The ending pool video in Home Movies

Luvsbway

And then, there was the fact that Desi LOVED the house on Roxbury and now his husband in law was living there. How about when Lucy said Desi would come in downstairs forgetting he no longer lived there and Lucy and gary were upstairs and gary wanted to call the police when he heard the noise downstairs.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a good a question. There just seemed to be a lot of things Gary was doing that Lucy was oblivious about. Like cutting off some of her old friends and "stepping" on a lot of the people who worked for them. Stu has said that if she had been aware of how he treated some of the people who worked for them(and by some I think he means Wanda and maybe Frank) she would have been very very angry. He said this to Bernie Weitzman and Bernie said,"It always bothered me she never found out". Stu then said,"She was starting to catch on toward the end I think.'

I must say, your version of the events as told by Stu is one of the all time most interesting topics ever to be posted at The Lounge. This, after all, led to her depression and eventual death, death by lack of work.

Its been a year or two since I read it and I can't find it anymore. But basically shes lamenting how he is never in the house and that she knows he wants to leave her. Its very very sad. I mean its pretty obvious that I don't like Gary and have almost zero respect for him but she found comfort in him . He wasn't the love of her life but she found great comfort in him being there but toward the end he was absent alot of the time. At least thats how she saw it in this letter.

Wasn't he away performing in the beginning and then golfing the rest of the time they were together?

That's absolutely ridiculous and Lucie appears to be stretching the truth there if she told him that. Lucie has said on many times - even in some of her rather negative interviews - that Lucy was always praising her, and always telling her she loved her. I believe she even made a statement somewhere that Lucy told her during the run of THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG in pride and amazement that "I could never do that" which is rather weird since Lucy of course starred in WILDCAT.

And even if somehow Lucy did not praise her in private, Lucy in many interviews praised Lucie to the skies as if her daughter were Bette Davis, Meryl Streep, and Barbra Streisand rolled into one, comments that could have hardly escaped Lucie's notice.

Frankly I'm a little tired of Mrs. Luckinbill's self-pity act.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Look I don't know Lucie and don't have a dog in this fight but Stu actually seemed to be agreeing that Lucy would do that. He hinted that it was the same with Desi Jr but Desi just dosn't talk about it. Im not slamming Lucy as a mother. And Lucie has made a point in saying that Lucy didn't have an example to go by since her mothers upbringing was lacking to say the least.

Lucy gave everything to those kids, gave them every opportunity to MAKE IT in show business, I was even shocked that she encouraged Desi jr to leave the series for movies knowing you weren't anybody in Hollywood if you did not star in motion pictures. And I was even more stunned when she attended drug therapy sessions with Desi jr, not easy for a woman of her rep and age to do in those days. When I used to see her on talk shows, she was always talking about those kids of hers, and I found it hard to watch when she was moved to tears by anything they ever did for her.

I must say, your version of the events as told by Stu is one of the all time most interesting topics ever to be posted at The Lounge. This, after all, led to her depression and eventual death, death by lack of work.

You can certainly listen to these interviews yourself! Very interesting stuff. Of all the Lucy "insiders" I think Stu is the most trustworthy. But he has said he will never write a book. Stu really makes an effort to be fair to Gary but im telling you the stuff that he has revealed about Gary over the years .... good lord. :MrsRichardCarlson:

You can certainly listen to these interviews yourself! Very interesting stuff. Of all the Lucy "insiders" I think Stu is the most trustworthy. But he has said he will never write a book. Stu really makes an effort to be fair to Gary but im telling you the stuff that he has revealed about Gary over the years .... good lord. :MrsRichardCarlson:

We've heard some bad stuff about him before so Stu should not feel like he's telling tales out of school or anything. I love these gary tidbits, they make me feel I was right about him all along . . . when he wanted to get the stamps from the Desilu emplyees getting gas at the corner station, when he wanted to charge the West Hollywood GAY places that played the show on a loop and fifty other stories of his wisdom business wise..

And then, there was the fact that Desi LOVED the house on Roxbury and now his husband in law was living there. How about when Lucy said Desi would come in downstairs forgetting he no longer lived there and Lucy and gary were upstairs and gary wanted to call the police when he heard the noise downstairs.

Im not sure if that story is true. It is interesting how Gary and Desi were jealous of each other. For different reasons of course. Desi was possesive of HIS wife(even if they were divorced) and didn't want the mother of his children to be with another man. And didn't want HIS children to have another man in their lives. Gary was envious of what they had accomplised together and how she never really got over him. Stu mentioned that she was always calling Desi and that it made him,"just a little jealous" At which point Wanda said "Oh yeah" Then they both laughed knowingly.

Then I wonder what she would've done if she'd found out. :lucyhaha:

How could she not find out? I think this particularly issue is kind of a non-issue given

This was only for a personal video copy of the home movies for Lucy and Gary, Desi was not being cut out the film and the remains put in the garbage can. If that were the case would we have the HOME MOVIES program?

It would have been hard for Lucy to watch that footage on video with Desi in it. Maybe Gary was acting for his own interests but he must have been thinking of Lucy's reaction as well. We all know it wasn't hard to have the waterworks turn on for her, happy tears or traumatic tears.

It's just possible Lucy hinted for Desi's removal from the video. Again, it's only their personal video not Desi being clipped out the film footage for good. She very much wanted to put him in her past whether or not she was successful at it.

Obviously the video was not just for Gary but also (and mainly) for Lucy so Lucy surely saw the final results, Gary knew she would see the final results. I think he knew her well enough to know she would probably be most comfortable with a Desi-free home movie even if it was to his own benefit.

We've heard some bad stuff about him before so Stu should not feel like he's telling tales out of school or anything. I love these gary tidbits, they make me feel I was right about him all along . . . when he wanted to get the stamps from the Desilu emplyees getting gas at the corner station, when he wanted to charge the West Hollywood GAY places that played the show on a loop and fifty other stories of his wisdom business wise..

I think out of respect for her, Stu really hates to go there. But he has a lot of passionate feelings about that time in his life,especially Life with Lucy. And when he starts going its like a floodgate and he can't hold himself back! His best rant ever was when he was interviewing Michael Stern in 2011. He concluded by saying that he doesn't care what anybody says if Life with Lucy had succeeded Lucy would have lived longer. That Desi's death and the cancellation was to much for her. And Wanda said"oh I think so too Stu"

Maybe she laughed when watching it or editing it and kept her laugh in.

Interesting everyone that has the impression this footage was shot by Lucie, I did too and it sure seems as if the program suggests that it was, whether a laugh was edited in or not. I have the dvd but my remote is not working good so I can't play special features or commentary at the moment, does she acknowledge there that it's not her personal footage?

I actually love the footage now more knowing Lucy and Desi weren't possibly playing to their daughter but being themselves and having fun in the pool with their grandchild.

How could she not find out? I think this particularly issue is kind of a non-issue given

This was only for a personal video copy of the home movies for Lucy and Gary, Desi was not being cut out the film and the remains put in the garbage can. If that were the case would we have the HOME MOVIES program?

It would have been hard for Lucy to watch that footage on video with Desi in it. Maybe Gary was acting for his own interests but he must have been thinking of Lucy's reaction as well. We all know it wasn't hard to have the waterworks turn on for her, happy tears or traumatic tears.

It's just possible Lucy hinted for Desi's removal from the video. Again, it's only their personal video not Desi being clipped out the film footage for good. She very much wanted to put him in her past whether or not she was successful at it.

Obviously the video was not just for Gary but also (and mainly) for Lucy so Lucy surely saw the final results, Gary knew she would see the final results. I think he knew her well enough to know she would probably be most comfortable with a Desi-free home movie even if it was to his own benefit.

I thought of that. I mean of course there were still home movies of Lucy and Desi since we have that documentary. But if the home movies were only for Lucy and Gary then why did Desi know he had been cut out?

I think out of respect for her, Stu really hates to go there. But he has a lot of passionate feelings about that time in his life,especially Life with Lucy. And when he starts going its like a floodgate and he can't hold himself back! His best rant ever was when he was interviewing Michael Stern in 2011. He concluded by saying that he doesn't care what anybody says if Life with Lucy had succeeded Lucy would have lived longer. That Desi's death and the cancellation was to much for her. And Wanda said"oh I think so too Stu"

I agree with him completely, going through that kind of trauma at that age was too much for Lucy, the feeling of being unwanted, nothing left to do with your life, and important people in your life passing away really affects the elderly. I've seen it with relatives and I agree if LWL had been a hit Lucy would have not likely died in 1989. A goal, something to do, a reason to live, a positive attitude has often been citied among the reasons healthy older people are still going strong.

I thought of that. I mean of course there were still home movies of Lucy and Desi since we have that documentary. But if the home movies were only for Lucy and Gary then why did Desi know he had been cut out?

I think you answered that yourself earlier in these comments:

"Gary said to him"Cut out my EX husband in law from the videos!" (Im sure THAT went over well with Lucie!) So now Stu is talking to Desi and Wanda had encouraged him to mention he worked for Lucy. So he tells Desi he transfered their home movies. Desi looks at him and says"Oh so you cut me out of the videos" And Stu says,"No sir that was Gary". Desi rolls his eyes and says,"Oh ya. Gary WHO!"

I'm thinking Desi accurately presumed if Lucy & Gary had made a home movie reel he wouldn't be in it and he caught Stu off guard with the comment, who confirmed it because he didn't know what else to say.

Or maybe someone saw the final results and mentioned it to Desi.

:lucyhmm:

"Gary said to him"Cut out my EX husband in law from the videos!" (Im sure THAT went over well with Lucie!) So now Stu is talking to Desi and Wanda had encouraged him to mention he worked for Lucy. So he tells Desi he transfered their home movies. Desi looks at him and says"Oh so you cut me out of the videos" And Stu says,"No sir that was Gary". Desi rolls his eyes and says,"Oh ya. Gary WHO!"

I'm thinking Desi accurately presumed if Lucy & Gary had made a home movie reel he wouldn't be in it and he caught Stu off guard with the comment, who confirmed it because he didn't know what else to say.

Well.. no. I don't think so. The way Stu told the story Desi KNEW he had been cut out. Im sure of it. I mean I know this story isn't a scandal or anything :marionstrong: I do think its interesting insight on how Gary felt about Desi.

I'd kill to hear more of those stories. At least HE doesn't seem to worry about what the insider group will say or think.

Interesting everyone that has the impression this footage was shot by Lucie, I did too and it sure seems as if the program suggests that it was, whether a laugh was edited in or not. I have the dvd but my remote is not working good so I can't play special features or commentary at the moment, does she acknowledge there that it's not her personal footage?

I actually love the footage now more knowing Lucy and Desi weren't possibly playing to their daughter but being themselves and having fun in the pool with their grandchild.

Well, she put the thing together so we all assumed . . . it's what made the show perfect and yet it's not even by the one that got the Emmy for it.

I agree with him completely, going through that kind of trauma at that age was too much for Lucy, the feeling of being unwanted, nothing left to do with your life, and important people in your life passing away really affects the elderly. I've seen it with relatives and I agree if LWL had been a hit Lucy would have not likely died in 1989. A goal, something to do, a reason to live, a positive attitude has often been citied among the reasons healthy older people are still going strong.

Exactly, she said herself she could not sleep and waited in her garden with her dog picking at the flowers waiting for the world to wake up around her.

Yeah, like maybe Lucy herself, LOL!

Archived