Poor Ann had three marriages for a COMBINED total of 5 years as a wife. I always assumed she had married and was raising a family because she was out of the limelight after the MGM 50s musicals faded until "Mame" in 1969 resurrected her from a steady decline where she would have ended up a checker at the Pig.

Given how indestructible she seemed, 80 was a young age for her to die. IF you believe she was 14 during "Stage Door", that is.

What kind of a decline was Ann in? Was she bankrupt or something? Surely the Ann Miller Frog Collection generated SOME revenue.

What kind of a decline was Ann in? Was she bankrupt or something? Surely the Ann Miller Frog Collection generated SOME revenue.

I actually don't know that she was in any kind of decline, but as she said during her hours at the Pig "They stopped makin' tap dancin' movies" by the 60s.   She wasn't remembered as an A-list star of the Golden Era.   I don't know that she was THE star of any of her movies.   You didn't see her much until the late 70s with "Love Boat" and "Sugar Babies".    Along the way, she did a TV commercial for a product that did something to "cellulite"  which she pronounced "cell-you-leet"  (rhymes with bend-knee-feet) with her hearty endorsement "Take it from me, ANN MILLER!"

I actually don't know that she was in any kind of decline, but as she said during her hours at the Pig "They stopped makin' tap dancin' movies" by the 60s. She wasn't remembered as an A-list star of the Golden Era. I don't know that she was THE star of any of her movies. You didn't see her much until the late 70s with "Love Boat" and "Sugar Babies". Along the way, she did a TV commercial for a product that did something to "cellulite" which she pronounced "cell-you-leet" (rhymes with bend-knee-feet) with her hearty endorsement "Take it from me, ANN MILLER!"

The sheer amount of weird crap involved with Ann could fill several books. Some of my favorites:

-She invented pantyhose

- Legally born with the first name "Johnnie"

- Auditioned for Easter Parade while wearing a back brace

- Had a prosthetic nose extension

- Took up dancing to get over the rickets

- On all of her tax returns she listed her occupation as "Star Lady"

My Personal Favorite:

Ann said that the reason she was so unlucky with men was because in a past life she was an Egyptian queen who executed all lovers that displeased her!

The sheer amount of weird crap involved with Ann could fill several books. Some of my favorites:

-She invented pantyhose

-

- Being proposed to by L.B. Mayer

- Discovered by that crack talent scouting team of Ball and Rubin

-She invented pantyhose

- Auditioned for Easter Parade while wearing a back brace

- Had a prosthetic nose extension

- Took up dancing to get over the rickets

- On all of her tax returns she listed her occupation as "Star Lady"

My Personal Favorite:

Ann said that the reason she was so unlucky with men was because in a past life she was an Egyptian queen who executed all lovers that displeased her!

I watched Ann's "This is Your Life" on youtube.  One of the friends who attended was Jane Withers who revealed that her (Jane's) first husband was Ann's third.

Look, if Hedy Lamarr invented radar and Lucy thwarted an underground Japanese plot by receiving radio signals through her dental work, then Ann inventing panty hose isn't much more of a stretch.

Note to Ann: When you're wearing your nose extension, don't let anyone light a short cigarette for you!

Since Ann started work at 12 or 13, she obviously had no education beyond the 6th grade.  Here's a story from someone who knew her:

They were motoring through New York City and pointed out a historic wooden structure that dated back to the 1600s.  Ann: "Does wood last that long?"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...