Your Favorite Lucy Movie Era

Lucyilove

Which era of her career did you feel Lucy made the best movies?

The RKO Years (1937-42)?

The MGM Years (1942-46)?

The Freelance Years (1946-1951)?

Post TV Fame (1954-1974)?

What are your favorite two or three films from each period. (Of course Lucy was at RKO earlier than 1937 but I limited it to when she had real parts).

For me my favorite era is probably The RKO Years because they let her do a little bit of everything, comedies, dramas, westerns. I really enjoy her B films from 1938-1939 where she is learning her trade and yet is already a total pro.

My favorites of her films are -

The RKO YEARS - The Affairs of Annabel, Next Time I Marry, Beauty for the Asking (also totally love many others, very hard to limit to three)

THE MGM YEARS - Best Foot Forward, Easy to Wed, DuBarry was a Lady

THE FREELANCE YEARS - Miss Grant Takes Richmond, The Fuller Brush Girl, Fancy Pants

POST TV FAME - The Long Long Trailer, Yours Mine and Ours, Forever Darling (I know it's not a great film but I love seeing Lucy & Desi together in color and I love the early bickering and the dream sequence)

I love each era in different ways. The early RKO are like watching her learn the tricks of the trade. MGM are the glamorous films, where her beauty really shined. Freelance, her best films came out around this time, her comedy was really shining. Then of course post TV fame, the scripts were better, budget was high, and they were all made in favor of Lucy's comedic talent.

RKO years: The Big Street, Dance, Girl, Dance, Stage Door, Anabel films.

MGM: Easy to Wed, DuBarry Was A Lady, Without Love, Meet The People.

Freelance: Lured, Fuller Brush Girl, Fancy Pants, Miss Grant Takes Richmond.

Post TV: I love all the films after 1950. If I could pick a top 4 though. Facts of Life, The Long, Long Trailer, Mame, Yours, Mine, and Ours.

Ok, this is a toughie, i'm sure i'll forget one great film or performance . . . . RKO: The Big Street, The Big Street, The Big Street. MGM, Dubarry, Best foot and easy to wed. FREELANCE, Lured, Dark Corner and Fuller Brush, POST TV FAME: Yours mine and ours, Trailer and M A M E . But ask me next month and it'll probably all be different. Well, except for The Big Street and M A M E anyway.

Love talking about Lucy movies. I think my favorite era was the RKO years. It’s a big period with a lot of films. It’s like watching Lucy in acting school. You see where she starts getting her footing, what she is good at and honing at this time. Bad scripts and all she can still shine through them.

Favorites from each era:

RKO: A Girl, A Guy and A Gob, Dance Girl Dance, Big Street. These 3 films run the gamut of acting and showcase her best as an actress. The first is a good story and Lucy is just so adorable playing well with the comedy but also the melodramatic moments too. She looks to be having such a good time in this movie (this is the last one she does before she gets married). DGD- she has great spunk in this part. And I think for pure sex appeal she never looked better. MGM gave her glamour and enhanced the beauty but that hula number drips with sex that is missing in the MGM films. BS-Lucy gave this her all and to go from total bitch to finally accepting your fate is played well. Favorite part is where she finally breaks down in the hospital near the end.

MGM: Too Smart People and Easy to Wed- ETW she is at the height of glamour but is fantastic at the comedy in this and is so adorable in the drunk scene. I think this is what the problem was at MGM. How could you not see how great she handled comedy here, but what they didn’t get was how could someone this gorgeous be funny? They just did not know what to do with her.

TSP- I am mesmerized by this film and watch it often. I noticed something on my like 10th viewing of this. When Lucy first appears on camera the song in the background playing is “How About You”. This film suffers from not knowing what it wants to be comedy, film noir? The subdued acting is wonderful, the film noiresque lighting is good, especially in the really dark scenes (thanks Karl Freund). Also the cousin Cleo cameo is fun to look for. I really like her leading man in this movie and she looks gorgeous again.

Freelance: Dark Corner and Lured. I love film noir Lucy. Lured she had a little more bite to the character but still playing the dramatic moments well. The costumes by Eloise are stunning. I based the bottom of my wedding dress off the engagement scene dress. Only thing that bugs is I feel like she had no onscreen chemistry with Sanders despite what may have been happening off-screen.

DC-I don’t know if it was the fog Lucy said she was in when she did this movie but what we get is a quitter style of acting. It’s lacking the bite she had in Lured but the determination of the character still comes out. The commentary on the DVD is good for this one and again a good leading man pairing helps this film along.

Post TV Fame: Facts of Life- At a time when everyone knew her as “Lucy” she took a risk and played a more serious character in a movie with adult themes. I also think she looks lovely in this and it showed that she still had a flare for drama mixed with light comedy. The Bob Hope pairing really helps this film too. Best of the 4 she did with Hope.

Long, Long, Trailer and Forever Darling are good to see them together and in color but I feel I need a departure from “Lucy” the big screen edition. She does look gorgeous in both and it’s one of the reasons I do continue to watch them often.

Love talking about Lucy movies. I think my favorite era was the RKO years. It’s a big period with a lot of films. It’s like watching Lucy in acting school. You see where she starts getting her footing, what she is good at and honing at this time. Bad scripts and all she can still shine through them.

Favorites from each era:

RKO: A Girl, A Guy and A Gob, Dance Girl Dance, Big Street. These 3 films run the gamut of acting and showcase her best as an actress. The first is a good story and Lucy is just so adorable playing well with the comedy but also the melodramatic moments too. She looks to be having such a good time in this movie (this is the last one she does before she gets married). DGD- she has great spunk in this part. And I think for pure sex appeal she never looked better. MGM gave her glamour and enhanced the beauty but that hula number drips with sex that is missing in the MGM films. BS-Lucy gave this her all and to go from total bitch to finally accepting your fate is played well. Favorite part is where she finally breaks down in the hospital near the end.

MGM: Too Smart People and Easy to Wed- ETW she is at the height of glamour but is fantastic at the comedy in this and is so adorable in the drunk scene. I think this is what the problem was at MGM. How could you not see how great she handled comedy here, but what they didn’t get was how could someone this gorgeous be funny? They just did not know what to do with her.

TSP- I am mesmerized by this film and watch it often. I noticed something on my like 10th viewing of this. When Lucy first appears on camera the song in the background playing is “How About You”. This film suffers from not knowing what it wants to be comedy, film noir? The subdued acting is wonderful, the film noiresque lighting is good, especially in the really dark scenes (thanks Karl Freund). Also the cousin Cleo cameo is fun to look for. I really like her leading man in this movie and she looks gorgeous again.

Freelance: Dark Corner and Lured. I love film noir Lucy. Lured she had a little more bite to the character but still playing the dramatic moments well. The costumes by Eloise are stunning. I based the bottom of my wedding dress off the engagement scene dress. Only thing that bugs is I feel like she had no onscreen chemistry with Sanders despite what may have been happening off-screen.

DC-I don’t know if it was the fog Lucy said she was in when she did this movie but what we get is a quitter style of acting. It’s lacking the bite she had in Lured but the determination of the character still comes out. The commentary on the DVD is good for this one and again a good leading man pairing helps this film along.

Post TV Fame: Facts of Life- At a time when everyone knew her as “Lucy” she took a risk and played a more serious character in a movie with adult themes. I also think she looks lovely in this and it showed that she still had a flare for drama mixed with light comedy. The Bob Hope pairing really helps this film too. Best of the 4 she did with Hope.

Long, Long, Trailer and Forever Darling are good to see them together and in color but I feel I need a departure from “Lucy” the big screen edition. She does look gorgeous in both and it’s one of the reasons I do continue to watch them often.

Agreed, Facts of Life is DEFINITELY the best one she ever did with Hope, although Little Miss Marker remake Sorrowful Jones shows her off so well as a genuine caring mother for a change. George Sanders never had chemistry with any woman on screen, he saved all of it for his mirror and himself. How about you is only one of many songs from her films that got showcased in her tv series. And rightly so, they are classics. Lucy and Bob were so adamant about not being their usual selves in Facts of Life and they both succeeded in my opinion. For Lucy, the Queen of Television and studio head, there's always Critic's Choice, flawed but a showcase for Lucy's later reign as Queen of all things. And I agree about the COLOR thing, man, after hearing about that red hair for years, it's always such a joy for any Lucy fan to finally see that hair in color, not to mention her blue eyes.

I haven't seen all of her movies... but of the ones I have seen... RKO : Five Came Back ( I just like this movie and I love seeing her in it) Anabell series, Beauty For The Asking ( I like how she pronounces petroleum hahha), and The Big Street (she looks great in this movie). Her MGM years I think Easy To Wed is my favorite and her freelance years I would have to say Lured and The Fuller Brush Girl. Now on to post tv superstardom... The Facts of Life for many reasons.. .first.. I think it is the nicely wigged and high eyebrow 60's look that I adore sooo much, and those wonderful BUICK cars... and knowing it was filmed at Desilu Studios and of course Steve and Edie singing the title song (which I wish I had a copy of), then I think Yours Mine and Ours.. I don't think you could ask for a better actress to portray Helen North than Lucille Ball... also filmed on the Desilu lot, I think this is a movie that perfectly matches Miss Ball's talents and abilities... she isn't "Lucy" but she sure keeps us just as interested as she does on her tv shows. And finally.. M A M E for her "I AINT GONNA QUIT" attitude and the fact that she just gives her all ... (right or wrong)... I admire that in her.. (I know others have that same drive.. actresses/actors, business men, etc.) I just like knowing she was one of those types that wanted to keep at it. Wasn't it Claudette Colbert who told her to... "Get in front of the audience every year, let them see you every year.. that way they won't notice that you're getting older because they'll be getting older too"

I haven't seen all of her movies... but of the ones I have seen... RKO : Five Came Back ( I just like this movie and I love seeing her in it) Anabell series, Beauty For The Asking ( I like how she pronounces petroleum hahha), and The Big Street (she looks great in this movie). Her MGM years I think Easy To Wed is my favorite and her freelance years I would have to say Lured and The Fuller Brush Girl. Now on to post tv superstardom... The Facts of Life for many reasons.. .first.. I think it is the nicely wigged and high eyebrow 60's look that I adore sooo much, and those wonderful BUICK cars... and knowing it was filmed at Desilu Studios and of course Steve and Edie singing the title song (which I wish I had a copy of), then I think Yours Mine and Ours.. I don't think you could ask for a better actress to portray Helen North than Lucille Ball... also filmed on the Desilu lot, I think this is a movie that perfectly matches Miss Ball's talents and abilities... she isn't "Lucy" but she sure keeps us just as interested as she does on her tv shows. And finally.. M A M E for her "I AINT GONNA QUIT" attitude and the fact that she just gives her all ... (right or wrong)... I admire that in her.. (I know others have that same drive.. actresses/actors, business men, etc.) I just like knowing she was one of those types that wanted to keep at it. Wasn't it Claudette Colbert that told her to... "Get in front of the audience every year, let them see you every year.. that way they won't notice that you're getting older because they'll be getting older too"

Oh my, never heard that one before but so true, thanks Claudette.

The RKO Years: The Big Street and Dance, Girl, Dance

The MGM Years: Easy To Wed

The Freelance Years: The Fuller Brush Girl and Miss Grant Takes Richmond

Post TV Fame: The Long, Long Trailer, The Facts of Life, Yours, Mine And Ours and Mame

If you EVER run for anything, YOU GOT MY VOTE! Excellent choices.

RKO Years: Stage Door, The Affairs of Annabel, The Big Street

MGM Years: Best Foot Forward, Easy to Wed and Ziegfeld Follies

Freelance Years: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, Fuller Brush Girl, and Fancy Pants

Post TV: LOng, Long Trailer, Yours, Mine and Ours, and Mame

Of all the era I like the RKO Years the best. She was Queen of the Bs and got some meaty parts that were excellent.

RKO Years: Stage Door, The Affairs of Annabel, The Big Street

MGM Years: Best Foot Forward, Easy to Wed and Ziegfeld Follies

Freelance Years: Miss Grant Takes Richmond, Fuller Brush Girl, and Fancy Pants

Post TV: LOng, Long Trailer, Yours, Mine and Ours, and Mame

Of all the era I like the RKO Years the best. She was Queen of the Bs and got some meaty parts that were excellent.

But imagine how great she would have been in a few A pictures while at RKO. Of course, she did get a few of those, two you mentioned Big Street and Stage Door. Love all your choices although you say Ziegfeld Follies is one of her best at MGM, with only ONE number in the whole THIN. She did look incredible though.

Archived