Mama's Family to get FANTASTIC box set this September!

Mot Morenzi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EUNICE special is on You Tube in NINE friggin parts. Just watched it as the premiere of the Bourne movie with Jeremy Renner was boring as hell. I forgot how this was but remembered the ending. Almost no laughs at all, all drama and sad as hell, will not be buying that series to get THIS special, it's like watching a Tennessee Williams play but not as well written. Dick Clair and Jenna McMahon usually do better than this.

Me too, in fact I wasn't surprised when NBC cancelled the show in it's network run as I didn't think it was that good and wasn't a regular viewer, Vicki was the whole show then, Betty's character was probably the least appealing thing she ever did and Rue just wasn't well cast as prudish type (I always felt Iola was a reworking of the character and a superb example of great retooling). And the kids added nothing to the show. The syndicated episodes were much funnier and had notably less emphasis on fighting although Mama was her undiluted sour old self.

Re "Naomi in the 80's years", I thought the show was JUST in the 80's, did it last longer than I remember? I actually always loved Dorothy Lyman who more than a few thought had the potential to be something of a "new Lucy", she was awesome on ALL MY CHILDREN and got me hooked on a soap for the first and only time in my life. I remember Jane Pauley interviewing her and commenting on the similarities which Lyman had clearly heard before. (I always think of this character though as "Skeeter", Vint's nickname for her rather than Naomi.)

I'm more familiar with the NBC version but one of the big reasons I want to get the new set is to see the syndicated epps. Its unfortunate Carol was never involved due to her divorce from Joe Hamilton (they even had to get a vocal double to voice Eunice in a phone call scene) but I look forward to seeing more of Beverly Archer and co. Never minded Buzz much but Sonja was so badly written. Even worse than Chris Carmichael when it comes to teenage stereotypes on TV.

• 1 month later...

The EUNICE special is on You Tube in NINE friggin parts. Just watched it as the premiere of the Bourne movie with Jeremy Renner was boring as hell. I forgot how this was but remembered the ending. Almost no laughs at all, all drama and sad as hell, will not be buying that series to get THIS special, it's like watching a Tennessee Williams play but not as well written. Dick Clair and Jenna McMahon usually do better than this.

Totally agree with you on this, always have felt that way, very pretentious, heavy-handed piece of nonsense, blatant Emmy-shooting at making Carol a "serious dramatic actress" , love her, love Eunice, but not this Eunice. (She did get nominated as I recall, probably because she is so beloved in the industry but I suspect that was probably the only Emmy nom.) The ending was particularly bad IMO and not credible.

• 2 weeks later...

This is neat. One of the original openings during the NBC years. In addition to the Harvey Korman introduction it features a different house than the one used during the syndicated years. No doubt Time Life has restored these openings for the first two season DVD sets. When seasons 1 and 2 were syndicated with the remaining four seasons the new house was spliced into the openings.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived