Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

Supposedly this is an actual color photo and it shows the walls are blue. So they do match this photo.  And the green matting of the photos over the fireplace, and the bricks around the fireplace, were also matched in the colorized episode.  As for swapping out the drapes, I don't think that would have been a big effort.  If you've ever visited the props department of a movie studio, they have pretty much everything available that you can imagine and that kind of thing can be done in an instant.

And JYuhas, that's a great list of questions you have there.  And I'm with you about colorizing the whole series.  I understand the other side, and I've leaned in that direction in the past, but I really enjoy seeing the colorized episodes and like the idea of having the option of seeing it both ways.  And I agree it would extend the life of this series many more years.

attachicon.gifLucilleBall057.1 Marilyn resized.jpg

I don't think this photo is spot on with color, its a bit faded and off in color, but its color no less. 

My grandmother once owned 2 original ILL prop pictures that were found by the fireplace in the 2nd Ricardo Apt.

and the frame was a blue than green.

tumblr_mvtdkeGWM41r7jnmao1_400.jpg

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you there.  I know people who have painted their apartments far more out there colors than blue.  Those blue walls look pretty tame to me. In fact, a house I used to own had blue living room walls when I bought it (same light blue color).

For wartime housing here in Canada, for returning soldiers, they would paint two walls of one room one color and the other two walls another color.  As for ME, never painted anything BEIGE, too boring, always went with the boldest choices as do all the fancy homes of the stars or rich people in general.  Only decorators know what goes with what and they can sometimes REALLY surprise you with their uncommon choices.  Now getting back to the show, why do I recall always reading in the old days that Karl Freund had chosen almost always various shades of grey for photography purposes?

I've read in the past that the set was painted in shades of gray, but in that photograph I posted, the second apartment is blue.  And in the color home movie footage that audience member shot during the filming of "The Audition" (which just surfaced in recent years) the walls of both the apartment (apartment #1) and decorations at the Tropicana, have a pinkish color.  And color photos of the Connecticut home show brown wood and green plaster.

Well, that certainly makes sense for the audience sitting there far away in the bleachers, not only did they want them to hear properly but they surely strived to get them to see everything better, from that distance.

Hardee har, har! Apples & oranges, cupcake! Apples & oranges! Oh - and for those who need to "see" them in color, apples are RED (or green) and oranges are....ORANGE, like Lucy's haircolor in this latest misguided attempt at colorizing it!  :lucyhorror:

But her hair WAS orange, back then, she said so herself snookums.

Misguided attempt at colorizing it? So just what is wrong with the current colorized shows? The colors look good and they seem to be as accurate as can be after 62 years of watching the shows in black and white.  Atleast they are trying to get the colors as right as they can. Like it or not color for I Love Lucy is here to stay. CBS has found a way to make more money on the show and that way is color. You know that saying that money talks. I think that I Love Lucy should be in color period, it is 2013 and the current color process in very good. Remember this new I Love Lucy Colorized Christmas dvd includes the three shows in black and white. One can watch the color or black and white versions. As CBS releases more color I Love Lucy dvds I say they will also include the black and white option also. So for anyone that hates I Love Lucy in color get over it and get use to it. Color for I Love Lucy is here and trust me it will not go away. Color for the show is the shows future.

Thank you, seeing the colorful LUCY in the greatest show ever created in C O L O R is a dream come true.  As a matter of fact, to those who have chided me about seeing my all time favorite and greatest FILM, Citizen Kane, in C O L O R , I say yes, bring it on.  It's only an improvement, and not a bad thing in any way.  It's like you said, after 62 years of seeing something one way, finally a way to see something different about a classic show that will only bring it an even bigger audience, what the hell is wrong with that?

I agree. But if all that hard work is put into it, wouldn't it make more "cents" to color it exactly as it was seen 62 years ago? Wouldn't CBS get more publicity to the new generation if they saw it exactly as it was seen by the public in the 1950's? Lucy is funny regardless of what color they use, but it seems to me like a slap in the face to the queen of comedy to color her like a clown when she deserves better after all the hard work they put into Desilu! They gave us the laughter, let's give back what she deserves!  :lucywow:

Well said, but everything they've done so far shows that they have given her the respect she deserves.  I don't really care f the drapes are blue or red or polka dots or plaid, as long as they are IN COLOR.  Instead of that black and white that starts to grate on one's nerves after more than half a century.  The purists can watch The Long, Long trailer and everything else she ever did in glorious black and white by simply eliminating the color with just a flip of the switch on their TV's.  If it disturbs them that much, as, like you said, her comedy will be just as funny either way. 

I agree. But if all that hard work is put into it, wouldn't it make more "cents" to color it exactly as it was seen 62 years ago? Wouldn't CBS get more publicity to the new generation if they saw it exactly as it was seen by the public in the 1950's? Lucy is funny regardless of what color they use, but it seems to me like a slap in the face to the queen of comedy to color her like a clown when she deserves better after all the hard work they put into Desilu! They gave us the laughter, let's give back what she deserves!  :lucywow:

Hear, hear! :D

But her hair WAS orange, back then, she said so herself snookums.

Really?? Well it doesn't look "orange" to me in Long, Long Trailer and as big fans we both know that this is from the same era as the colorized shows in question.  It could have perhaps been used as a reference point for the color palette they used for Lucy, Desi and their clothing, some of which probably (I don't recall specifically) ended up in both vehicles.  :D

If I may take a moment to make something crystal clear, before any more unnecessary snide remarks are hurled in either direction, I don't really care if you guys want to watch ILL or anything else which originated in B&W in color if the powers that be at CBS are greedy enough to go through with this transmogrified version of a classic work perfect just the way it was created....They could care less about the fans or what they want or "future generations" getting hooked on the series, all they care about is making a buck, so if they can, they will; so, no doubt you'll soon all get your wish...

I'm perfectly content with my ILL Complete Series box and hopefully as discussed, look forward to Blu-rays early next year.

Can't wait! 

:D

If the shows can be colorized exactly as they looked 62 years  ago sure it would make more "cents" But the problem is does enough color pictures or film exist today that they could use as color guides? If they have nothing to work with as a color guide then alot of hard decisions will have to be made in the selection of colors. Who knows 5 or 10 years from now the color technology might be better than it is today. Until then they are trying their best to get the colors almost correct.

If CBS does not care about the I Love Lucy fans then who does CBS think will buy any I Love Lucy dvds or Blu ray discs? Yes it is true that CBS is doing everything they can to continue to make money on the series. Color, dvds, Blu ray disc they are money makers for CBS. They need the fans to buy this stuff so they can make their money. And I also am looking forward to the new Blu ray I Love Lucy discs in black and white or color.

If I may take a moment to make something crystal clear, before any more unnecessary snide remarks are hurled in either direction, I don't really care if you guys want to watch ILL or anything else which originated in B&W in color if the powers that be at CBS are greedy enough to go through with this transmogrified version of a classic work perfect just the way it was created....They could care less about the fans or what they want or "future generations" getting hooked on the series, all they care about is making a buck, so if they can, they will; so, no doubt you'll soon all get your wish...

I'm perfectly content with my ILL Complete Series box and hopefully as discussed, look forward to Blu-rays early next year.

Can't wait! 

:D

Nah, wait for the color version of that Blu Ray in a few years, it'll be worth the wait, LOL!  I'll bet you're still using a rotary dial phone too huh?  Don't care much for those new fangled ones that you can take with you everywhere either I bet, it's called making something good even better.

If the shows can be colorized exactly as they looked 62 years  ago sure it would make more "cents" But the problem is does enough color pictures or film exist today that they could use as color guides? If they have nothing to work with as a color guide then alot of hard decisions will have to be made in the selection of colors. Who knows 5 or 10 years from now the color technology might be better than it is today. Until then they are trying their best to get the colors almost correct.

So, twenty years from now the technology will be even better than today, so they can do it all over again, so what, I just want these now because color will be better than black and white and i'll be happy with anything they give me.

If CBS does not care about the I Love Lucy fans then who does CBS think will buy any I Love Lucy dvds or Blu ray discs? Yes it is true that CBS is doing everything they can to continue to make money on the series. Color, dvds, Blu ray disc they are money makers for CBS. They need the fans to buy this stuff so they can make their money. And I also am looking forward to the new Blu ray I Love Lucy discs in black and white or color.

At least CBS was wise enough to hold on to the series, then they brought it out in various formats, whatever was popular at the time, and now they're going ahead with new ways to present the series to get as many fans worldwide as they can because they have the greatest show that ever existed and they are adding special features and doing so much more than just milking a cash cow, they are preserving a phenomenon for future generations, what the heck is wrong with that?

Does anyone remember in the 90s Nick at Night tinted an episode green in honor of St. Patties day? Now that was some crazy WTF.

I don't care if they tint it red for Valentine's day, i'll take it any way I can get it.  But I tell you, watching the Lucy show on two stations tonight, stations that show these dull copies that have not been remastered or refined, it's no match for those flawless DVD copies and the coming Blu Rays either, but I can't wait for that first season to get the color treatment also.

Yes I also want the shows in color now. The color process is good now, but just think what it might be like in the future. Our viewing options for the show will only get better. I Love Lucy has a bright future going forward. What an exciting time to be a Lucy fan.

Oh it's been an exciting time since they started coming out on DVD and we can finally own them and play them whenever we want and we got some new features along with that so now the networks can stick'em where the sun don't shine, we no longer need them.

Nothing wrong with preserving I Love Lucy. It should be treated with great respect. It is the best show of all time. Reruns, vhs, laserdisc, dvd  or bluray I Love Lucy will be around for us to enjoy.

And did you hear, they're working on colorizing the series now, who'd have thunk it?

Yes I did hear that they are working on colorizing the series now. But will they release a few color shows at a time on dvd. Or will they release full color season sets. I hope full color season sets or better a complete color boxed set of the entire series full of new extra features.. The most important thing is that they are colorizing the show.

Yes I did hear that they are working on colorizing the series now. But will they release a few color shows at a time on dvd. Or will they release full color season sets. I hope full color season sets or better a complete color boxed set of the entire series full of new extra features.. The most important thing is that they are colorizing the show.

Like I said before, i'll take it any way it comes out.   Whatever way it comes out too.  I keep noticing that in our avatar pics of Lucy, you and I, she's got orangy hair and not red, so Joey, put that in your pipe and smoke it, LOL!

Archived