Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The three color I Love Lucy shows have been around for a few years. But this will be the first time they have been together on one disc. Lucy's Italitan Movie in color was only available on the Time Life I Love Lucy dvd set that was sold on Time Life.com Now it will be available at regular retail stores and online stores. If sales of the new dvd are good maybe CBS will bring us more I Love Lucy shows in color. Only time will tell.

31163_103894552989775_8309983_n.jpg

254616_224967560882473_1498470_n.jpg

39129_125369960842234_2280573_n.jpg

39129_125370014175562_6214761_n.jpg

You're still not helping your own argument and now are compounding with confusion by including screen gabs of footage actually originally shot in color -- in crude, amateur form but still -- stacked directly against other screengrabs featuring badly colorized scenes from familiar episodes -- and if the "four Santas" one is one you're using as a "selling point" I think quite the opposite results from its inclusion: In my opinion, it looks downright horrible! The faces are "off"/ashen looking, looks totally unnatural and even the background of the kitchen cabinets looks like crap -- what color is that supposed to be, mustard yellow?? I sincerely doubt the Ricardo kitchen was EVER anything akin to that computerized "color". :lucydisgust:

Keep 'em coming: your "samples" make a stronger argument against this idiotic endeavor than anything I could begin to express in words! :lucyhaha:

Okay....have it your way:

Below: "REAL" color (at least as it's survived nearly 60 years later, as Kodak film "turns" (sure there's a technical photographic term for it but I don't know what it is!) reds, etc. fade into a purplish/magenta color while other colors just ...fade):

156822_159084754137421_6618690_n.jpg

While this other photo you provided from the same era somehow seems to have survived and renders a more "accurate" representation of the time; however please note how garish, exaggerated it is not, thus I *believe* (but not 100% sure) is an original color shot and not an example of colorization (in still form):

156769_159084564137440_2935017_n.jpg

And then....for some reason, proponents of this seem to prefer the original presentation bastardized from the above into this monstrosity:

539684_575179229194636_1633436465_n.jpg

I mean....really?? Turquoise drapes??! Viv's "magenta" dress??! Those walls!! YUK! Just so it'll "look purty" to you guys?? I just don't get it! :lucyshock:

When film was in it's prime there were many kinds made that render colors very differently, Kodachrome is an example. Not all what you see in these color images may be 100% accurate based on film stock.

In the digital age you can get these same film looks with PhotoShop filter programs. We love to run our photos through these different film stocks to see what happens. A purple scarf I was wearing game out blue in one and green in another.

IN the 80s, The Munsters series was revived for syndication and lasted a season or two. I never saw it, but evidently it was later included with the original Munsters in a syndication package; and the 80s version was DE-colorized, mono-chromed to match the first series, instead of the other way around.

I remember when they first started colorizing films, they had a real hard time with blacks. Instead of having a dark black suit jacket, they had to put some color in it, usually green.

In an effort to make them viable syndicated shows, I believe both "McHale's Navy" and "real McCoys" were colorized. I don't think it helped but I don't know if it was the colorization or the fact that both shows had been forgotten. "McCoys" was a huge hit for ABC for 5 years (57-62), ABC's first sitcom hit, then CBS snatched it, killed off Kathleen Nolan, put it opposite "Bonanza" and cancelled it, but ran it in the morning for 4 years right after I Love Lucy. "McHale" was also ABC, never a ratings giant, but well regarded enough to be one of the three nominees for "Best Achievement in Humor" its first season (1962-3) and one of 5 for "best Comedy Series" in 63-64, quite an achievement for what is essentially a "wacky" comedy, a sitcom type usually ignored by the emmys.

OY VEY! I just caught up.

Look, I've written my blog, I've said my peace. Enough is enough. I won't be buying this disc not because of the old colorization but because there's no need for me to. I already have all that's on it if I so get the urge plus I don't endorse it. Let's give it a rest!

Just dun't discourage anybody else who might want to buy it though.

Right? It's not like there's really anything new about this release, it's just compiling three things that have been available separately for a while now. I've seen 'em all so this will be the first Lucy release I skip.

Cheapskate, you're our own official Fred Mertz now. LOL!

The top shot is real color. The bottom is from the colorized episode. See the difference?

Nah, old eyes, they look the same to me, LOL! For corn sakes, please get it through your black and white noggins, I dun't give a hoot what the color looks like, I just want them in C O L O R period. Just different from that old black and white. Something that can keep them interesting after a thousand viewings, capice?

The three color I Love Lucy shows have been around for a few years. But this will be the first time they have been together on one disc. Lucy's Italitan Movie in color was only available on the Time Life I Love Lucy dvd set that was sold on Time Life.com Now it will be available at regular retail stores and online stores. If sales of the new dvd are good maybe CBS will bring us more I Love Lucy shows in color. Only time will tell.

Thank you! I never got that Time Life thing, so I will NOW finally be able to get them all together as you said.

Archived