Profiles in History- Lucille Ball Auction from the Estate Elois Jenssen

Well, I can hardly believe that this was the best photo that they could find of her in this blouse

1012300_428180170613687_145201229_n.jpg

What about all the publicity shots they did of her in this shirt?

If you go into the "Bid online" section of the website, some have additional images that aren't featured in the catalog. This one does include a publicity photo: http://www.artfact.c...82-c-669ddc61c5

Thanks so much for posting this link for us, Desiluforever! Love the sketches of some of the dresses, so classy & flowy & beautiful. She was such a talented designer. A collection of her work would make a nice book. Oh, & the blue polka dot dress? I want it! :)Whoever gets that iconic piece will be one lucky Lucy fan. I wonder if it will go for above the $40,000 - $60,000 estimate?

Thanks so much for posting this link for us, Desiluforever! Love the sketches of some of the dresses, so classy & flowy & beautiful. She was such a talented designer. A collection of her work would make a nice book. Oh, & the blue polka dot dress? I want it! :)Whoever gets that iconic piece will be one lucky Lucy fan. I wonder if it will go for above the $40,000 - $60,000 estimate?

A book would be AMAZING... I signed up and bid on her slippers and it has been pending approval all day... there are bids on everything but they all say pending approval! :/

Well, I can hardly believe that this was the best photo that they could find of her in this blouse

1012300_428180170613687_145201229_n.jpg

What about all the publicity shots they did of her in this shirt?

I agree, terrible picture. Yet the blouse looked lovely in close up but it looks terrible all laid out in the other photo. You can't see the detail work and it's so long and plain looking on a rack. But just lovely on her.

Ok, who the hell emptied their garage? Beautiful items in there but I refuse to believe that's the Emmy dress, picture looks nothing like the real thing except for the gaudy colors, is it missing the sheer top part?

So, did somebody I R O N that lovely Emmy dress add on sheer cover, maybe Ricky Ricardo, so it was ruined and they're selling the dress alone which takes away all it's beauty.

• 4 weeks later...

That was like the eBay one. I'm not going for anything. Anyone else here trying?

I was seriously thinking about going for the blue gingham blouse from HL, but that 23% Buyers Premium stopped me.

ETA: If Raymond is just the net minder, I withdraw my earlier remark. lol

Yes, the Profiles in History Lucy auction (that zipped through 84 lots in less than an hour) and had almost 14 items pass (meaning the reserve was not met and no winner) does not bode too well for the "Lucy" collecting world. While there certainly were some wonderful, 'high-ticket' items, on the whole, things went for a lot less than hoped for. As far as I know, there are two of the Ricardo prints that hung over the piano and thought for sure this would go for at least $10-15,000. The gavel price was a paltry $8,000. (not really paltry these days, but in auctions, it's paltry.)

The iconic polka dot dress did go for $140,000, but there are those that have doubts to its vintage status. It's still an Elois Jenssen, though.

While Lucille Ball is still a beloved actress (and always will be) and her items are highly collected among fans, she is not in the stratosphere of her 1950's comrade, Marilyn Monroe. To see a single, solitary 4x5 color transparency of MM (with copyrights) go for $30,000 is beyond imagination. To see the famed white "Seven Year Itch" dress go for $5 million only two years ago at the Debbie Reynolds auction is more than amazing. At that same auction Lucy's very recognizable copper outfit from "The Long, Long Trailer" only went for $16,000 and demonstrates my point.

All in all, it will never sway my devotion to the redhead, but it is an interesting circumstance.

Yes, the Profiles in History Lucy auction (that zipped through 84 lots in less than an hour) and had almost 14 items pass (meaning the reserve was not met and no winner) does not bode too well for the "Lucy" collecting world. While there certainly were some wonderful, 'high-ticket' items, on the whole, things went for a lot less than hoped for. As far as I know, there are two of the Ricardo prints that hung over the piano and thought for sure this would go for at least $10-15,000. The gavel price was a paltry $8,000. (not really paltry these days, but in auctions, it's paltry.)

The iconic polka dot dress did go for $140,000, but there are those that have doubts to its vintage status. It's still an Elois Jenssen, though.

While Lucille Ball is still a beloved actress (and always will be) and her items are highly collected among fans, she is not in the stratosphere of her 1950's comrade, Marilyn Monroe. To see a single, solitary 4x5 color transparency of MM (with copyrights) go for $30,000 is beyond imagination. To see the famed white "Seven Year Itch" dress go for $5 million only two years ago at the Debbie Reynolds auction is more than amazing. At that same auction Lucy's very recognizable copper outfit from "The Long, Long Trailer" only went for $16,000 and demonstrates my point.

All in all, it will never sway my devotion to the redhead, but it is an interesting circumstance.

The Monroe dress was seen by absolutely everybody and was truly iconic for decades and was almost as famous as Judy's red shoes from Oz, not in the same league at all, in a special class all by itself. Just went to a Grace Kelly exhibition at the McCord Museum here in Montreal and besides her wedding dress, what dress of hers has any world recognition? Yes, WE here all know the red polka dot dress but I doubt the general public does.

Archived