The Mortons of Wimpole Street?

I do remember reading something Lucy said her said about her that she was getting setup on these dates with this rich guys but were incredible boring and none of them made her happy. Probably a one or two date kind of thing.

She dated Larry King, Bill Paily after his wife died, Donald Trump's dad, Hank Fonda while filming The Good years, Regis Philbin, the usual suspects.

Harry, in your opinion, do you think she was considering going back to Desi? Have you ever heard anything about that? Ive heard conflicting things about that

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy considered it, but I have no idea how serious a consideration it may have been. Lucy and Desi were seen around town together in January 1961. Kathleen Brady's Lucille said that they talked of reconciliation at this time and that Lucy decided against it when Desi's lost ring was returned to her. However, it was reported in the newspapers in May 1961 that the ring had just been returned to Lucy a few days earlier. I highly doubt Lucy waited four months before giving Desi any kind of answer. I believe these two incidents were merged in Lucy's retelling to Jim Brochu nearly 30 years later. The ring was probably returned just a few days before their divorce became official and she realized it was really the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy considered it, but I have no idea how serious a consideration it may have been. Lucy and Desi were seen around town together in January 1961. Kathleen Brady's Lucille said that they talked of reconciliation at this time and that Lucy decided against it when Desi's lost ring was returned to her. However, it was reported in the newspapers in May 1961 that the ring had just been returned to Lucy a few days earlier. I highly doubt Lucy waited four months before giving Desi any kind of answer. I believe these two incidents were merged in Lucy's retelling to Jim Brochu nearly 30 years later. The ring was probably returned just a few days before their divorce became official and she realized it was really the end.

Thanks. I believe Lucy and Desi were together because of the opening of Wildcat right?

I pulled out a couple of books last night to see if I could help with this timeline. I’m wrong on the ring story being in Lucy’s book, it’s recounted in Desilu and Brady’s Lucille. Lucy’s book thought does help with some timeline stuff. Jimmy is correct on those dates given. The engagement date though is what get’s contradicted.

I listened to the interview where Frank says that the engagement was the same day as that space thing, so that was April, but in Lucy’s book she tells it like they decided to get married about a week before they did. They were on their way to NYC (probably for the Fonda special) and Lucy said that if Peale wasn’t busy that week they would get married the following Sat. So the way she tells it there was no proposal up until this point. I’m wondering if Frank got things mixed up and this was the “be my girl” conversation that happened that night. In Lucy’s book she says there were other people they were dining with that night though. The timeline sounds better this way as to get engaged to someone after 4 months when it seemed like she had to take some time to figure him out and even if she wanted to get married again at this point seems rushed. And then why the long wait until Nov to get married when the divorce went thorough in May? Not that the wedding seemed rushed but it sounded more like something that was put together in a week.

On The Mike Douglas Show in 1978, Lucy told the story of Gary proposing to her with a ring and everything. She said they were out to dinner with Jack and Paula Carter and they really hadn't been going together that long. I think this was the April date and they did get engaged at this time. I think they finally picked a date to get married on the plane to New York in November.

Wonder why she never talked about the propsal in her book? The way it's written it sounds like something that happened in Nov but maybe she just deceided to go through with it then. Would not have been the first time she called off an engagement.

Wonder why she never talked about the propsal in her book? The way it's written it sounds like something that happened in Nov but maybe she just deceided to go through with it then. Would not have been the first time she called off an engagement.

She might've thought she wasn't getting any younger so she'd take the first guy that came along. What she should've done is taken a longer time just being by herself and doing her own thing rather than get another man lined up. I guess she didn't like being without a man for too long though, even if it was Gary. LOL

If you look back through her life I don’t think she was very often without a man. For such a strong willed, independent woman she seemed to really rely on having a man for whatever reason. I think what she sought out in guys in her younger days changed as she got older. In reading this transition period from the 3 books I pulled out last night the consensus was she needed someone to lean on. One of the books talks about her mother making her see that she was not getting any younger and the kids were getting older she was going to be alone. She picked someone who she could lean on. When you have been with men all your life and then to not have a steady man around you are bound to go find one anyway you can, be it running back to the ex or running to the next best thing. At this point she was ready to do both. I think the decision she made was the best of the 2 at the time, but the ultimate would have been to give herself some alone time. Of course this may have resulted in her running off to Switzerland or wherever and then not having the career she had. Heck we may only have known her for just one decades worth of work to make her famous and not the legacy of 30 more years of Lucy on TV and movies.

Checked our local newspaper online archives for 1960 and 61. The stories on the divorce and her marriage both made the FRONT page. And this was in a newspaper era when the front page was chock-full of ACTUAL news unlike today. Worth noting: "Miss Ball is 50. Mr. Morton is in his early 40s."

Checked our local newspaper online archives for 1960 and 61. The stories on the divorce and her marriage both made the FRONT page. And this was in a newspaper era when the front page was chock-full of ACTUAL news unlike today. Worth noting: "Miss Ball is 50. Mr. Morton is in his early 40s."

Yeah, but I think they were referring to his IQ, not his age.

If you look back through her life I don’t think she was very often without a man. For such a strong willed, independent woman she seemed to really rely on having a man for whatever reason. I think what she sought out in guys in her younger days changed as she got older. In reading this transition period from the 3 books I pulled out last night the consensus was she needed someone to lean on. One of the books talks about her mother making her see that she was not getting any younger and the kids were getting older she was going to be alone. She picked someone who she could lean on. When you have been with men all your life and then to not have a steady man around you are bound to go find one anyway you can, be it running back to the ex or running to the next best thing. At this point she was ready to do both. I think the decision she made was the best of the 2 at the time, but the ultimate would have been to give herself some alone time. Of course this may have resulted in her running off to Switzerland or wherever and then not having the career she had. Heck we may only have known her for just one decades worth of work to make her famous and not the legacy of 30 more years of Lucy on TV and movies.

It was a very interesting period in her life. Frankly, I think she should have given herself a little more time before getting into another serious relationship. But she wanted companionship. She said herself she was lonely. I just wish I understood why she saw Gary as her best option at the time. Give yourself more time woman! You've just gone through a very difficult experience. She wrote in her book that her love for Gary was "slowgrowth". Yet she was engaged in a little over four months :huh:

Archived