Best and Worst Show Within a Show

As a very old man, I just find it so hard to understand why none of your YOUNGINS ever like Milton B E R L E, he was Lucy's equivalent on the male side and was known as MR Television for decades. Watch his Lucy show with the salad dressing dripping on his head and tell me he's not funny.

I love that episode of TLS, best of season 6. But the musical number in LDCH was just ridiculous. The best part of that episode is Mildred! Otherwise it drags to me.

Also I forgot about 'Poor Us' from the Alaska episode of LDCH, I adore that one!

Also Shelly I love the Ann Margaret special and the Carol +2! Those have to be my favorites from another star's special. I might have to watch those two tonight! But strictly a Lucy special it would have to be the two of the Lucy in London special. I also did check out the Lucie and Jim reunion one! They sounded fabulous! I didn't know about that until I finally saw the episode when the DVD came out.

I like most all SWS on ILL but you can keep the rodeo... I love good musical numbers anyway so these moments dont bother me... Steamboat Bessie is great but you can keep that Lazy River sung by that dreadful guest star with her slick son who rented a room while Viv moved out in a huff.... And what can I.say.about HL?? My hands down favorite is Hot.Ginger and Dynamite... A runner up would be Lucy, Lucie and Wayne with Desi 4 on drums.... Also Carole and Lucy/Carole doing their duet endig in big hats.... I hate Generaton Gap sooo much... flames .. FLAMES... on the side of my Face... Breathless....Heaving breaths...heaving... Yu get the point... Poor Us is great Milton's not so much....honestly what were they doing with that?

I will probably get kicked outta this club but Lucille did a terrible off key Marlene impression.....

Will I ever get to.see The.Good Years on dvd? Why didn't it accompany a LS dvd?

I think "Good Years" deserves a release, if for nothing else a bit of a history lesson, lots of historical footage and re-enactments from those supposedly "good" years 1900 to 1914. I don't know why 1900, but 1914 was when WW 1 ("The Great War") started up in Europe, which I guess ended the good. Did you know the US involvement in it was only 19 months? April 1917 to Nov 1918.

My favorite Lucy SWS musical numbers (within the series' themselves)

Cuban Pete/Sally Sweet, Vancing with Dan, Poor Us, Arthur Godfrey, Ethel Merman Boy Scout Show, Wingding, Gun Moll's "My Heart Belongs", Some of These Days with Burns, Mainstreet....I think then I have to skip all the way to the Hawaiian Cruise with Viv, then Making Whoopee with Eddie Albert.

Favorite Lucy musical moments outside series: GY and Steve Lawrence already mentioned, Like Hep, Pearl Bailey Military march, Bouncing Back with Shirley, then that last great hurrah "Comedy Ain't No Joke". (seems like there's one I'm leaving out...)

LS Ken Berry and Frankie Avalon episodes- Both suffer from the same problem, way too much of the guest star doing too much other their crap and far too little of Lucy.

Lucy in London- The final spotlight number with Lucy is marvelous but thank god for fast forward. I always refer to this part of the special as the Anthony Newley show and always speed through it. The title song “music video” is so trippy it’s great and the Pop Goes the Weasel/London Bridge song also has that sort of trippy vibe to it as well.

Other shows

My thoughts on numbers mentioned:

Hey Big Spender-I always thought Lucy was a good lip-syncher especially having to do it so much in her early movies and because of that I can see past the singing voice not matching anything close to her speaking voice. What bugs me about this number is the lip synch is just not good. It matches but it seems so forced, like she is trying to over enunciate all the words.

Good Years- I’m with Claude. I would pay to have a copy of this thing. It seems like the illusive Lucy related special that no one has. The Life pictures from it make it look like it was a lot of fun and something different. Jimmy told me once that this can be viewed at the Paley Center in the library area. Next time I’m in NYC I need to make some time to go see this as I don’t think I’ll be getting a copy anytime soon.

Steve Lawrence- I’ve seen this number and it is the best “Hey Look Me Over” I’ve ever seen Lucy do. She sounds good, dances wonderfully with Steve in the duet and looks fantastic in what seems to be the outfit of choice in the 60’s/70’s the tuxedo jacket, tights, and heels. I really dig the no pants outfits. Her legs were fantastic.

Numbers from other shows not mentioned in other posts:

Danny Kaye Show- “You’re Just in Love”. Lucy does these quick bits as leading ladies in their own TV specials and imitates Judy, Carol Channing and finishes dueting with Danny on this song. Danny is hilarious as Frank/Dean who is increasingly drunker every time Lucy throws the show back to him. Among her 2 times guesting on his show there are other numbers but this is my fav.

Jack Benny-“Man Around the House”- Only part of this number made it to the HL extras. The other half is Lucy in the haram costume doing a song to the tune of Mame, pre-movie Mame. I think her own singing in this is good.

Donnie and Marie-Leading Lady number with all the mirrors.

Wonderful World of Burlesque- Lucy as the butterfly over the audience.

I like most all SWS on ILL but you can keep the rodeo... I love good musical numbers anyway so these moments dont bother me... Steamboat Bessie is great but you can keep that Lazy River sung by that dreadful guest star with her slick son who rented a room while Viv moved out in a huff.... And what can I.say.about HL?? My hands down favorite is Hot.Ginger and Dynamite... A runner up would be Lucy, Lucie and Wayne with Desi 4 on drums.... Also Carole and Lucy/Carole doing their duet endig in big hats.... I hate Generaton Gap sooo much... flames .. FLAMES... on the side of my Face... Breathless....Heaving breaths...heaving... Yu get the point... Poor Us is great Milton's not so much....honestly what were they doing with that?

I will probably get kicked outta this club but Lucille did a terrible off key Marlene impression.....

Will I ever get to.see The.Good Years on dvd? Why didn't it accompany a LS dvd?

The original Marlene version wasn't so great either you know!

I think "Good Years" deserves a release, if for nothing else a bit of a history lesson, lots of historical footage and re-enactments from those supposedly "good" years 1900 to 1914. I don't know why 1900, but 1914 was when WW 1 ("The Great War") started up in Europe, which I guess ended the good. Did you know the US involvement in it was only 19 months? April 1917 to Nov 1918.

My favorite Lucy SWS musical numbers (within the series' themselves)

Cuban Pete/Sally Sweet, Vancing with Dan, Poor Us, Arthur Godfrey, Ethel Merman Boy Scout Show, Wingding, Gun Moll's "My Heart Belongs", Some of These Days with Burns, Mainstreet....I think then I have to skip all the way to the Hawaiian Cruise with Viv, then Making Whoopee with Eddie Albert.

Favorite Lucy musical moments outside series: GY and Steve Lawrence already mentioned, Like Hep, Pearl Bailey Military march, Bouncing Back with Shirley, then that last great hurrah "Comedy Ain't No Joke". (seems like there's one I'm leaving out...)

OH YES! Nobody mentioned the great Shirley MacLaine special and Lucy's great numbers in that, also the Gene Kelly special where Lucy and Gene did another version of FRIENDSHIP!

LS Ken Berry and Frankie Avalon episodes- Both suffer from the same problem, way too much of the guest star doing too much other their crap and far too little of Lucy.

Lucy in London- The final spotlight number with Lucy is marvelous but thank god for fast forward. I always refer to this part of the special as the Anthony Newley show and always speed through it. The title song “music video” is so trippy it’s great and the Pop Goes the Weasel/London Bridge song also has that sort of trippy vibe to it as well.

Other shows

My thoughts on numbers mentioned:

Hey Big Spender-I always thought Lucy was a good lip-syncher especially having to do it so much in her early movies and because of that I can see past the singing voice not matching anything close to her speaking voice. What bugs me about this number is the lip synch is just not good. It matches but it seems so forced, like she is trying to over enunciate all the words.

Good Years- I’m with Claude. I would pay to have a copy of this thing. It seems like the illusive Lucy related special that no one has. The Life pictures from it make it look like it was a lot of fun and something different. Jimmy told me once that this can be viewed at the Paley Center in the library area. Next time I’m in NYC I need to make some time to go see this as I don’t think I’ll be getting a copy anytime soon.

Steve Lawrence- I’ve seen this number and it is the best “Hey Look Me Over” I’ve ever seen Lucy do. She sounds good, dances wonderfully with Steve in the duet and looks fantastic in what seems to be the outfit of choice in the 60’s/70’s the tuxedo jacket, tights, and heels. I really dig the no pants outfits. Her legs were fantastic.

Numbers from other shows not mentioned in other posts:

Danny Kaye Show- “You’re Just in Love”. Lucy does these quick bits as leading ladies in their own TV specials and imitates Judy, Carol Channing and finishes dueting with Danny on this song. Danny is hilarious as Frank/Dean who is increasingly drunker every time Lucy throws the show back to him. Among her 2 times guesting on his show there are other numbers but this is my fav.

Jack Benny-“Man Around the House”- Only part of this number made it to the HL extras. The other half is Lucy in the haram costume doing a song to the tune of Mame, pre-movie Mame. I think her own singing in this is good.

Donnie and Marie-Leading Lady number with all the mirrors.

Wonderful World of Burlesque- Lucy as the butterfly over the audience.

You got some doozies in there, the Lady was all over the tube, not enough doing her shows, she had to guest on everybody else's too. How about the Dean Martin show, her appearance on that should also have been a special feature add on when The Lucy show was put out on dvd.

I new there were a few I left out.

"Man Around the House/Cleo-Mame" Lucy never sounded better than she did in "Man" and she looked great too---always preferred the Ricardo-esque bun. Ironic that this same year she opted for a ghost singer for HL's "All Alone". She has little singing to do in the Cleo-Mame part except to repeat "Clee-o" ala Mame. Frankly she hits a clinker or two.

The vaudeville medley with Dean martin and Kate Smith. Also "Danny Thomas Burlesque", though she does no singing. These two were the same season as "Steve Lawrence" and **my goodness!!** she's showing as much shapely leg as the censors would allow; with skimpy outfits cut so high that the bare skin at the top of her leg no longer qualifies as leg!!!

Her "Leading Ladies" turn on Donny and Marie. Sounds OK with background singers filling in. (Shades of "operetta") but what is really remarkable are those leggy high kicks, done with such grace, poise and coordination--which would have been difficult for someone half her age to pull off.

Autograph Ann-Margaret and Celebrity Lu, too.

I wonder who owns "Good Years".

I really like when she flies.over the audience an does.her flips...just great!!!! (in the burlesque number)... In fact that whole routine is wunnerful.... Would.be.great to see all of.that special tho...especially "I am Tondalaylo...Dont call him Fropingham... call him Frop.... Him not.half the man him used to be."

Archived