Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

I personally love the color episodes, but I definitely agree with Brock- it never looks quite right no matter how it's done. And as much as I like it, I do not want it to overpower the B&W episodes as Lotus Bud said. I think they should do a few special episodes in color or a Best Of collection in color. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get why everything must be altered to suit the masses. Frankly, if people can't take it in its original form, they have no business enjoying it until they learn how to take things as they are. And if ILL is completely colorized, pretty soon the B&W copies will vanish from the face of the earth, just as Jeannie and Bewitched have all but vanished in B&W.

BECAUSE THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND MONEY and CBS wants t milk that Lucy cash cow yet again. AND, having seen each show a thousand times, i'm kinda anxious to see them differently once more. It was great when the new technology allowed them to give us these perfect pristine copies and now it'll be great to see the shows a way we've never seen them before and to get to see what color everything was.

I personally love the color episodes, but I definitely agree with Brock- it never looks quite right no matter how it's done. And as much as I like it, I do not want it to overpower the B&W episodes as Lotus Bud said. I think they should do a few special episodes in color or a Best Of collection in color. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Sure, as long as it plays out IN COLOR! LOL! I Love Lucy, being THE greatest comedy series of all time, like Citizen Kane for movies, will ALWAYS be available in the way it was originally filmed, in black and white. Open your minds and think, anything that helps the Lucy legacy is worth the trauma of you seeing that pair of hostess pants or Fred's gaudy jackets in color.

I definitely will buy the high definition sets, which, they say might roll out in March 2014. Although I wish CBS would release the high definition in color so I don't have to buy additional sets. I already have all the I Love Lucy's on tape from Columbia House, the individual seasons on DVD, the repackaged DVD seasons that were released last October and the enitre boxed set. I still think I Love Lucy is best in black and white, but, I will buy the color sets, to help keep her legacy alive. I would really love for CBS to release a box set of The Lucy Show with a bonus DVD. I have all six seasons but would love to have an official boxed set with a bonus DVD - w/extras like The Good Years w/Henry Fonda, Lucy's guest appearance on Greatest Show on Earth, K.O. Kitty that played on the Westinghouse-Desilu Playhouse in 1958 and the premiere episodes of Milton Berle's and Steve Lawrence's flop variety series that aired in 1966 and 1965, respectively, with Lucy as a guest star. I would also love MPI to release a box set of Here's Lucy with a bonus DVD - w/extras like Let's Talk To Lucy, Lucy's guest appearance on Danny Thomas' The Practice in 1977 and guest appearance on Dinah Shore's 1970 special "Like Hep."

I definitely will buy the high definition sets, which, they say might roll out in March 2014. Although I wish CBS would release the high definition in color so I don't have to buy additional sets. I already have all the I Love Lucy's on tape from Columbia House, the individual seasons on DVD, the repackaged DVD seasons that were released last October and the enitre boxed set. I still think I Love Lucy is best in black and white, but, I will buy the color sets, to help keep her legacy alive. I would really love for CBS to release a box set of The Lucy Show with a bonus DVD. I have all six seasons but would love to have an official boxed set with a bonus DVD - w/extras like The Good Years w/Henry Fonda, Lucy's guest appearance on Greatest Show on Earth, K.O. Kitty that played on the Westinghouse-Desilu Playhouse in 1958 and the premiere episodes of Milton Berle's and Steve Lawrence's flop variety series that aired in 1966 and 1965, respectively, with Lucy as a guest star. I would also love MPI to release a box set of Here's Lucy with a bonus DVD - w/extras like Let's Talk To Lucy, Lucy's guest appearance on Danny Thomas' The Practice in 1977 and guest appearance on Dinah Shore's 1970 special "Like Hep."

Thanks, forgot about that one, The Lucy Show, season one, now in C O L O R ! LOL!

I'm excited to see what the new colorization looks like. I got a kick out of the Bewitched colorization, but I think they may have been because I was so use to seeing the color episodes in syndication on TBS that the black and white episodes looked odd to me. I think it would be neat if the series were available in color, just because I like choices and it might bring more fans to the series. And if you get the color set and decide you don't like it, you can always adjust your TV's settings to make the picture black and white.

So if I am reading this right we are getting 2 ILL's in primetime on CBS. Am I correct in that this hasn't happened since the original colorized Christmas episode in the early 90's.

If this is so, it is probably another testing of the ratings to see if they should colorize them all. Very cool! CBS will be making big bucks on us fans in the next coming years!

Hell, I just want Life With Lucy, cmon MPI. :D

If this is so, it is probably another testing of the ratings to see if they should colorize them all. Very cool! CBS will be making big bucks on us fans in the next coming years!

Hell, I just want Life With Lucy, cmon MPI. :D

I spoke to Ken Ross of CBS Home Entertainment in New York and was told that they are not sure if Life With Lucy will be released on DVD, so, I guess CBS does own the rights to Life With Lucy and not MPI.

YAY! And as a note... Gregg said they would be updating the colorization on the Christmas special for this release. Happy to see they are airing it too!

Re: your Gorboona pictures. What are you trying to do? Make us SICK?

As mentioned by Gregg Oppenheimer in Jamestown on Friday:

29vatqo.jpg

From TVShowsonDVD:

[/background][/color][/left]

Re: that last paragraph, while TVShowsOnDVD won't confirm, Gregg said the BluRays would start rolling out in March 2014.

I'm a little confused. Hasn't the colorized Christmas show already been aired? Have they colorized the whole thing including the flashbacks?

Did I miss a release that included the colorized "Italian Movie"?

I'd love a colorized version of "Don Loper" to see the dress lined in purple and (what other color?) plus the new color he created for the season: pink mink. And see Mrs. Richard Carlson's rosy eyes. (wasn't she the drunk one?).

Other colo(u)rization candidates: Charm School for the outfits, Ethel's Birthday (just what color are those checkerboard britches?), and I suppose Paris gown and Dancing star.

I'm a little confused. Hasn't the colorized Christmas show already been aired? Have they colorized the whole thing including the flashbacks?

There are two -- or possibly three -- colorized versions of the Christmas Show. It was colorized for airing in the early 90s, colorized again for the first DVD set, which was not aired, and, if I understood Gregg correctly, this new colorized version has been revised from the DVD version. The colorized edition of Lucy's Italian Movie was part of the "Essential I Love Lucy" DVD collection released by TIme Life a few years ago.

I’m a purist and prefer my ILL in the original black and white. I was rather impressed with the color Scotland episode in that it really did look real and not like someone with a coloring book and crayons. My issue with color is I like my Lucy 100% pure. No one can guarantee that something was the color it originally was, it’s just an educated guess. I feel like the black and white people on screen are more real, truer to how it actually was.

What I am excited about with this offering is we are getting Lucy in primetime again. Not just a movie or special but actual ILL on CBS in primetime. So glad to see and I hope the ratings are good. If last year’s ABC Best in Television that was all viewer voted was any indication people still love this show. With it being so close to Christmas people are in a nostalgic mood already and I think this will pull in big ratings even if people are just wanting to check out how they colorized it and the vast majority of people have not seen the Christmas episode either helps.

I have yet to get myself a Bluray player but will eventually. My ILL DVD set is the original season by season issue. The clarity is great on this. The first season is not quite as clear as the others though. I wonder how much clearer this show can be made. I guess it’s just a sharpening up of the picture. Anymore clearer and they will be in my living room soon. Given how the series has been issued already I know that this will be done in boxset series form. That’s when I’ll purchase it and also I don’t need to rush out and get a Blueray player anytime soon.

Mr. Wilson you just put together the ultimate list of extras. These have got to be the rarest Lucy stuff to get. I’ve got a ton of stuff over the years but of your list the only one I have in full is KO Kitty which is totally worth having. The ones I have not even seen a clip from but want badly are The Good Years and the Greatest Show on Earth. All these need to make it to DVD somehow.

And I wish we could get maybe a CD set release or something of Let’s Talk to Lucy. I’m really not looking forward of trying to cobble this show together from a bunch of random inclusions of extras on a bunch of DVD sets I’m not going to buy otherwise.

I spoke to Ken Ross of CBS Home Entertainment in New York and was told that they are not sure if Life With Lucy will be released on DVD, so, I guess CBS does own the rights to Life With Lucy and not MPI.

That's odd. LWL was on NBC and someone's LWL episode on YouTube got taken down by MPI for copyright.

It was shown on ABC, why on earth would CBS have anything to do with it.

I'd love a colorized version of "Don Loper" to see the dress lined in purple and (what other color?) plus the new color he created for the season: pink mink. And see Mrs. Richard Carlson's rosy eyes. (wasn't she the drunk one?).

Other colo(u)rization candidates: Charm School for the outfits, Ethel's Birthday (just what color are those checkerboard britches?), and I suppose Paris gown and Dancing star.

FUSCHIA and purple, if that's the way one spells it.

I’m a purist and prefer my ILL in the original black and white. I was rather impressed with the color Scotland episode in that it really did look real and not like someone with a coloring book and crayons. My issue with color is I like my Lucy 100% pure. No one can guarantee that something was the color it originally was, it’s just an educated guess. I feel like the black and white people on screen are more real, truer to how it actually was.

What I am excited about with this offering is we are getting Lucy in primetime again. Not just a movie or special but actual ILL on CBS in primetime. So glad to see and I hope the ratings are good. If last year’s ABC Best in Television that was all viewer voted was any indication people still love this show. With it being so close to Christmas people are in a nostalgic mood already and I think this will pull in big ratings even if people are just wanting to check out how they colorized it and the vast majority of people have not seen the Christmas episode either helps.

I have yet to get myself a Bluray player but will eventually. My ILL DVD set is the original season by season issue. The clarity is great on this. The first season is not quite as clear as the others though. I wonder how much clearer this show can be made. I guess it’s just a sharpening up of the picture. Anymore clearer and they will be in my living room soon. Given how the series has been issued already I know that this will be done in boxset series form. That’s when I’ll purchase it and also I don’t need to rush out and get a Blueray player anytime soon.

My point exactly, how can anyone who's seen the Scotland episode in color be against the whole series being done that way, it was just perfect color wise. Watched it just the other day.

Mr. Wilson you just put together the ultimate list of extras. These have got to be the rarest Lucy stuff to get. I’ve got a ton of stuff over the years but of your list the only one I have in full is KO Kitty which is totally worth having. The ones I have not even seen a clip from but want badly are The Good Years and the Greatest Show on Earth. All these need to make it to DVD somehow.

And I wish we could get maybe a CD set release or something of Let’s Talk to Lucy. I’m really not looking forward of trying to cobble this show together from a bunch of random inclusions of extras on a bunch of DVD sets I’m not going to buy otherwise.

Absofrigginlutely! I'd just love to see all the Let's Talk to Lucy shows together, Lucy was brilliant at interviewing, she should have had an afternoon talk show.

Absofrigginlutely! I'd just love to see all the Let's Talk to Lucy shows together, Lucy was brilliant at interviewing, she should have had an afternoon talk show.

She had a great interview style. Granted most of these people were her friends but for those that she may have been more of a causal acquaintance with she had a lovely rapport with them too. Her questions get great responses out of the interviewer, she makes them feel at ease, never approaches a topic to controversial or one someone may not want to talk about. She also does a nice job of interjecting a personal thought or story into the conversation but never makes it about herself, something many people can’t do. I also love that you never feel that she was some super famous celebrity who banters on with the guests about insider Hollywood stuff the average person would never understand. She keeps her audience in mind. I wish these were more than 10 minutes because she always gets going on something good and runs out of time. Luckily they did many 2 parters with guests. This show is like this wonderful untapped bit of Lucy we so rarely saw.

Archived