Lucy and Mame? Oil and water!

yendor1152

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The eve of fifty?" Cripes, she was far from that! And if you don't believe Jerry Herman has ever criticized Lucy and the Lucy Mame, you're living in a dream world. Just do a Google search, and you'll find out exactly what he thought. Why do you think there's never been another version of Mame? Because he demanded (and got) full approval over any version after Lucy got her claws into it. He wanted to guarantee that such a debacle would never happen again. And it didn't, not in his lifetime. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I do know that's true. But I doubt he blamed it all on Lucy.

I think I'll pop Mame in tonight.

I'm glad you guys FINALLY conceded that Mame isn't worth posting about any more. :)

It's not worth seeing your negative posts about Lucy anymore.

If it was possible for Lucy to see anything you posted negatively about her she would be in tears and completely devastated that an admirer of her could be so harsh of her talent and her personally.

It's not worth seeing your negative posts about Lucy anymore.

If it was possible for Lucy to see anything you posted negatively about her she would be in tears and completely devastated that an admirer of her could be so harsh of her talent and her personally.

I doubt it. She was tough as nails, and what one critic has to say wouldn't bother her in the least. What did bother her is that she knew the bad reviews were right; otherwise, they wouldn't have affected her in such a profound and personal manner. Lucy's mortality was creeping up on her, and she had a difficult time handling it. Nothing wrong with that, but please--don't try to make us think Lucy was a shrinking violet who burst into tears whenever a fan criticized her. She'd eat them for lunch and spit out the gristle.

I doubt it. She was tough as nails, and what one critic has to say wouldn't bother her in the least. What did bother her is that she knew the bad reviews were right; otherwise, they wouldn't have affected her in such a profound and personal manner. Lucy's mortality was creeping up on her, and she had a difficult time handling it. Nothing wrong with that, but please--don't try to make us think Lucy was a shrinking violet who burst into tears whenever a fan criticized her. She'd eat them for lunch and spit out the gristle.

She was so sad and disappointed by the end. She felt like she had lack of love from her audience. Like I think Edie Adams said 'Lucy introduced herself very seldom by saying Hi, I'm Lucille Ball. I use to be on television.' Very sad.

Mame was the beginning of the crap reviews. Watch that interview on the HL DVD. She looked so sad and confused in it. Then LWL really hurt. People didn't except her as Lucy anymore, only young Lucy.

Anytime she had a standing ovation, she looked surprised. Out of all movies she did, she was most proud of Mame and The Big Street. Then to repeatedly get shat on for Mame didn't help.

Lucy loved her work but she loved nothing more than to be awarded with a compliment or even an actual award for her work.

I just don't understand your thought process of Miss Ball. I hate to keep this going but I will be damned to have you say these things to some of her biggest fans on a board dedicated to her.

My stars and garters!

At this rate, with group sales "Over the Teacups" will run forever.

Suppose they made a Broadway musical out of it: "Teacups!-The Musical", then when the movie version of the musical was made in the 70s....well WHO ELSE could play the lead Cynthia? Well, let's not get into a heated debate about it.....

Which one of you would like to play the role of Marie Van Shleet? Before you get too excited, I have to tell you that she dies before the play even begins. BUT it's a key role because they can't start the play without you.

I hate to stray off topic (I'm not really a good insulter), but speaking of "Teacups!" when the Mertzes enter the theater, Ethel says with excitement "Loge Seats!"--what exactly are "loge seats"?

She was so sad and disappointed by the end. She felt like she had lack of love from her audience. Like I think Edie Adams said 'Lucy introduced herself very seldom by saying Hi, I'm Lucille Ball. I use to be on television.' Very sad.

Mame was the beginning of the crap reviews. Watch that interview on the HL DVD. She looked so sad and confused in it. Then LWL really hurt. People didn't except her as Lucy anymore, only young Lucy.

Anytime she had a standing ovation, she looked surprised. Out of all movies she did, she was most proud of Mame and The Big Street. Then to repeatedly get shat on for Mame didn't help.

Lucy loved her work but she loved nothing more than to be awarded with a compliment or even an actual award for her work.

I just don't understand your thought process of Miss Ball. I hate to keep this going but I will be damned to have you say these things to some of her biggest fans on a board dedicated to her.

What's not to understand? I don't hate the woman! I just didn't like her performance in Mame and think she was miscast. That was the reason for my original posting. It didn't get nasty until you guys got nasty with me. If we could've had a rational discussion, with good give and take, then things would've reached their end, and no one would even be discussing this now. But no. Instead, the "defenders of Lucy" came out in full force to put me in my place, calling for my banning, calling me names, referring to my IQ, you name it. That's not discussion, that's mob mentality. Can you understand that?

The reason why Lucy was sad and disappointed in the end is because Time had passed her by. She was considered an icon and honored as such, but as far as new properties were concerned, she was stuck in 1955. She was more modern in the first season of Here's Lucy than she was in the "Lucy Meets the President" special! And more spontaneous, too. All that screaming and gesturing and yelling to the bleachers in the later seasons of TLC and ALL of Here's Lucy was just too much. She didn't move with the times and instead railed against them, calling movies and TV "filth." That was the era of All in the Family, a groundbreaking comedy that was absolutely hilarious--but Lucy saw it as filth. That's why she was out of step. When she had the opportunity to come back in something of quality, she decided NOT to take a page from The Golden Girls. Rather, she revived her Lucy character as a feisty grandmother, caked with make-up, orange hair still intact and trying to do her old schtick again. It didn't work. Lucy needed to stop being "sad and disappointed" and get with the program. She refused to do it. Oh, well.

Archived