The ending pool video in Home Movies

Luvsbway

Lucie is not a "mommie dearest" daughter. I really don't like getting into this whole Lucie/Lucy thing but I just can't let this one go. Yes she has/had a lot of issues with her mom but she never called her mother a monster which is really what those "other daughters" were saying about their famous mothers. Ive heard plenty of things about Lucie but I find myself rooting for her. Mostly because she seems like a seeker to me. She does want to understand the complexities of both of her parents. Complexities that shaped much of her own life. Heres the thing. What purpose does Lucie have in talking about her mother,one of the most popular figures in entertainment history, in a unfavorable way? To be popular? After that Joan Rivers interview she got tons of hate mail. And one more thing. Does anyone here NOT think Lucy was a very complicated woman? I truly believe some people are more complex than others usually because of their childhood. But these complexities can also be the beginnings of great entertainers and make them shine beautifully.

Well stated, my friend; all Lucie has to do is stand in front of a full-length mirror; and she should be overjoyed to have Lucille Ball as her mother; complex relationship or not. From EACH parent, she gained a TON of talent; let's hope she uses her BRAIN, and does NOT 'bash' her career, 45 years or not, into the ground dissing someone much loved. If so, she might want to move to Celoron NY and she could join the rest of the dopes/jealous/meanies, or other 'things'. Loving you, JK

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Stu's version of events with Life with Lucy makes sense as I remember at the time, even I read that the show was ABC's costliest to produce, so as they were dealing with Television's greatest star, they would have wanted to avoid cancellation and ask her to take a cut in salary to keep the show on, they do that a LOT these days.

I think that Stu's version of events with Life with Lucy makes sense as I remember at the time, even I read that the show was ABC's costliest to produce, so as they were dealing with Television's greatest star, they would have wanted to avoid cancellation and ask her to take a cut in salary to keep the show on, they do that a LOT these days.

Since it was Stu who said or wrote it I absolutely believe it happened. And boy does it make me angry. I mean maybe ending it was the right thing to do since it was dying a terrible death BUT HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD HER ABOUT IT. He had no right to make that call.

Lucie is not a "mommie dearest" daughter. I really don't like getting into this whole Lucie/Lucy thing but I just can't let this one go. Yes she has/had a lot of issues with her mom but she never called her mother a monster which is really what those "other daughters" were saying about their famous mothers. Ive heard plenty of things about Lucie but I find myself rooting for her. Mostly because she seems like a seeker to me. She does want to understand the complexities of both of her parents. Complexities that shaped much of her own life. Heres the thing. What purpose does Lucie have in talking about her mother,one of the most popular figures in entertainment history, in a unfavorable way? To be popular? After that Joan Rivers interview she got tons of hate mail. And one more thing. Does anyone here NOT think Lucy was a very complicated woman? I truly believe some people are more complex than others usually because of their childhood. But these complexities can also be the beginnings of great entertainers and make them shine beautifully.

"Mommie Dearest" books do not mean the star was physically abusive as in the Crawford book. The other star daughter/son books of this type are usually most often just infantile whining, "mommy talked sharp to me", "mommy tried to control my life", "mommy wouldn't buy me this", "mommy butted in trying to tell me how to raise my kids", "mommy wouldn't help me here" (this one is ironic because in other books on the stars some authors have pointed out the star bailed the kid out other times when in financial straits which somehow didn't make it into the kid's book), "mommy tried to talk me out of marrying the man I did", "mommy tried to wreck my marriage", et al. Along with petty silly episodes (one such book actually includes an incident where the star apparently tried to pass off a store bought frozen dinner as home-made!!) .

These "kids" need to grow up and realize nobody is perfect, not even movie stars. If you've got a good parent, they will be interested in you and your issues for the rest of their life, if they stick their nose in at times when it is not needed or asked for, well that's just them trying to protect if in an awkward or ineffective way. And they probably wouldn't be doing it if you weren't running to them other times when you wanted their help!

"Mommie Dearest" books do not mean the star was physically abusive as in the Crawford book. The other star daughter/son books of this type are usually most often just infantile whining, "mommy talked sharp to me", "mommy tried to control my life", "mommy wouldn't buy me this", "mommy butted in trying to tell me how to raise my kids", "mommy wouldn't help me here" (this one is ironic because in other books on the stars some authors have pointed out the star bailed the kid out other times when in financial straits which somehow didn't make it into the kid's book), "mommy tried to talk me out of marrying the man I did", "mommy tried to wreck my marriage", et al. Along with petty silly episodes (one such book actually includes an incident where the star apparently tried to pass off a store bought frozen dinner as home-made!!) .

These "kids" need to grow up and realize nobody is perfect, not even movie stars. If you've got a good parent, they will be interested in you and your issues for the rest of their life, if they stick their nose in at times when it is not needed or asked for, well that's just them trying to protect if in an awkward or ineffective way. And they probably wouldn't be doing it if you weren't running to them other times when you wanted their help!

Oh my, your best post yet on this subject!

Since it was Stu who said or wrote it I absolutely believe it happened. And boy does it make me angry. I mean maybe ending it was the right thing to do since it was dying a terrible death BUT HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD HER ABOUT IT. He had no right to make that call.

But, if they had all taken a pay cut, the show might have gotten better with a little doctoring and it might have lasted instead of setting HER on the path to a much too early death. The last one aired with Audrey Meadows, surely was a much needed step in the right direction. I am also curious as to how much each party WAS paid, I have read gary 125 thousand, Lucy 100 thousand which was a very high salary for a lead performer back then, but HIM making more than her, I was furious for days. Even if he was a producer, i'm sure SHE was the executive producer so . . . I have since read these figures reversed whereas SHE made the 125 thousand, now THAT makes much more sense to ME!

No matter how close a mother and daughter is there will always be problems. My mom and I are very close, like best friends, but we have our issues. Different views, opinions, and some bad stories from the past. Shit, my dad and I don't even really communicate and we live together! Same with all parents and children though.

But like we said Lucie didn't understand her mom and dad until doing the home movies project and I'm guessing reading both biographies. But also resentment continues through her childhood, like her mother always at work, divorce, and alcoholism on Desi's part. Those things forever stay with you.

Then to be forever overshadowed by being Lucy and Desi's daughter. I'm sure it has crossed her mind that maybe she wouldn't be as famous if it wasn't for them. Her start would've been a lot more difficult and maybe she would be washed up today. But she continues through Lucy and Desi's legacy. Plus that girl is FULL of talent. On a different level from Lucy and Desi. Same with Desi Jr.

I also think she realizes now that she had the best talent scouts and mentors around. From her parents to Vivian Vance to, hell, every person she appeared with! Something you would take advantage so young. Admiration and fondness grow with time. The good overshadows the bad.

No matter how close a mother and daughter is there will always be problems. My mom and I are very close, like best friends, but we have our issues. Different views, opinions, and some bad stories from the past. Shit, my dad and I don't even really communicate and we live together! Same with all parents and children though.

But like we said Lucie didn't understand her mom and dad until doing the home movies project and I'm guessing reading both biographies. But also resentment continues through her childhood, like her mother always at work, divorce, and alcoholism on Desi's part. Those things forever stay with you.

Then to be forever overshadowed by being Lucy and Desi's daughter. I'm sure it has crossed her mind that maybe she wouldn't be as famous if it wasn't for them. Her start would've been a lot more difficult and maybe she would be washed up today. But she continues through Lucy and Desi's legacy. Plus that girl is FULL of talent. On a different level from Lucy and Desi. Same with Desi Jr.

I also think she realizes now that she had the best talent scouts and mentors around. From her parents to Vivian Vance to, hell, every person she appeared with! Something you would take advantage so young. Admiration and fondness grow with time. The good overshadows the bad.

Lucie was born July 17th and a few weeks later Lucy at August 6th, that's the problem, too much alike.

I have found the interview. I knew I had it, and it does have an audience. I don't think it's terrible. I think it's a daughter who is trying to come to terms with her relationship with her parents and FYI she does say some not flattering stuff on her father too. I think they get equal bad treatment, not to say the interview paints them as terrible people. I do think her Home Movies research really helped her figure out so much.

I have found the interview. I knew I had it, and it does have an audience. I don't think it's terrible. I think it's a daughter who is trying to come to terms with her relationship with her parents and FYI she does say some not flattering stuff on her father too. I think they get equal bad treatment, not to say the interview paints them as terrible people. I do think her Home Movies research really helped her figure out so much.

Thats how ive always felt. Her parents were two very complicated people. Kudos to her for looking for answers and I think trying to learn from it herself.

Hope one day her own kids do one on her.

Hope one day her own kids do one on her.

I'll say this much for Lucie I'm glad she had the tact and courtesy not to do an interview just like the Joan Rivers one during Lucy's lifetime. I think Lucy would have been absolutely destroyed to have seen that appearance even more so than Bette Davis' humiliation at seeing her daughter publish her book on Bette.

And speaking of these MD books of course Shirley MacLaine is the latest to get one in this "series", has anybody read it?

I'll say this much for Lucie I'm glad she had the tact and courtesy not to do an interview just like the Joan Rivers one during Lucy's lifetime. I think Lucy would have been absolutely destroyed to have seen that appearance even more so than Bette Davis' humiliation at seeing her daughter publish her book on Bette.

And speaking of these MD books of course Shirley MacLaine is the latest to get one in this "series", has anybody read it?

No, but I can't wait, dunno if her daughter has her GIFT for writing, I think I have every book Shirl ever wrote and they are all great.

• 5 months later...

I watched the Home Movies again last night and paid attention to the introduction. Lucie says "our pool". I always thought she said "my pool".

With the use of "our" it very well could be mean our family's pool, thus meaning Lucy's pool. So that makes the stories told match up.

Exactly, remember that footage we saw on one of the dvds, well, all those trees and shrubs could have been removed or even died.  Didn't we see the house also in the Home Movies footage so that's the guest cottage probably, in the background.  Did we establish a year for the Home Movies footage, could it have been when Desi stayed in that guest cottage after Edie died?

Archived