The Long Long Trailer

What do most Lucy fans think of this movie? It's one of my favorites. I can't explain Tacy's personality though . . . kind of like Lucy Ricardo but a lot more sensitive.

I felt bad for them on their first night at the first trailer park. they just wanted to be alone and those neighbors intervened. And I cringe anytime I watch the scene when Nicky is trying to back the trailer into the driveway. At least there was a happy ending, complete with that door chime. :D

"RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT! TRAILER BRAKES FIRST! AHHHHHHHH!"

"I was going to say 'turn right here, left!'"

I love the Ragu of Beef scene, and Nicky's song. lol.

On a personal note, when two fellows from 'somewhere' searched for an identical trailer as was filmed in the movie; found one; remodeled it retro to the 50's decor; and moved it to Jamestown, corner of Main and Third during what I 'believe' was 2004-05 Festival (not sure about the year); the Center needed 'someone' as night security for three nights, since it was up on blocks; wired for electricity; but, not sturdy enough for 'inside' tours during the day; [we just left the two doors open for folks to see inside], my granddaughters and I were 'night security'; they were about 9 and 12 at the time.

I have pictures which I shall share if anyone is interested at this year's Festival - find me and ask me....

I have a couple funny stories to tell....

This was the first Lucille Ball movie I seen. It was my favorite for so long. But now I see it as the movie version of I Love Lucy, all they needed was Viv and Bill. This movie is still on towards the top of my Lucy movies. One.complaint is that I found the marriage in the film very awkward at times. Same for Forever Darling too, I guess. But nontheless a great 50s comedy!

• 3 weeks later...

I ABSOLUTELY love the sceen when they are climbing the high mountain... and Lucy's face as she holds on for dear life... (you know.. all that is done on a sound stage... but YOU really feel her anxiety) and THAT is what makes the sceen work so well... of course she had a good film company (MGM) and a great director (Vincent Minnelli)... a good camera man and make up man.. etc... she did a great job... and when she drives and passes everyone while pulling that trailer and Desi is just struk dumb as he sits victim to his wife's crazy leadfooted ride! It is a very enjoyable movie... and one more thing... I LOVE the door chime when the trailer is opend... wish I had a ringer on my phone like it!

• 2 months later...

I've been in the mood for watching this film, so I popped it in. Even though I know this movie inside out, I finally watched Desi's performance carefully. His performance is incredible. He was really a wonderful actor with great talent. I'm so use to watching him in ILL where Lucy steals the show, but Desi really shines in this film, even though his character was quite bitter at times. I need to watch some of his other films again. He is wonderful to focus on. Makes me sad to think Desi was completely overshadowed most of the time.

I enjoyed this movie a lot as a child, but when I rewatched it recently it didn't do a lot for me. But I agree with Annaleigh regarding Desi's performance. This film showed off his versatility. I enjoyed seeing his more sensitive side, although I felt truly bad for his character due to all the financial messes et. al. Tacy got him into.

I guess my problem with the movie is how painful it often is. All the debt they get into, the trailer brakes, the mud, the neighbors, the crashing garage, the dinner on the moving trailer...it's a loud, loud movie where everything goes wrong that can go wrong. I've never enjoyed comedy where the humor lies in all the misfortunes that happen to people. Yes, everything works out in the end, but I guess I wish Vincente Minnelli had played it more for laughs, more tongue in cheek. As it is, he played everything so straight and serious that it doesn't seem very funny to me.

Searching for "Poor Grace", i stumbled upon this:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

Check out the first few pages of the Introduction for a very detailed analysis -- and eye opening... -- analysis of TLLT. :blink:

Yeah, the writer must have done his College thesis on this particular movie, analyzing every detail to death.

What do most Lucy fans think of this movie? It's one of my favorites. I can't explain Tacy's personality though . . . kind of like Lucy Ricardo but a lot more sensitive.

I felt bad for them on their first night at the first trailer park. they just wanted to be alone and those neighbors intervened. And I cringe anytime I watch the scene when Nicky is trying to back the trailer into the driveway. At least there was a happy ending, complete with that door chime. :D

"RED LIGHT, GREEN LIGHT! TRAILER BRAKES FIRST! AHHHHHHHH!"

"I was going to say 'turn right here, left!'"

I love the Ragu of Beef scene, and Nicky's song. lol.

I absolutely LOVE this movie from start to finish, always have and always will. It made more money than Father of the Bride for which Desi collected an extra fifty thousand for themselves as per his book. It was a top grosser and funny as hell.

Archived