Best and Worst Show Within a Show

Neil you came up with a good idea in your guest star thread about the shows within a show.

Here’s my breakdown of the best and worst for each series.

ILL

Best- 1920’s show in Ricky Loses His Voice

Worst-Not a fan of the school pageant in Little Ricky Get’s Stage Freight. More of a showcase for Little Ricky and the kids.

LDCH

Best- The Valentino number. All the little girls at the end are cute.

Worst- The end of the Bearle episode. Ugh.

LS

Best- Riverboat for the spectacular performance of Viv. Tied with the Boy Scout show with Ethel Merman. The highlight being Merman singing Everything’s Coming Up Roses from Gypsy.

Worst- The Tennessee Ernie episode. I’m not a country music fan so the down home feel was not my thing.

HL

Best-The one with Carol Burnett where they sang about all the old movies. I love the inside reference of the Greatest Show on Earth poster on the wall as Lucy dances next to the reason why she wasn’t in that movie.

Worst- Generation Gap. This is just too stupid. I unfortuenally had this one on when my husband was around once and being his first time seeing a Here’s Lucy episode he now thinks they all were like this.

ILL - Best -

Tie - "Y'all Come", really spirited delivery by the cast though a few unfortunate moments when they decide to throw in lame attempts at barnyard humor with Ethel imitating animals though it ends sensationally as Desi pounds away to a Cuban beat a fantastic mesh of country and another country - Cuba.

It's tied with - The Ethel Mae Potter and company, I just love Vivian's fey rendition of "Shortening Bread" followed by a quite beautiful performance of "My Hero".

Worst - I dislike the song and dance number with Lucy and Van Johnson, it's kind of smarmy and affected, or maybe it's just him.

I'll have to think over the HL and TLS show episodes for those which are best and worse, certainly not many standouts on HL.

I'm leaning toward the Boy Scouts Show as the best on TLS and I actually rather like the square dance number with Tennessee Ernie Ford and Miss Carole Cook and certainly Lucy appears to be having a ball. I read a few months ago in an interview of Lucy's in which she discussed her favorite things she mentioned square dancing which rather surprised me.

OMG that's one of my fave numbers of hers of all time!!! I've NEVER heard anyone "criticize" it before! I'm verklempt! :lucyshock:

I was torn with the Van Johnson dance if that was a musical performance or a show within a show. It’s his show at the hotel but we only get that number so I excluded that but it’s hands down my favorite musical performance.

Lucy and/or Desi, when talking about how different they were, used square dancing as an example. Lucy loved square dancing and Desi hated it.

I’m with him, hate square dancing. We had to do that stupid crap in gym class. I always complained that they should have taught us ballroom dancing as that is something that we at least could use in the future, if only for one dance at our weddings.

You know I got thinking. Lucy did soft shoe stuff a lot but I don’t think she did any out right tap dancing. Movies, TV series, TV Special, nothing is ringing a bell with me. There were other people in musical numbers with her that did, but not her. Can anyone recall any?

I’m with him, hate square dancing. We had to do that stupid crap in gym class. I always complained that they should have taught us ballroom dancing as that is something that we at least could use in the future, if only for one dance at our weddings.

You know I got thinking. Lucy did soft shoe stuff a lot but I don’t think she did any out right tap dancing. Movies, TV series, TV Special, nothing is ringing a bell with me. There were other people in musical numbers with her that did, but not her. Can anyone recall any?

I don't recall either, unless you count the brief number she did with "Bubbles" in my one-of-all-time-fave especially for a later TLS ep, Main Street USA! That would be considered tap, wouldn't it?

Just thinking about that particular show always puts a smile on my face!

Sorry but I think the Vancing with Dan Johnson one of the all time best numbers she ever did and in it, she got to prove that Lucy Ricardo DID have talent, I've seen it a thousand times and could watch it ten thousand more. I agree about the kids' pageant though, hate that one BIG TIME. As for the square dancing, I absolutely LOVE the one they did with the Borden twins, saw it yesterday. And one of the most charming things I've ever seen the Queen do, was that, square dancing, the one in London, not the one in Hollywood.

Sorry but I think the Vancing with Dan Johnson one of the all time best numbers she ever did and in it, she got to prove that Lucy Ricardo DID have talent, I've seen it a thousand times and could watch it ten thousand more. I agree about the kids' pageant though, hate that one BIG TIME. As for the square dancing, I absolutely LOVE the one they did with the Borden twins, saw it yesterday. And one of the most charming things I've ever seen the Queen do, was that, square dancing, the one in London, not the one in Hollywood.

I think the Van Johnson thing might have worked perfectly well on a variety show but to me it does not fit a sitcom episode. Lucy is perfect in it but she's really playing "Lucille Ball" here not "Lucy Ricardo" and it's a little jarring and I just don't think Van is very good in an Astairesque number, he comes across quite phony IMO.

Oh I forgot about the Tennessee episode one of my very favorites in the series particularly for the fabulous Borden Twins - certainly "Ricochet Romance" is the most delightful number in the series performed by guest stars. Love the square dance bit too at the end. Aaron Spelling is on this episode too from his actor days, wasn't one of the Bordens in the "allstar party" salute to him or just an audience guest? Would have been fun to see the girls recreate the number in later years.

TLDCH Worst: Mlton Berle. I hate that whole show what a waste of time. It is so dated and not that funny and that musical is so bizarre I hate it.

TLS Best: Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map

TLS Worst: Can't think of any

Here's Lucy Best: Lucy and Carol Burnett at the Movies

Worst: Generation Gap. What stupid lines, bizaree custumes. I am 26 and it is so dated and odd to watch like the writer was on LSD.

I do love Lucy and Van Johnson's classy dance, the square dance number is just plain fun though Lucy is mostly on the sidelines but enjoying her costars having a great time. I usually love Lucy's musical shows because I love all classic music but I don't like it if I know she was dubbed. Her great dancing makes her All Alone number great but I don't care for the Carol Burnett show fundraiser for the gym. because of that. We knew Lucy's voice so use it.

TLDCH Worst: Mlton Berle. I hate that whole show what a waste of time. It is so dated and not that funny and that musical is so bizarre I hate it.

TLS Best: Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map

TLS Worst: Can't think of any

Here's Lucy Best: Lucy and Carol Burnett at the Movies

Worst: Generation Gap. What stupid lines, bizaree custumes. I am 26 and it is so dated and odd to watch like the writer was on LSD.

I do love Lucy and Van Johnson's classy dance, the square dance number is just plain fun though Lucy is mostly on the sidelines but enjoying her costars having a great time. I usually love Lucy's musical shows because I love all classic music but I don't like it if I know she was dubbed. Her great dancing makes her All Alone number great but I don't care for the Carol Burnett show fundraiser for the gym. because of that. We knew Lucy's voice so use it.

Dunno if you haven`t seen that square dancing one in a while BECAUSE they ALL participate, Lucy is never on the sidelines.

I think the Van Johnson thing might have worked perfectly well on a variety show but to me it does not fit a sitcom episode. Lucy is perfect in it but she's really playing "Lucille Ball" here not "Lucy Ricardo" and it's a little jarring and I just don't think Van is very good in an Astairesque number, he comes across quite phony IMO.

Oh I forgot about the Tennessee episode one of my very favorites in the series particularly for the fabulous Borden Twins - certainly "Ricochet Romance" is the most delightful number in the series performed by guest stars. Love the square dance bit too at the end. Aaron Spelling is on this episode too from his actor days, wasn't one of the Bordens in the "allstar party" salute to him or just an audience guest? Would have been fun to see the girls recreate the number in later years.

Remember the other day, when I said you and I always agree, I take it back, I don`t know what you`ve got against Johnson and of course it would have been so much better with Astaire BUT, Lucy is NOT playing herself, and there is a great plotline for the whole show, Lucy Ricardo finally gets into show biz and I love it as one of my all time faves.

These ones I choose are not from the quality aspect but the sentimental value.

ILL:

Best: Were Having a Baby: Do I even have to explain? My all time favorite scene in all of I Love Lucy.

Worst: ummmm... I'll get back to you on this. :)

TLDCH:

Best: That Means I Love You. The most loving and sexy thing to ever watch for Lucy and Desi. Their passion and love for each other ooze during this number. Plus it's just a cute love song.

Worst: Do I even have to say it? Bearle.

TLS:

Best: TIE: My Trousseau Just Lies on the Shelf and Up a Lazy River with Carol Burnett. That first one does seem like a weird decision but anytime I watch it I repeat it over and over. For laughter, how great Lucy looks, and how fun of a song it is. Lazy River because I use to watch this scene on repeat as a kid. I knew the dance moves and everything. Very sentimental. Honorable mention has to be Steamboat Bessie and the Ethel Merman show.

Worst: Lemme sleep on it! I'll be back! Haha.

HL:

Best: Fever. I know this isn't Lucy but as soon as I saw this performance I realized how much talent Lucie had. Oh my goodness. Absolutely wonderful. Also Lucy and Viv on the Hawaiian Cruise was a nice treat!

Worst: That Tennessee Ernie one. That was suppose to be a commercial but was basically longer than The Sound of Music. :/ But Generation Gap was pretty bad.

Greatest of all Lucy productions though?

Lucy in London! :D Not only the title song but the last One Day in London performance. Best ever.

These ones I choose are not from the quality aspect but the sentimental value.

ILL:

Best: Were Having a Baby: Do I even have to explain? My all time favorite scene in all of I Love Lucy.

Worst: ummmm... I'll get back to you on this. :)

TLDCH:

Best: That Means I Love You. The most loving and sexy thing to ever watch for Lucy and Desi. Their passion and love for each other ooze during this number. Plus it's just a cute love song.

Worst: Do I even have to say it? Bearle.

TLS:

Best: TIE: My Trousseau Just Lies on the Shelf and Up a Lazy River with Carol Burnett. That first one does seem like a weird decision but anytime I watch it I repeat it over and over. For laughter, how great Lucy looks, and how fun of a song it is. Lazy River because I use to watch this scene on repeat as a kid. I knew the dance moves and everything. Very sentimental. Honorable mention has to be Steamboat Bessie and the Ethel Merman show.

Worst: Lemme sleep on it! I'll be back! Haha.

HL:

Best: Fever. I know this isn't Lucy but as soon as I saw this performance I realized how much talent Lucie had. Oh my goodness. Absolutely wonderful. Also Lucy and Viv on the Hawaiian Cruise was a nice treat!

Worst: That Tennessee Ernie one. That was suppose to be a commercial but was basically longer than The Sound of Music. :/ But Generation Gap was pretty bad.

Greatest of all Lucy productions though?

Lucy in London! :D Not only the title song but the last One Day in London performance. Best ever.

As a very old man, I just find it so hard to understand why none of your YOUNGINS ever like Milton B E R L E, he was Lucy's equivalent on the male side and was known as MR Television for decades. Watch his Lucy show with the salad dressing dripping on his head and tell me he's not funny.

Annaleigh you have some good picks in there. The LS Wingding show was just all kinds of trippy, crazy fun. I like how Lucy sits on the stool with her long wig and long legs, really cute.

I’m also in for that Palm Springs Carol Burnett one. I love how the hotel manager is just waiting for Lucy to do something. That pink dress she wears in the final number sure went through a lot of incarnations. Anytime Lucy preforms with Carol she just has this wonderful glow. You can tell how much fun those 2 are having.

In reference to the HL Fever number have you seen Jim and Lucie’s performance of it from when they reunited in Jamestown? It’s on Youtube. I think they did it even better the second time.

Best from another series/special- Tied for first place the following two:

Ann Margret Show- Autograph Ann and Celebrity Lou. Wonderful energy, really cute costumes, wonderful dancing and the talents are a great match. I like that they even do a little encore of this. I enjoy hearing all the names they read off and laugh when they do Liz Taylor knowing there were more names to come.

Carol Plus 2- Hutzpaugh (or how ever Lucy spells it to Carol). Like I said above these 2 together is magic and given this is the first thing they did together, brilliant. Wonderful energy level again and I didn’t want it to end

As a very old man, I just find it so hard to understand why none of your YOUNGINS ever like Milton B E R L E, he was Lucy's equivalent on the male side and was known as MR Television for decades. Watch his Lucy show with the salad dressing dripping on his head and tell me he's not funny.

I don't think its Berle per se but you must admit that hour-long with him guesting is one of the weakest of the "bakers dozen"! I mean, it was "wrong" on so many levels: no live audience/laugh-track cranked up to overdrive, the clunky scene with the construction bucket hoist thingy and to top it all off, that weird, not funny, not much of anything production number for a finale -- you're right, TLS with the Caesar Salad finish was hysterical but this LCDH was ill-conceived from start to finish! :lucydisgust:

I don't think its Berle per se but you must admit that hour-long with him guesting is one of the weakest of the "bakers dozen"! I mean, it was "wrong" on so many levels: no live audience/laugh-track cranked up to overdrive, the clunky scene with the construction bucket hoist thingy and to top it all off, that weird, not funny, not much of anything production number for a finale -- you're right, TLS with the Caesar Salad finish was hysterical but this LCDH was ill-conceived from start to finish! :lucydisgust:

Yes, I agree with that, I was referring to most people here hating him or thinking he had no talent at all. You know what I hated the most from the BERLE ep was the fake cars seen from high up scenes, I've never seen anything so fake and badly done. I know Desi was thrilled he got so much STOCK FOOTAGE to use on any of his Desilu shows when he bought RKO, but if it was all like this, he should have asked for a rebate on the purchase price of the studio.

Well I was among them until I saw some of his old 50's shows on one of those allstar public domain collections of old tv. He was really cutting edge on his own show with quite racy humor for 50's tv, directly "insulting" people in his audience for a joke, etc. Love the episodes with Carol Channing and Dagmar and that little character actress regular on his show Ruth Gilbert was hilarious, I wouldn't put her much behind Vivian as a great second banana. Trouble is people don't know the "vintage" Milton Berle today but remember the "old" Milton Berle, the one who used to bitch about contemporary tv, be hammy and sentimental in his post-1960 work like his notoriously bad Saturday Night Live appearance, feud with RuPaul or anyone else he clashed with,

toot his own horn non-stop as "Mr Television", et al., just not an appealing personality at all.

And back to Van Johnson, well keep in mind this is to me the "worst" of ILL - which of course is not bad at all IMO, I enjoy each and every episode. Yes I know Lucy was "Lucy Ricardo" in the early parts but she changed into "great star Lucille Ball" for the number just as she would had this been a Bob Hope special or whatever.Not a bad thing but not want I want on ILL. As far as Johnson, well I just find him one of the least appealing major male movie stars, I mean here he is at 40 or so and kind of a aged boy-next-door personality rather than a dashing heartthrob like say a Robert Taylor.

Am so-so about "Nobody Loves the Ump". It should be funnier than it is, but the main reason it bugs me is that they break character and refer to things the Club Babalu audience would know nothing about : "I'm sorry I gave you that lump" and Hope's "I may never go back to NBC" letting us know he's on CBS for the evening. Agree about the Berle show. With an audience the Mildred scene would have been hysterical. The cement bucket scene makes no sense. The operator needs hand signals or he's not going to help them when they're in trouble? In the OLD days, we didn't notice the suspension wires and the fact that they were using doubles. Maybe our old TVs weren't so crisp. Berle is fine but the whole Western Craze skit is pure padding. Notice Lucy's the only one that does NOT have a solo.

Even though it's Kathy Williams sickeningly-sweet with its out-dated, even for 1967, portrayal of small town America with pickle barrels and Johnson Wax-ed streets, there's a certain Music Man charm in "Main Street" and it's done towards the tail end of Lucy being up to it vocally. (Catch her "A" in the "Main Street US---" that precedes "hey by the way are ya wishin'..) Mel Torme for all his stubby nauseatiosity (a word MY grandmother made up) wrote a pretty catchy tune...But the 2nd part of the two-parter was too much of a good thing.

Nertz to any musical segment where she's dubbed so that eliminates some otherwise good performances: "All Alone" with its mystery ghost singer and never-ending followup dance to-what else?- "I Know a Place", Andrews Sisters medley, Carol Burnett and the Gym Musical (don't get me STARTED!!), and Carole Cook-voiced Big Spender on Jack Benny's special. Didn't they watch "Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing"? Just because you look like Lucy doesn't mean you can SOUND like her. Who does Carole think she is? Agnes Schmidlapp??

Unfortunately two of Lucy's greatest musical performances on television were only seen once: "The Steve Lawrence Show" and "The Good Years". There are many who have seen the bootleg kinescope of "Steve" and I tell them, yes she's fabulous in that but she's EVEN BETTER in "Years".

The show within a show episodes are some of my favorites. I'm only counting here full show within a show episodes and not individual musical numbers.

I Love Lucy

Favorite: Ricky Loses His Voice. The flappers add so much comedy to this show! I love to watch Hazel throughout this show. Desi's "Sweet and Lovely" is one of my favorite numbers he performs on the series. I know I'm in the minority, but i love Mertz and Kurtz too.

Least favorite: Lucy Goes to a Rodeo. Doye O'Dell's song has to be the dullest moment in I Love Lucy history.

The Lucy Show

Favorite: Tie between Ethel Merman and the Boy Scout Show & Lucy and Arthur Godfrey. Both of them are absolutely perfect and show off Lucy, Gale, and Vivian so well. The Boy Scout show is probably the most believable of the musical shows done on the series. Merman is spectacular doing "Everything's Coming Up Roses." Lucy and Arthur Godfrey contains some of Vivian's best work ever as Steamboat Bessie. Lucy sounds great here too!

Least favorite: Lucy Helps Ken Berry. This might be The Lucy Show episode I've seen the least.

Here's Lucy

Favorite: Lucy and Carol Burnett (Hollywood Unemployment Follies). I know many of the Here's Lucy musical shows aren't that popular, but I love most of them. It was tough to choose a favorite. I'm going to go with the third season Carol Burnett episode. It's always great to see Lucy and Carol together. Lucy's dubbed for part of the episode, but it doesn't bother me here. I love Lucy's Marlene Dietrich impression and Lucie's Mr. Bojangles number.

Least favorite: Lucy and Tennessee Ernie's Fun Farm. I'm glad Bob O'Brien took a long break from writing for Lucy after the one-two punch of this episode and Lucy's Safari. I don't know how worse he could do.

I think The Dancing Star contains Lucy's best performance ever as the Lucy character.

Neil, I agree that Lucy's musical numbers in The Good Years are among the best she ever did.

Well I was among them until I saw some of his old 50's shows on one of those allstar public domain collections of old tv. He was really cutting edge on his own show with quite racy humor for 50's tv, directly "insulting" people in his audience for a joke, etc. Love the episodes with Carol Channing and Dagmar and that little character actress regular on his show Ruth Gilbert was hilarious, I wouldn't put her much behind Vivian as a great second banana. Trouble is people don't know the "vintage" Milton Berle today but remember the "old" Milton Berle, the one who used to bitch about contemporary tv, be hammy and sentimental in his post-1960 work like his notoriously bad Saturday Night Live appearance, feud with RuPaul or anyone else he clashed with,

toot his own horn non-stop as "Mr Television", et al., just not an appealing personality at all.

And back to Van Johnson, well keep in mind this is to me the "worst" of ILL - which of course is not bad at all IMO, I enjoy each and every episode. Yes I know Lucy was "Lucy Ricardo" in the early parts but she changed into "great star Lucille Ball" for the number just as she would had this been a Bob Hope special or whatever.Not a bad thing but not want I want on ILL. As far as Johnson, well I just find him one of the least appealing major male movie stars, I mean here he is at 40 or so and kind of a aged boy-next-door personality rather than a dashing heartthrob like say a Robert Taylor.

Very good info on Berle, and so true also. As i'm watching the Hollywood eps right now, i'll be seeing that Vancing with Dan Johnson very soon and it's only when you posted your comment that I realized, you're so right, Fred Astaire should have been picked to dance with her instead, they finally would have worked together on tv. Back to Lucy in Hollywood, it was there that Lucy Ricardo became this sophisticated lady instead of the nutty housewife I think, that's why you say she's being Lucille Ball, no I think she's just making the character more modern and sophisticated, IMO of course.

Am so-so about "Nobody Loves the Ump". It should be funnier than it is, but the main reason it bugs me is that they break character and refer to things the Club Babalu audience would know nothing about : "I'm sorry I gave you that lump" and Hope's "I may never go back to NBC" letting us know he's on CBS for the evening. Agree about the Berle show. With an audience the Mildred scene would have been hysterical. The cement bucket scene makes no sense. The operator needs hand signals or he's not going to help them when they're in trouble? In the OLD days, we didn't notice the suspension wires and the fact that they were using doubles. Maybe our old TVs weren't so crisp. Berle is fine but the whole Western Craze skit is pure padding. Notice Lucy's the only one that does NOT have a solo.

Even though it's Kathy Williams sickeningly-sweet with its out-dated, even for 1967, portrayal of small town America with pickle barrels and Johnson Wax-ed streets, there's a certain Music Man charm in "Main Street" and it's done towards the tail end of Lucy being up to it vocally. (Catch her "A" in the "Main Street US---" that precedes "hey by the way are ya wishin'..) Mel Torme for all his stubby nauseatiosity (a word MY grandmother made up) wrote a pretty catchy tune...But the 2nd part of the two-parter was too much of a good thing.

Nertz to any musical segment where she's dubbed so that eliminates some otherwise good performances: "All Alone" with its mystery ghost singer and never-ending followup dance to-what else?- "I Know a Place", Andrews Sisters medley, Carol Burnett and the Gym Musical (don't get me STARTED!!), and Carole Cook-voiced Big Spender on Jack Benny's special. Didn't they watch "Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing"? Just because you look like Lucy doesn't mean you can SOUND like her. Who does Carole think she is? Agnes Schmidlapp??

Unfortunately two of Lucy's greatest musical performances on television were only seen once: "The Steve Lawrence Show" and "The Good Years". There are many who have seen the bootleg kinescope of "Steve" and I tell them, yes she's fabulous in that but she's EVEN BETTER in "Years".

I used to think that too about Hope, then I thought, well, he means instead of the babalu club, he'll be heading back to NBC, not necessarily leaving CBS to go to NBC. Of course I have one of Lucy's greatest guest shots ever, she surely would have won an Emmy for that one had the GUEST STAR ONES existed back then, on the Steve Lawrence show premiere and i'm willing to pay you anything you want for a copy of The Good Years, contact me please. MONEY IS NO OBJECT! I was 11 when it played so I have no recollection of it at all.

The show within a show episodes are some of my favorites. I'm only counting here full show within a show episodes and not individual musical numbers.

I Love Lucy

Favorite: Ricky Loses His Voice. The flappers add so much comedy to this show! I love to watch Hazel throughout this show. Desi's "Sweet and Lovely" is one of my favorite numbers he performs on the series. I know I'm in the minority, but i love Mertz and Kurtz too.

Least favorite: Lucy Goes to a Rodeo. Doye O'Dell's song has to be the dullest moment in I Love Lucy history.

The Lucy Show

Favorite: Tie between Ethel Merman and the Boy Scout Show & Lucy and Arthur Godfrey. Both of them are absolutely perfect and show off Lucy, Gale, and Vivian so well. The Boy Scout show is probably the most believable of the musical shows done on the series. Merman is spectacular doing "Everything's Coming Up Roses." Lucy and Arthur Godfrey contains some of Vivian's best work ever as Steamboat Bessie. Lucy sounds great here too!

Least favorite: Lucy Helps Ken Berry. This might be The Lucy Show episode I've seen the least.

Here's Lucy

Favorite: Lucy and Carol Burnett (Hollywood Unemployment Follies). I know many of the Here's Lucy musical shows aren't that popular, but I love most of them. It was tough to choose a favorite. I'm going to go with the third season Carol Burnett episode. It's always great to see Lucy and Carol together. Lucy's dubbed for part of the episode, but it doesn't bother me here. I love Lucy's Marlene Dietrich impression and Lucie's Mr. Bojangles number.

Least favorite: Lucy and Tennessee Ernie's Fun Farm. I'm glad Bob O'Brien took a long break from writing for Lucy after the one-two punch of this episode and Lucy's Safari. I don't know how worse he could do.

I think The Dancing Star contains Lucy's best performance ever as the Lucy character.

Neil, I agree that Lucy's musical numbers in The Good Years are among the best she ever did.

Trust me, after 60 years, Mertz and Kurtz is no longer a hated ep at my house. That musical number at the beach is excellent and I now LOVE it. As I've said a thousand times, I just hated all the musical numbers on my favorite comedy show BACK when I was a kid but now as an old geezer they've grown on me and I LOVE them. I also think they went schmaltzy for Kurtz, wanting a sweet ep, grandfather and son reuniting, everybody pretending they're more rich or famous than they really are and then the truth comes out, love it. And Lucy as the maid was terrific, as always.

Archived