Home Movies. The two ways I’ve seen Lucy sign the most are, “Your Wife” and “The Misses”. Both so sweet. There is one letter in the Home Movies she signs “Your Wife”. I wonder if that is a subtle reminder, “don’t forget you have a wife, so stop screwing around”. The other thing Lucy does I find sweet, is on letters at the top she will write where and what time she is writing the letter.

Kissing Lucy- We all know that ILL had some great kissing moments. But what about those unscripted kisses. One thing I have been noticing a lot is how Desi will kiss Lucy in a more casual way, as he is in passing, coming in or out of a room, in a hurry, etc… He doesn’t kiss her on the lips but rather by her cheek towards her ear. It’s frequently on her left side as well, although on occasion I have seen it on the right. Since I started to notice this, I’m seeing it in photos as well. The one that comes to mind is the one someone had posted a few months ago from the Emmy’s in the 50’s.

These are the little affectionate things I have noticed about Lucy over the years, whether in her acting, candid life or photos.

Pets and Babies- Whenever Lucy has a baby in her arms or a pet (dog, cat, domestic fuzzy animal) she holds them to her cheek (sort of a cheek to cheek thing) to be affectionate towards them. Most people would probably hold the baby/pet out in front of them, but the cheek to cheek touch is so precious. Her voice will change in tone as she talks to them as well.

Lucy’s Pet Names- ILL provides the most pet names uttered, of course it was about love. Frequently from both Lucy and Desi you heard “sweetheart” and “honey”. But “baby” is the one I pick up the most. I think this is Lucy’s preferred pet name. If you think back to the Home Movies and the love letters that are read, I remember “baby” being used a lot. You hear it on the show from both parties as well and in a more heartfelt tone then the “sweetheart” and “honeys”. Going with the pet thing from above, the cheek to cheek hold is often accompanied by a “baby”. Example- after Mame falls off the horse and she gets the fox to come to her. The part that confirms “baby” for me is on Here’s Lucy you hear Lucy frequently call the kids “baby”. I can’t even count how many “Kim babies” there were over 6 seasons. Since I have caught on to this in the past couple months I’ve found that Lucy rarely uses it outside of her own family.

Lucy’s Letter Signing-As we know Lucy liked to sign her autograph as “Love Lucy”, but when you are signing that for all the world you’d want to be more personal to your spouse when signing your love notes. I’ve seen a few letters over the years, letters to Gary from that controversial auction and letters to Desi in the Home Movies. The two ways I’ve seen Lucy sign the most are, “Your Wife” and “The Misses”. Both so sweet. There is one letter in the Home Movies she signs “Your Wife”. I wonder if that is a subtle reminder, “don’t forget you have a wife, so stop screwing around”. The other thing Lucy does I find sweet, is on letters at the top she will write where and what time she is writing the letter.

Kissing Lucy- We all know that ILL had some great kissing moments. But what about those unscripted kisses. One thing I have been noticing a lot is how Desi will kiss Lucy in a more casual way, as he is in passing, coming in or out of a room, in a hurry, etc… He doesn’t kiss her on the lips but rather by her cheek towards her ear. It’s frequently on her left side as well, although on occasion I have seen it on the right. Since I started to notice this, I’m seeing it in photos as well. The one that comes to mind is the one someone had posted a few months ago from the Emmy’s in the 50’s.

I love this! lol Ive noticed all of these. ESPECIALLY the term honey. Honey is used on every one in every scene expect between Fred and Ricky lol and even Fred says it to Ricky acting as Lucy on their way to Europe lol

Ive notice she also GRABS people lol On set or in person, when she is enjoying the scene, or happy to see someone, she grabs em! or hides behind em, or into them lol She grabs Bob Hopes face a lot, and he grabs her shoulders lol.

I also noticed Lucy, as you wrote, was a note giver, that is cute in and of itself lol

I like how Lucy never makes her fans look bad or unwelcome- whenever on a game show, or an event where her fans showed up, she recognized them in one way or another. she could have sent word out before the show sending thanks, but shed wait until every one was there, and the cameras were rolling,to say thanks or blow a kiss

I noticed something about her and kissing Ricky, she takes her fingers and femininely wipes off her lipstick residue lol from his lips. THATS SO ROMANTIC!lol She does this to Gary too, but I remember mostly seeing it in the show.

Omg yes. Noticed these all to a tee! I'm guilty of the pet and children one myself. I love holding them cheek to cheek. There is just something about it, it is closer and more affectionous (is that even a word? Haha.) to me.

I've mentioned this one another thread about how when she has a romantic scene particularly with Desi how as she talks to them she runs her hand underneath or plays with their shit jacket flap.

Also have you ever notice her hugs? A lot of people hug arms opposite or around the neck and waist but with Lucy she hugs around the arms and the other person around her waist. You'll see the other two thrown in there occasionally but mostly the other.

I also love how in interviews ,mostly the Dinah and Merv Griffin, when she is close to someone she'll casually place her body focus towards them with her arm flung over the chair. It's just very warm. Or if not she might have her arm on their leg or something. Little gestures.

Another thing I love about her interviews is her playing of her hair, looking at her nails, adjusting her collar, cuffs, pant legs, etc, etc.

Omg yes. Noticed these all to a tee! I'm guilty of the pet and children one myself. I love holding them cheek to cheek. There is just something about it, it is closer and more affectionous (is that even a word? Haha.) to me.

I've mentioned this one another thread about how when she has a romantic scene particularly with Desi how as she talks to them she runs her hand underneath or plays with their shit jacket flap.

Also have you ever notice her hugs? A lot of people hug arms opposite or around the neck and waist but with Lucy she hugs around the arms and the other person around her waist. You'll see the other two thrown in there occasionally but mostly the other.

I also love how in interviews ,mostly the Dinah and Merv Griffin, when she is close to someone she'll casually place her body focus towards them with her arm flung over the chair. It's just very warm. Or if not she might have her arm on their leg or something. Little gestures.

Another thing I love about her interviews is her playing of her hair, looking at her nails, adjusting her collar, cuffs, pant legs, etc, etc.

I noticed this when editing one of the Joan Rivers Tonight Show clip on youtube-she hold on to the guys hand whose sitting next to her, rubbing it and squeezing it.

Like you said, those small becoming things made her so charming. Eye contact too. when she gives eye contact, its like a stair down, in interviews lol

Her hands!

When she smokes cigarettes how she plays/touches her ring and pinky finger with her thumb and has her hand next to her face with the other arm under that elbow. Lol.

I've also notice while drinking coffee with one hand she'll do the same finger thing with the free hand.

Her side biting of her thumb nail. She does this also when acting, especially as Lucy. I see Lucie also doing this sometimes.

The first one, gimme an example so i can go see it for myself, the last one was just nerves, annoying as hell but nerves yes.

I noticed this when editing one of the Joan Rivers Tonight Show clip on youtube-she hold on to the guys hand whose sitting next to her, rubbing it and squeezing it.

Like you said, those small becoming things made her so charming. Eye contact too. when she gives eye contact, its like a stair down, in interviews lol

Yeah, she did that with Doc Severensen , grabbing his arm and squeezing it in a very affectionate way. She also says when coming out that she was looking for him with the band, not realizing he was replacing McMahon on the couch as Joan was guest hosting.

The first one, gimme an example so i can go see it for myself, the last one was just nerves, annoying as hell but nerves yes.

I believe she does it in the Amatuer Hour when trying to butter up Ricky on the couch.

But that's why I like it, it shows that you can be on top of the world and have those nerves. Idk its a huge part of interviews to me. lol.

When she kisses Ricky, they'll oftentimes do three very quick little smooches directly on the lips. I think this was probably a Lucy/Desi thing, brought over from real life.

Not a term of endearment, but Lucy will also clap her hands together in front of her whenever a solution to a scheme or the scheme itself occurs to her, then she'll punch the air.

Also, notice that whenever she talks on the telephone, the receiver is held away from her face. Probably to allow the camera full view, but she does it the same way every time--from I Love Lucy all the way up through Life with Lucy!

When she kisses Ricky, they'll oftentimes do three very quick little smooches directly on the lips. I think this was probably a Lucy/Desi thing, brought over from real life.

Not a term of endearment, but Lucy will also clap her hands together in front of her whenever a solution to a scheme or the scheme itself occurs to her, then she'll punch the air.

Also, notice that whenever she talks on the telephone, the receiver is held away from her face. Probably to allow the camera full view, but she does it the same way every time--from I Love Lucy all the way up through Life with Lucy!

And in personal appearances at the end, she'd raise her arms, which is one way to guarantee a standing ovation, only saw her do it once and not succeed.

Very good observation on the hugs. You are right she does do that around the shoulders hug, never really took notice to it. She does it to Viv on the Dinah episode for a more current example. You can tell when she is generally happy to see someone, she hangs onto those hugs pretty long. The Viv one is pretty long and so are the Gale and Bob ones on the Merv Griffin show. I love how she will also pull back to look at the person in the face and then hug them once more.

This shifting of the body towards the person was something I think I first picked up on the Dinah episode but it’s so nice, because you can tell she wants to give all her attention to that person. I love how she takes Viv and pulls her closer to her on the couch.

I think Claude is right that this is a nervous sort of habit. You really see this in the 70’s and 80’s interviews. And Lucy always seemed to have cotton mouth. What kind of drugs was she taking? I notice some fidgeting she does in her acting but not to this degree.

They do this quick kiss thing so well I do sometimes think that it might be a thing between them, but I also think the censors come into question here. Especially in the first season you see a lot of them kissing. And passionate kisses too, but never for too long (except that one at the end of Girl Singer that eventually was cut shorter). I think it is in the movie Double Indemnity there is a famous kissing scene that goes on for a very long time. Well, it got past the Hayes code because it is broke up with dialogue. The quick kiss thing may have been to get past the censors, because if you think about it sometimes the quick kisses go on for longer than a full out kiss.

Three favorite kisses that go beyond acting:

Long Long Trailer- Tacy in bed at the trailer park. The interplay between Lucy and Desi here is wonderful. She talks through her kisses but still keeps kissing, Desi runs his hand along her face and then kisses her again at the end of the scene.

Hollywood Anniversary- The very ending when they have this really long kiss that tends to grow in intensity. They break and Lucy touches his lips and says what looks like “I Love You”.

Pregnant Women are Unpredictable- This whole dance is charming but towards the end Lucy sort of just melts into Ricky. At the end when she kisses him, she doesn’t even open her eyes but finds his lips.

I noticed the phone thing in a movie of Lucy’s I was watching from the 30’s the other night. It’s done so that the receiver is not in front of your mouth and you can hear the lines. Probably taught in Acting 101.

Anytime Lucille gets really excited she is so cute. Dinah and Merv Griffin interviews are the best places to see this. When Viv gets out her contract, the way Lucy expresses her excitement is so genuine and adorable. She does this similar sort of thing when Gale and Bob are introduced on the Merv Griffin show. She’s like a little kid so excited to see them come out. And I have to mention how much I like her “Who Dat?” phrase. I’ve noticed it even in her acting, Easy to Wed being a good example.

Very good observation on the hugs. You are right she does do that around the shoulders hug, never really took notice to it. She does it to Viv on the Dinah episode for a more current example. You can tell when she is generally happy to see someone, she hangs onto those hugs pretty long. The Viv one is pretty long and so are the Gale and Bob ones on the Merv Griffin show. I love how she will also pull back to look at the person in the face and then hug them once more.

This shifting of the body towards the person was something I think I first picked up on the Dinah episode but it’s so nice, because you can tell she wants to give all her attention to that person. I love how she takes Viv and pulls her closer to her on the couch.

I think Claude is right that this is a nervous sort of habit. You really see this in the 70’s and 80’s interviews. And Lucy always seemed to have cotton mouth. What kind of drugs was she taking? I notice some fidgeting she does in her acting but not to this degree.

She also always closes her eyes while hugging someone. Huge warm embrace.

But like I said I love those nervous little things she does. It stands out to me when watching her. I can never explain why but I do.

She also always closes her eyes while hugging someone. Huge warm embrace.

But like I said I love those nervous little things she does. It stands out to me when watching her. I can never explain why but I do.

She used to do that sexy lifting of the leg thing when kissing sometimes, which others have done, but she does it so well.

They do this quick kiss thing so well I do sometimes think that it might be a thing between them, but I also think the censors come into question here. Especially in the first season you see a lot of them kissing. And passionate kisses too, but never for too long (except that one at the end of Girl Singer that eventually was cut shorter). I think it is in the movie Double Indemnity there is a famous kissing scene that goes on for a very long time. Well, it got past the Hayes code because it is broke up with dialogue. The quick kiss thing may have been to get past the censors, because if you think about it sometimes the quick kisses go on for longer than a full out kiss.

Three favorite kisses that go beyond acting:

Long Long Trailer- Tacy in bed at the trailer park. The interplay between Lucy and Desi here is wonderful. She talks through her kisses but still keeps kissing, Desi runs his hand along her face and then kisses her again at the end of the scene.

Hollywood Anniversary- The very ending when they have this really long kiss that tends to grow in intensity. They break and Lucy touches his lips and says what looks like “I Love You”.

Pregnant Women are Unpredictable- This whole dance is charming but towards the end Lucy sort of just melts into Ricky. At the end when she kisses him, she doesn’t even open her eyes but finds his lips.

I noticed the phone thing in a movie of Lucy’s I was watching from the 30’s the other night. It’s done so that the receiver is not in front of your mouth and you can hear the lines. Probably taught in Acting 101.

I could be wrong, but I think the kiss you're talking about was actually in Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious, between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. They were pressed right up against one another, and the camera slowly pans around them--and the kissing is broken up by dialogue, but the clinch is not. Pretty steamy for the day!

I could be wrong, but I think the kiss you're talking about was actually in Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious, between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. They were pressed right up against one another, and the camera slowly pans around them--and the kissing is broken up by dialogue, but the clinch is not. Pretty steamy for the day!

Lucy and Desi probably did the tv version?

Has any one seen Ricky or Lucy slip tongue in while kissing?

I remember the wedding kiss scene on Long Long Trailer has some tongue in it lol YUCK!! lol

I m just so surprised they were so intimate on camera lol

Ok, i've been reading all this and am aghast at all the various things you guys think you've seen or notice in every moment they had here on earth but seriously? You saw a SCENE WHERE THEY GIVE EACH OTHER TONGUE????????????? I mean, REALLY??????? :lucyhorror::lucydaze::vanda::viv2::obrien::wub::P:gasp::blink:

Archived