Rare Lucille Ball memorabiliato be featured in live auction

Those events were always free during the festival. Any good museum with that much in the collection and with limited space would rotate. Make it worth the trip for returning fans.

Guess the picture rule went out with Ric. We literally got yelled at by the female cronie of his. I fought her on it saying I did in the past and could not understand why I was not allowed to now. I was not using flash, which is a general museum rule to not fade the items. Pics at the auction were OK though.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any reporters in town who might be interested in looking into these allegations? If money & property are being mismanaged, perhaps being publicy exposed would put a stop to it. After reading all the posts here, to me the question has become, is what they are doing illegal?

Joyce, the auction stuff was just added to the Melody Thomas Scott stuff just days ago. Why would they list Lucy items one week before the festival instead of at the beginning of the ads? The clothes from Melody have been in the back of the basement at Lucy Desi since Melody was here. It is old and has been sitting there for years.

The other stuff, Journey said herself, came from the archives. She says they are doubles. Doubles or not, they should be kept in archives. Donated items to the museum should never be sold. And do you think that the sewing kit is a double. And I would like to see all this double stuff together! I am sure the archive person has no idea what is what in that room.

As for Lucie, why would you say she is heavily in the $$ background. I don't believe that is true. She has nothing to gain or lose here. The fans have an "experience" to lose many items that belong to the Center.

I'll try to answer; because, some of this 'stuff' is in what I refer to as 'the secrecy mode'; this type of thing should have already 'come out' - facts are what they are. Have NO IDEA when Melody donated; I remember when she was here and said she had donated; so, probably some things did NOT sell back then. If they were properly cared for, why NOT sell them in a FUND-RAISER?

People who spend money at the Museum and to come here for Festivals spend much money just getting here; staying here.

What's wrong with 'exposure' of wrong things. Keeping them all a secret is what's wrong. I sometimes wonder if all the employees since 2002 had to sign some kind of secrecy oath; since, the horrible way some of them were 'let go' never seem to say much about these things....

Back to my 'answer': agreed about 'donated items' the ones that are still there; I agree that Lucille probably had only ONE sewing box; the ARCHIVES has ALWAYS been in bad shape; apparently, there is NOT MONEY ENOUGH to hire someone full time it its care, which should be the FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS, in my view.

I was told Lucie still HOLDS THE REINs OF THE COMPLEX; WHY WOULD SHE EVER GIVE IT UP; ISN'T IT STILL A $$MAKER FOR HER on a yearly basis? I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE GAVE UP HER CONTROL.

Lastly, I don't have ANY idea what your last sentence means.

If doubles are available, and can be proven to be doubles, and the Museum needs funding, I don't see wrong in letting a fan or two be happy to have something worn by Lucille Ball.... Some folks have deep pockets; and auctions, which we've always had, reveal that much. Something that comes to mind is the bottles of wine which were available for each Festival, bringing in huge $$. Some other things sold for ridiculous prices. FUND-RAISING is what any Museum has to have as part of its overhead.

I'm not purposely being negative; but, I can see both sides of an argument.

Bill Rapaport shared a page: Lucy Desi Center.

I just posted this on the Lucy Desi Center FB page:

"I think the current management and trustees of the Center don't understand the nature of auctions or of gifts to the Center. Auctions should only consist of merchandise that individual collectors have donated to the Center for the precise purpose of auctioning them off, as is done for any typical charitable auction as a way of fund-raising. When one museum-like institution, such as Universal's Lucy exhibit, transfers items to another such institution, those items should become part of the archives and not subject to a sell-off. Is the Center in such dire need of funds that they prefer selling off their archives rather than running a fund-raising campaign?"

Anyone wishing to comment should do so at https://www.facebook...131667716884328 so that the management can read the comments

Thanks for this, Bill; as usual you are up-front and 'factual' with your statements; I appreciate that about you. Let's get ALL THE FACTS out; it's time, and way past time!

Don't the folks behind the scenes at the Center who run the day-to-day, supposedly . . ., [there's been such a changeover in Board Members in the past few years, . . . are they really up on all this stuff????] Who, for instance, makes the decisions about auction materials????

I believe everyone HERE would like to know; I KNOW I WOULD; if others don't want to read it, they can stay uninformed; this would be a good avenue for you to 'spill'; so 'spill', guy.

Loving you, JK

I'll try to answer; because, some of this 'stuff' is in what I refer to as 'the secrecy mode'; this type of thing should have already 'come out' - facts are what they are. Have NO IDEA when Melody donated; I remember when she was here and said she had donated; so, probably some things did NOT sell back then. If they were properly cared for, why NOT sell them in a FUND-RAISER?

People who spend money at the Museum and to come here for Festivals spend much money just getting here; staying here.

What's wrong with 'exposure' of wrong things. Keeping them all a secret is what's wrong. I sometimes wonder if all the employees since 2002 had to sign some kind of secrecy oath; since, the horrible way some of them were 'let go' never seem to say much about these things....

Back to my 'answer': agreed about 'donated items' the ones that are still there; I agree that Lucille probably had only ONE sewing box; the ARCHIVES has ALWAYS been in bad shape; apparently, there is NOT MONEY ENOUGH to hire someone full time it its care, which should be the FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS, in my view.

I was told Lucie still HOLDS THE REINs OF THE COMPLEX; WHY WOULD SHE EVER GIVE IT UP; ISN'T IT STILL A $$MAKER FOR HER on a yearly basis? I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE GAVE UP HER CONTROL.

Lastly, I don't have ANY idea what your last sentence means.

If doubles are available, and can be proven to be doubles, and the Museum needs funding, I don't see wrong in letting a fan or two be happy to have something worn by Lucille Ball...WHAT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO THE ONE DISPLAY? . Some folks have deep pockets; and auctions, which we've always had, reveal that much. Something that comes to mind is the bottles of wine which were available for each Festival, bringing in huge $$. Some other things sold for ridiculous prices. FUND-RAISING is what any Museum has to have as part of its overhead.

I'm not purposely being negative; but, I can see both sides of an argument.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF MUSEUM SELLING ANYTHING FROM IT'S ARCHIVES. ONCE SOMETHING IS DONATED, IT SHOULD STAY WITHIN THE PLACE. IN MY OPINION, THEY SHOULD BE BUYING NEW STUFF FOR THE ARCHIVES INSTEAD OF SUPPORTING THE NEW PLACE IN THE TRAIN STATION. ASHTRAYS FROM LUCY'S HOME CANNOT EVER BE REPLACE! THE MONOGRAMMED SEWING KIT CAN NEVER BE REPLACED.

THEY have someone taking care of the archives now. The got a grant to do that. I have no idea how it looks or how far a stranger would have gotten not knowing what is what in there, but seriously, selling anything from archives is wrong!

PS-There were a hundred things of Melody's in the basement. The stuff has been hanging on a bar for years. I know, I hung it there years ago. That is what will be up for auciton, or at least some of it. That is what should be sold, but I bet the proceeds will support the Hall of Fame and not anything Lucy related!

I am Jessica :)

Okay; someone thinks you are a good candidate for Executive Director; care to share your expertise?

I'm sure this Lounge would be interested in your credentials.

We ARE fans, after all; we all care about the goings on at the Center; and are dedicated to the memory of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

Thanks for your reply.

I asked Melody about her feelings about the center via twitter a couple of years ago and this is the response I received from her.....

Melody Thomas Scott@MelodyThomasSco7 Jun 11

@jessieb5983 The most obvious choice to lead the L/D Center was Ric Wyman.Outrageously pushed out the door.If Ric returns,I wil2

Guess she's ANOTHER PERSON who wasn't given the facts; the Arnaz children certainly weren't; Wanda wasn't; Kay wasn't; certainly, the FANS weren't; and there are still folks out there who think he was. So, who is right?

I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN THIS REPLY....IF ONE IS GIVEN....

Are there any reporters in town who might be interested in looking into these allegations? If money & property are being mismanaged, perhaps being publicy exposed would put a stop to it. After reading all the posts here, to me the question has become, is what they are doing illegal?

Bill Rapaport would be the expert about this situation; wish he'd come over here and 'talk' to us; he's the calming effect in all this; I truly believe if someone came up to him and gave him a punch, he'd smile and say 'thanks, I needed that!" Great guy; good logic; down-to-earth type. Love to hear from him.

As for the Post-Journal - well, there are no words; all the 'powers to be' kept a hands-off approach when certain folks were trying to expose what was going on behind the scenes some years ago, and 'they' only came on board when the Board resigned; and the great fire occurred. Still, many facts did not emerge....

IT'S TIME FOLKS; time to expose....er....don't drop your drawers; but, exposure is what may be needed here; I've been away from it so long; I still have INTEREST: but, NOT ENOUGH....

I just know a lot of people who should never have been, were grievously HURT the last time..... I was one of them....

I have been factual Joyce. You can't make this shit up! Remember, Hear me now, believe me later:) Let's have a drink soon...

ANYTIME! I'm thirsty right now;;;;;;but, have to work a funeral 'wake' at the Legion today; stop up after 3! that would be Lakewood, not Celoron....

I have no answer to this. Ric treated all of us like crap. He talked behind the "stars" backs but was wonderful to their faces. They still think he was in the right here. Perhaps the current board should have sent letters out to ex-board members showing them the debt and disarray that center was left in. I was here, in the mix, so I saw it. Hey, I was accused of "inappropriate advances" towards Ric. Like I said, you can't make this up!

I donated $250,000.00 that was supposed to stay in a fund to use the income to float them through winters. That money was spent on the new Museum. My name should be on that as well, but that's water under the bridge. Perhaps there should be a festival where all the fans come, the board sits on the stage, we all ask our questions and then everyone will know the truth about the whole damn place.

I have no answer to this. Ric treated all of us like crap. He talked behind the "stars" backs but was wonderful to their faces. They still think he was in the right here. Perhaps the current board should have sent letters out to ex-board members showing them the debt and disarray that center was left in. I was here, in the mix, so I saw it. Hey, I was accused of "inappropriate advances" towards Ric. Like I said, you can't make this up!

I donated $250,000.00 that was supposed to stay in a fund to use the income to float them through winters. That money was spent on the new Museum. My name should be on that as well, but that's water under the bridge. Perhaps there should be a festival where all the fans come, the board sits on the stage, we all ask our questions and then everyone will know the truth about the whole damn place.

You're making a good start; keep it up....been waiting, patiently, for about 6 years for this....

Archived