Did Lucy get a face lift?

C L A U D E

I ALWAYS think of that package. It made A LOT of sense for a lot of things.

Old Jamestown boyfriends, repeated affairs she had to retaliate for Desi's in the forties and even fifties. Married man Pam Berman among others . . . maybe Hank Fonda and Zsa Zsa's hubby, well, one of her many hubbies, was she having an affair with gary even before that famous pizza meeting? Why did she call Bob Hope rapid robert, had she had the Hope SPERIENCE which was apparently quite fast according to many of his whores and dates, and so many ohter questions.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Jamestown boyfriends, repeated affairs she had to retaliate for Desi's in the forties and even fifties. Married man Pam Berman among others . . . maybe Hank Fonda and Zsa Zsa's hubby, well, one of her many hubbies, was she having an affair with gary even before that famous pizza meeting? Why did she call Bob Hope rapid robert, had she had the Hope SPERIENCE which was apparently quite fast according to many of his whores and dates, and so many ohter questions.

Ugh. Just got a mental pic of Lucy and Bob Hope goin' at it. I hope they just remained friends. Blech.

I still think you're letting your imagination go wild when it comes to the Dick Cavett packet. I think it was just information about her life and career to get Cavett more familiar with her, as well as topics or stories she thought might be interesting to talk about. What she probably did not want to talk about was Desi. She might have added she didn't want to be asked when she lost her virginity like Cavett asked Bette Davis and Carol Burnett. I doubt Lucy even considered she would be asked about Jamestown boyfriends or George Sanders.

"Rapid Robert" was a nickname tons of people called Bob Hope. It referred to his rapid fire joke delivery.

No no, I'll take Annaleigh's timing. I wasn't ever sure of the timing. I just noticed it was completely different around when color came in, I havent really looked closely at what time it was, just the time period lol

So, lets go with Annaleighs dates! SO WE SOLVED THE PUZZLE!!!

Makes sense TLS was started showing in color during 4th season. Maybe she didn't like the way her eyes photographed or something. Lol. But I see exactly what you explained about her eyes prior to the surgery in season 4 and compared to the new look in Lucy In London.

Makes sense TLS was started showing in color during 4th season. Maybe she didn't like the way her eyes photographed or something. Lol. But I see exactly what you explained about her eyes prior to the surgery in season 4 and compared to the new look in Lucy In London.

And when the operation faded completely, she got the look shown on your avatar, LOL!

I still think you're letting your imagination go wild when it comes to the Dick Cavett packet. I think it was just information about her life and career to get Cavett more familiar with her, as well as topics or stories she thought might be interesting to talk about. What she probably did not want to talk about was Desi. She might have added she didn't want to be asked when she lost her virginity like Cavett asked Bette Davis and Carol Burnett. I doubt Lucy even considered she would be asked about Jamestown boyfriends or George Sanders.

"Rapid Robert" was a nickname tons of people called Bob Hope. It referred to his rapid fire joke delivery.

But most ladies he was with confirmed that it was about his sperm delivery too. I know the packet was mostly about Desi, but Dick Cavett himself when referring to it on his intro to the Lucy interview mentions he was shocked by it and had never received anything like that before so let's not pretend it was just suggestions as to what could be discussed.

• 9 months later...

I trust the opinions of Lamarr and Rickee because they're arTISTES of the highest caliber and have studied her look more than anyone (and thanks for sharing, by the way)

I'm not an expert but here are my observations:

She has a different look season to season sometimes but I always attributed it to different make-up/wig/"contraption" settings (which may range from "gentle tug" to "boa constrictor"!) Before I heard all the people close to her, Irma among them, saying she never had a facelift (because of her bruisable skin), I assumed she had one between seasons one and two of TLS, for color, and then again between seasons 4 and 5 of Here's Lucy, in preparation for Mame. I think she looks younger in "Really in a Pickle" than say, "Calm Down Dan Dailey".

The quotes Fidelman got in his book that talk frankly about her look and what they did to accomplish it (including Lucy herself) have now been cited and re-quoted as if they are fact. I'm not saying they're not, but I don't know how he could have gotten these quotes because they are not from any written account I have read and I've read everything I can get my hands on.

Is there anyone else who looked so different in a 10 year span? Look at Lucy in 1955 and 1965. You wouldn't really know they were the same person. Tom Watson said it best in that Lucy Carter looked like she could have been RELATED to Lucy Ricardo, maybe sisters or cousins but the resemblance isn't that close.

Some time ago, I met the daughter of Betty Hannah Hoffman*, Lucy's ghost writer and I was able to have one phone conversation with the 90+ year old woman, who lived in California. One thing Betty said was that Lucy was very wrinkled, and this was when Lucy was 50. I don't know how they covered this up, but they sure did because she never appeared inordinately wrinkled, even in candid photos.

*this was a very fortuitous encounter. The daughter lives in Portland. I was standing in line to get some Wildcat pictures printed and the lady behind me (her daughter) just casually mentioned her mother had written the book. I almost grabbed her like Lucy does to Frank Nelson as she says "You stop this train!!!". I planned a trip to California around meeting her mother, but then she was too frail for our meeting and it didn't happen. Very possible she's not with us anymore because she would be 96 now(born in 1917).

The quotes Fidelman got in his book that talk frankly about her look and what they did to accomplish it (including Lucy herself) have now been cited and re-quoted as if they are fact. I'm not saying they're not, but I don't know how he could have gotten these quotes because they are not from any written account I have read and I've read everything I can get my hands on.

I would love to know where the quote from Lucy about the wig lift in Fidelman's book came from. I can't imagine Lucy discussing that in public.

I think the wig lift is what changed her look. The times where she isn't lifted and not wearing a wig is when I think later Lucy looks the most like Lucy Ricardo era Lucy. I think she looks like like Lucy Ricardo when she falls in the dunk tank in Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars.

Neil said:

*this was a very fortuitous encounter. The daughter lives in Portland. I was standing in line to get some Wildcat pictures printed and the lady behind me (her daughter) just casually mentioned her mother had written the book. I almost grabbed her like Lucy does to Frank Nelson as she says "You stop this train!!!".

I can so picture you doing this; how did you ever restrain yourself? :marionstrong:

I trust the opinions of Lamarr and Rickee because they're arTISTES of the highest caliber and have studied her look more than anyone (and thanks for sharing, by the way)

I'm not an expert but here are my observations:

She has a different look season to season sometimes but I always attributed it to different make-up/wig/"contraption" settings (which may range from "gentle tug" to "boa constrictor"!) Before I heard all the people close to her, Irma among them, saying she never had a facelift (because of her bruisable skin), I assumed she had one between seasons one and two of TLS, for color, and then again between seasons 4 and 5 of Here's Lucy, in preparation for Mame. I think she looks younger in "Really in a Pickle" than say, "Calm Down Dan Dailey".

Is there anyone else who looked so different in a 10 year span? Look at Lucy in 1955 and 1965. You wouldn't really know they were the same person. Tom Watson said it best in that Lucy Carter looked like she could have been RELATED to Lucy Ricardo, maybe sisters or cousins but the resemblance isn't that close.

Some time ago, I met the daughter of Betty Hannah Hoffman*, Lucy's ghost writer and I was able to have one phone conversation with the 90+ year old woman, who lived in California. One thing Betty said was that Lucy was very wrinkled, and this was when Lucy was 50. I don't know how they covered this up, but they sure did because she never appeared inordinately wrinkled, even in candid photos.

*this was a very fortuitous encounter. The daughter lives in Portland. I was standing in line to get some Wildcat pictures printed and the lady behind me (her daughter) just casually mentioned her mother had written the book. I almost grabbed her like Lucy does to Frank Nelson as she says "You stop this train!!!". I planned a trip to California around meeting her mother, but then she was too frail for our meeting and it didn't happen. Very possible she's not with us anymore because she would be 96 now(born in 1917).

Thanks Neil-the highest caliber belongs to Rickee though-Our very own  artistic genius. 

Im surprised you could understand my dyslexic jibber jabber back in those early pages lol  however Im glad you got the message lol 

Also, Thanks for the extra tid bits of information! -adding specific years and time frames makes it all a little more interesting and slothfully valid :)

I was looking at TLS (season 2 I believe) and I noticed Mary Jane Croft's bags were gone from the previous season! lol I thought to myself- ALL of these girls had a little nip and tuck some where, some time before lollol 

I would love to know where the quote from Lucy about the wig lift in Fidelman's book came from. I can't imagine Lucy discussing that in public.

I think the wig lift is what changed her look. The times where she isn't lifted and not wearing a wig is when I think later Lucy looks the most like Lucy Ricardo era Lucy. I think she looks like like Lucy Ricardo when she falls in the dunk tank in Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars.

You are so right. I think it also has to do with the make up. Lucy Ricardo was before the gaudy thick lashes and thick eye liner. Some powder, a small line of dark maroon eye liner, maybe some light eyeshadow- some lashes and that was it. and the lips of course lol-however,  Carmichael and Carter were some what opposite.  You make such a great point. Its funny though, how the make up is applied to the Lucy character in the later years , to keep up with the Ricardo image, which was actually based on a more natural looking face. 

I was looking at TLS (season 2 I believe) and I noticed Mary Jane Croft's bags were gone from the previous season! lol I thought to myself- ALL of these girls had a little nip and tuck some where, some time before lollol

Mary Jane was very open with the fact that she was a big believer in cosmetic surgery.

I think what also added to her changed look was the appliance over the bridge of her nose. My theory is that it is some surgical tape...but I don't know for sure... This lifts her cheeks up an smooths her face around hsr mouth.... I find this really noticable in the department store.ep where she buys a dinet set and rides on a motor cart.

Mary Jane was very open with the fact that she was a big believer in cosmetic surgery.

Really? She looked great and I LOVE the fact that for her and for many others, it worked. It wasn't so over board that you thought something was wrong. You never noticed it. 

I think what also added to her changed look was the appliance over the bridge of her nose. My theory is that it is some surgical tape...but I don't know for sure... This lifts her cheeks up an smooths her face around hsr mouth.... I find this really noticable in the department store.ep where she buys a dinet set and rides on a motor cart.

which show?? I never knew about this adhesive pull around the nose and mouth :D

Archived