Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

You're still not helping your own argument and now are compounding with confusion by including screen gabs of footage actually originally shot in color -- in crude, amateur form but still -- stacked directly against other screengrabs featuring badly colorized scenes from familiar episodes -- and if the "four Santas" one is one you're using as a "selling point" I think quite the opposite results from its inclusion: In my opinion, it looks downright horrible! The faces are "off"/ashen looking, looks totally unnatural and even the background of the kitchen cabinets looks like crap -- what color is that supposed to be, mustard yellow?? I sincerely doubt the Ricardo kitchen was EVER anything akin to that computerized "color". :lucydisgust:

Keep 'em coming: your "samples" make a stronger argument against this idiotic endeavor than anything I could begin to express in words! :lucyhaha:

Oh shut your yap and get with the times man!

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay....have it your way:

Below: "REAL" color (at least as it's survived nearly 60 years later, as Kodak film "turns" (sure there's a technical photographic term for it but I don't know what it is!) reds, etc. fade into a purplish/magenta color while other colors just ...fade):

156822_159084754137421_6618690_n.jpg

While this other photo you provided from the same era somehow seems to have survived and renders a more "accurate" representation of the time; however please note how garish, exaggerated it is not, thus I *believe* (but not 100% sure) is an original color shot and not an example of colorization (in still form):

156769_159084564137440_2935017_n.jpg

And then....for some reason, proponents of this seem to prefer the original presentation bastardized from the above into this monstrosity:

539684_575179229194636_1633436465_n.jpg

I mean....really?? Turquoise drapes??! Viv's "magenta" dress??! Those walls!! YUK! Just so it'll "look purty" to you guys?? I just don't get it! :lucyshock:

Looks fine to me as it is different from the same old tired images we've looked at for sixty years and the show is F I N A L Y in friggin C O L O R !

When film was in it's prime there were many kinds made that render colors very differently, Kodachrome is an example. Not all what you see in these color images may be 100% accurate based on film stock.

In the digital age you can get these same film looks with PhotoShop filter programs. We love to run our photos through these different film stocks to see what happens. A purple scarf I was wearing game out blue in one and green in another.

When I go through my pictures here at home, I dread seeing those awful POLAROID pictures, which have darkened to the point where they all look they were taken in Harlem one dark and stormy night.

IN the 80s, The Munsters series was revived for syndication and lasted a season or two. I never saw it, but evidently it was later included with the original Munsters in a syndication package; and the 80s version was DE-colorized, mono-chromed to match the first series, instead of the other way around.

I remember when they first started colorizing films, they had a real hard time with blacks. Instead of having a dark black suit jacket, they had to put some color in it, usually green.

In an effort to make them viable syndicated shows, I believe both "McHale's Navy" and "real McCoys" were colorized. I don't think it helped but I don't know if it was the colorization or the fact that both shows had been forgotten. "McCoys" was a huge hit for ABC for 5 years (57-62), ABC's first sitcom hit, then CBS snatched it, killed off Kathleen Nolan, put it opposite "Bonanza" and cancelled it, but ran it in the morning for 4 years right after I Love Lucy. "McHale" was also ABC, never a ratings giant, but well regarded enough to be one of the three nominees for "Best Achievement in Humor" its first season (1962-3) and one of 5 for "best Comedy Series" in 63-64, quite an achievement for what is essentially a "wacky" comedy, a sitcom type usually ignored by the emmys.

Now you see, The Munsters, I would NEVER have colorized, it's supposed to be spooky so black and white suited it perfectly. Now Beverly Hillbillies I was thrilled to finally see in COLOR as Beverly Hills and that mansion was so beautiful in color, didn't matter about the characters, they were dressed as hicks, so one does not care what color overalls are.

Something else just came to mind, which makes me want to believe that CBS has a trick up their sleeve. As I was watching certain parts of the colorized Christmas Show last night, I noticed that it wasn't remastered, and probably wasn't taken from the original negative. From the information I was given, they want to replace the flashbacks with the newley rastered ones, in place of the old ones. If they're doing that, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the original black and white version of the Christmas Show (on the Season Six DVD), which is already remastered, and colorize it again? I compared the Black and white version, to the colorized version, and the picture on the black and white version is so crisp, clean and clear. It wouldn't make any sense if they tried to remaster and clean up the already previously colorized one, and expect them to get better pitcure quailty. I have a funny feeling, and a sneaking suspicion that they're wilthholding information, and holding out on us. The suspense and anticipation is killing me! LOL! :);)

I was told that it was all about improving the picture quality, and they wanted to dliver the best! I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I think they should re-colorize the black and white version, that's already been remastered for the Season Six DVD, rather than try to do something with the one that's already colorized. I know the picture qulaity would surpass the previously relased colorized version, even if they did remaster it. We'll just have to wait and see. I wish fans had input. I know, I'm obsessed, and this has become an obsession with me. I'm so fixated on this. I'm probably getting all worked-up, and upset over nothing. Time will tell, right? I wish they'd give us a teaser advertisement or someting, even a video, picture(s) ad of some sort. The DVD release and the broadcast will be here before we know it. The way time flies, it'll be here in not time at all. I know a lot of times, DVD specs are kept secret, and under wraps. Let's just hope that this is true. Thank you, everybody for listening to me going on and on! :);)

I remember the thrill I felt when I saw those color shots the very first time, it was so different and so pleasant to see it all in a different light for a change.

I remember that feeling, too!! I got my first real glimpse of Lucy in color on the Complete Series DVD set. The montage of Desi singing the theme song, and Lucy waltzing into the living room with a flourish of her skirt literally made me cry. Seeing the original stills of the Christmas special make me realize just how incorrect the colorization was, however, I am of the school that would love the show in full, stunning color. I can be patient, though! I'd love it, as long as the quality was great and painstakingkly-researched. There's a lot of money yo be made here if CBS releases the show correctly the first time...

That's why we need to reach out and contact CBS, about the I Love Lucy: Colorized Christmas. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and go down trying/fighting for this, regardless if it's done properly. We're not going to know until the DVD is released. I agree, and feel the same way with everything you wrote in your post above this one, Daniel! :);)

Archived