Did Lucy get a face lift?

C L A U D E

Didn't you read Rickee's post, SHE DID get her eyes done. And one tell tale sign of a face lift is that curls of hair covering the sides like she had in Yours mine and whozitz. Although that could have been used to cover the Gene Hibbs make up also.

Did we ever come to a conclusion to the theory posted on the Old Lounge that Gale had his eyes tweaked sometime between Lucy Moves to NBC and Life With Lucy?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't you read Rickee's post, SHE DID get her eyes done. And one tell tale sign of a face lift is that curls of hair covering the sides like she had in Yours mine and whozitz. Although that could have been used to cover the Gene Hibbs make up also.

What year so we can look at the differences? But as for face lift I honestly doubt it.

I think her look changed the most between TLS's seasons 1 and 2; and HL seasons 4 and 5.

The oft-told reason for no face life for Lucy was that she bruised too easily. I accept this, but don't quite understand. Wouldn't the bruising heal eventually? I don't know what other options there were at the time.

If I were an actress using Gene Hibbs's services, I'd work out some sort of deal with him to keep his name off the closing credits, because when "Makeup: Gene Hibbs" appeared on screen, everybody in the industry must have known what we do now. Evidently he was the only person who could apply this contraption. Either that or he had a patent on it.

I think her look changed the most between TLS's seasons 1 and 2; and HL seasons 4 and 5.

The oft-told reason for no face life for Lucy was that she bruised too easily. I accept this, but don't quite understand. Wouldn't the bruising heal eventually? I don't know what other options there were at the time.

If I were an actress using Gene Hibbs's services, I'd work out some sort of deal with him to keep his name off the closing credits, because when "Makeup: Gene Hibbs" appeared on screen, everybody in the industry must have known what we do now. Evidently he was the only person who could apply this contraption. Either that or he had a patent on it.

Yeah season one was in black and white, she came alive and lost twenty years when she came back in color in season two, LOL! Exactly, i think that healing crap was just a cover, an excuse. It was Ann Sothern who sold Lucy on the HIBBS make up, Lucy initially refused but then when she saw the results on Ann, she went for it and with Irma's great help, the Nazi as Lucy called her, applied that THING to her for the next decades. Apparently it hurt a lot, even gave her monstrous headaches and don't you think pulling the skin like that, stabbing the skull constantly, would eventually do more harm than good. When you pull the skin constantly, it eventually wears out the skin, we see it all ourselves, after a certain age, where you pull the sides of the eyes and they come down looking worse after a while. Also, with age, it had to kill her to know she was being held up with tape and glue, but then, that's the fate of any attractive person. I prefer THAT to her getting constant face lifts like say, Joan Rivers where you end up looking like a clown but not in a good way.

That's just because of the wig and contraption to tighten her skin

no no no :) , Im talking a real surgery. I did a big ole story in the old board about this long ago, with pics and everything lol and I would have to say she did have some kind of surgery done on her eyes...
In the later 50s and early 60s, Lucy had these (what I refer to as) clipped, eyes. Where a thin piece of skin overlaps the lid a little. Judy Garland is famous for this look in her later life, with the eye lashes just pushing their way above and beyond the flap of skin to be seen lol
Well Lucy had this no matter whether having the contraption on or not, but its especially seen when its off in the early 60s.
However, later in 63-4-5 I think lol any where in there, sometime before Lucy in London, the extra skin that was characteristic for her eyes, suddenly vanish-never to be seen of again :).

I first thought it was due to weight, as one of her eyes had this affect during her pregnancies, when her body was tired or just a little fuller than usual ? lol
Sometimes I look at her eyes and I would totally understand having the work done-I mean, the Lucy image was probably suffering because of it. The expressive eyes looked dull and tired in the first season of TLS. Though the make up gets thicker in the later years, the eyes AND EYE SHADOW play a huge part in her look. I don't think her Lucy look would have been achieved as beautifully as it was, had she not have had the work done. 

no no no :) , Im talking a real surgery. I did a big ole story in the old board about this long ago, with pics and everything lol and I would have to say she did have some kind of surgery done on her eyes...hey, us new generation Lucy fans are still just now finding out about Lucys three operations on her feet! lol

In the later 50s and early 60s, Lucy had these (what I refer to as) clipped, eyes. Where a thin piece of skin overlaps the lid a little. Judy Garland is famous for this look in her later life, with the eye lashes just pushing their way above and beyond the flap of skin to be seen lol

Well Lucy had this no matter whether having the contraption on or not, but its especially seen when its off in the early 60s.

However, later in 63-4-5 I think lol any where in there, sometime before Lucy in London, the extra skin that was characteristic for her eyes, suddenly vanish-never to be seen of again :).

I first thought it was due to weight, as one of her eyes had this affect during her pregnancies, when her body was tired or just a little fuller than usual ? lol

Sometimes I look at her eyes and I would totally understand having the work done-I mean, the Lucy image was probably suffering because of it. The expressive eyes looked dull and tired in the first season of TLS. Though the make up gets thicker in the later years, the eyes AND EYE SHADOW play a huge part in her look. I don't think it would have been achieved as beautifully as it was, had she not have had the work done. Even when at home, or in casual, non made up photos, does it the eye lid appear to be revitalized and youthful :)

Can you please screen cap two photos so I can see the before and after pics of what you are referring to? Thanks.

no no no :) , Im talking a real surgery. I did a big ole story in the old board about this long ago, with pics and everything lol and I would have to say she did have some kind of surgery done on her eyes...hey, us new generation Lucy fans are still just now finding out about Lucys three operations on her feet! lol

Sometimes I look at her eyes and I would totally understand having the work done-I mean, the Lucy image was probably suffering because of it. The expressive eyes looked dull and tired in the first season of TLS. Though the make up gets thicker in the later years, the eyes AND EYE SHADOW play a huge part in her look. I don't think it would have been achieved as beautifully as it was, had she not have had the work done. Even when at home, or in casual, non made up photos, does it the eye lid appear to be revitalized and youthful :)

Yeah, pics please, i dun't recall that old story so refresh our memories with some proof please.

Yeah, pics please, i dun't recall that old story so refresh our memories with some proof please.

beforeyes.jpg

here she is in the early 60s. This is her without the contraption and with natural looking eyes.

With the contraption, on, it will lift the front part of her eyes only- , but some skin still hangs

towards the ends of her eye lids. later after the work, this changes where she never has this again, with or without the contraption

beforeyes.jpg

here she is in the early 60s. This is her without the contraption and with natural looking eyes.

With the contraption, on, it will lift the front part of her eyes only- , but some skin still hangs

towards the ends of her eye lids. later after the work, this changes where she never has this again, with or without the contraption

My former best friend at that time was a Joan Crawford fanatic and he and i would constantly fight about who the bigger star was and he killed me one day with that pic in the center top, Lucy at home, the shot he had was the one where she's blinded by the sun making her eyes even more baggy and making her look twenty years older, the kids are in bathing suits next to her and gare, i'm sure you've all seen it, i still don't see it as obvious as you say it is but i'll trust that being a Lucy facial expert, you surely do know what you're talking about. Besides, Rickee confirmed that she did get her eyes done.

My former best friend at that time was a Joan Crawford fanatic and he and i would constantly fight about who the bigger star was and he killed me one day with that pic in the center top, Lucy at home, the shot he had was the one where she's blinded by the sun making her eyes even more baggy and making her look twenty years older, the kids are in bathing suits next to her and gare, i'm sure you've all seen it, i still don't see it as obvious as you say it is but i'll trust that being a Lucy facial expert, you surely do know what you're talking about. Besides, Rickee confirmed that she did get her eyes done.

Well what the heck did ya need photographic evidence for? lolol Rickee is a MASTER at the ladies face more than I am. If he says she got em done, then all doubt fades!

I dont think she got a face lift though. especially in those last years, in the 70s and very early 80s, I assume she was pretty comfortable with her look and life by the time her age started to show. Plus, I think Lucy knew she had a wrinkled face, but that-ON TV in the right light, and if seeing her in the right way in person, make up would only make everything look light and beautiful to the point where she could get away with still looking comfortably, vibrantly beautiful . She found security in that make up because it worked very very well for her-most of the time...;)

Well what the heck did ya need photographic evidence for? lolol Rickee is a MASTER at the ladies face more than I am. If he says she got em done, then all doubt fades!

I dont think she got a face lift though. especially in those last years, in the 70s and very early 80s, I assume she was pretty comfortable with her look and life by the time her age started to show. Plus, I think Lucy knew she had a wrinkled face, but that-ON TV in the right light, and if seeing her in the right way in person, make up would only make everything look light and beautiful to the point where she could get away with still looking comfortably, vibrantly beautiful . She found security in that make up because it worked very very well for her-most of the time... ;)

Ok, now SPLAIN to me why she looked horrible on Life with Lucy but looked sensational at the opening of the Bob Hope cultural center which was about the same time. Why she looked incredibly beautiful outside at the Oscars and in another picture looked like her own mother?

Archived