Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anybody be interested in creating a Facebook group/page with me, that we could join, for those who would like to see fully colorized "I Love Lucy" episodes, to be released on DVD and//or Blu-ray?  Release All Seasons of " I Love Lucy," Fully Colorized on Blu-ray and/or DVD? 

Do you remember The Dick Cavett Show dvd set that came out a few years  ago it had a Cavett show with Lucy as the guest. Her talk shows are hard to find on dvd. But I know some are on You Tube.

Yes, I have the Cavett one, that was a great one, I have a few Merv Griffin ones, those are the absolute best as he made her feel AT EASE so she was more open to discussing things and honestly and blunt as always, LOL!   But you're right, You Tube is just great for that. 

Would anybody be interested in creating a Facebook group/page with me, that we could join, for those who would like to see fully colorized "I Love Lucy" episodes, to be released on DVD and//or Blu-ray?  Release All Seasons of " I Love Lucy," Fully Colorized on Blu-ray and/or DVD? 

Remember the Elmer Fudd line, I HATES RABBITS!  Well, I HATE Facebook, sorry.

I just bought the DVD. I will admit the Christmas show looks better than the original colorization. Especially the apartment, that's what I'm blown away with. But as for their skin color, ugh. I never liked the way colorized skin looks. So unnatural looking. Lucy's hair is also very vibrant, too vibrant if you ask me. I think Vivian looks the best in this. Also the Santa kitchen scene was well done. Even though to my recollection of the kitchen is yellowish.

I've never been fond of colorized movies or shows. Especially after the Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie colorized, but that's another topic.

Now as much as it would be great to see our Fab Four in color. But when it comes to me, like a lot of people, I like accuracy. Not just coloring because they want to add color, (which they didn't completely disappoint with), I just feel as if it would lose something. If I see Lucy in color I want to feel as if I'm seeing it live, with complete accuracy. Realistically, I know this is close to impossible to do. You can't be accurate with every detail.

Now, I do support this in a way since it will bring more people in. Plus a huge money maker and more publicity for our gal. Maybe bring a few new fans in that will appreciate also the original format.

But in the end, if colorized episodes took over the TV dials, I would be greatly upset.

So I say, CBS, go ahead. Do your research and have a crew to put their soul into doing it right. But ultimately, keep I Love Lucy in it's original format on the airwaves and keep the black and white on DVD in print.

I just bought the DVD. I will admit the Christmas show looks better than the original colorization. Especially the apartment, that's what I'm blown away with. But as for their skin color, ugh. I never liked the way colorized skin looks. So unnatural looking. Lucy's hair is also very vibrant, too vibrant if you ask me. I think Vivian looks the best in this. Also the Santa kitchen scene was well done. Even though to my recollection of the kitchen is yellowish.

I've never been fond of colorized movies or shows. Especially after the Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie colorized, but that's another topic.

Now as much as it would be great to see our Fab Four in color. But when it comes to me, like a lot of people, I like accuracy. Not just coloring because they want to add color, (which they didn't completely disappoint with), I just feel as if it would lose something. If I see Lucy in color I want to feel as if I'm seeing it live, with complete accuracy. Realistically, I know this is close to impossible to do. You can't be accurate with every detail.

Now, I do support this in a way since it will bring more people in. Plus a huge money maker and more publicity for our gal. Maybe bring a few new fans in that will appreciate also the original format.

But in the end, if colorized episodes took over the TV dials, I would be greatly upset.

So I say, CBS, go ahead. Do your research and have a crew to put their soul into doing it right. But ultimately, keep I Love Lucy in it's original format on the airwaves and keep the black and white on DVD in print.

You're one tough cookie, aren't you?  Please don't bring up Bewitched or Jeanie, that colorization was done too long ago to be any good.  And again, I must point out that Lucy had a face that was powdered and made up to the extent that she was so pale that colorization can not be like it would for other people, the woman was forty when she started doing the series so she needed lots of powder to hide the wrinkles and she never or seldom got any sun so she was not normally skin colored and neither was Desi, he was the opposite, getting sun all the time and being naturally DARK, so dark in fact that her grandpa thought he was black the first time he met him.  Anyone who has seen the Scotland episode colorized just yearns for more and finally we're getting three more, so that makes us 4/for 180, please don't let it stop there, we want M O R E ! 

I agree with your assessment about the skin color and Lucy's hair color.  Those were the two things that bugged me.  I thought everything else was great.  I think the colorized Bewitched was close to perfection, so I was expecting the same here.  For Bewitched, they were able to make Endora's hair color look normal, and her hair was similar to Lucille Ball's so I don't see why Lucy's hair color should be a problem.  I wonder, though, if the skin color issue may have something to do with the particular stage lighting required to film in black and white in front of a studio audience?  On the other hand, Claude's theories on this may be the reason.  If they can get Lucy's hair and everyone's skin color fixed, I'd be fully satisfied.

I have to disagree strongly with this statement:  "keep I Love Lucy in it's original format on the airwaves and keep the black and white on DVD in print."

Keeping I Love Lucy in B&W on the air would defeat the main purpose of colorizing it, which is to attract new viewers.  Those new viewers are not going to go searching for color DVDs if they've never even watched the show to begin with.  Television is where they would discover the show, and if it's in color they'll be more likely to watch.  That's the idea.  Then after they watch, they get hooked.  The folks who are screaming loudly against colorizing the show are people who are already fans, and who most likely own all the DVDs.  So if those folks don't want to watch it in color on broadcast TV, then they can watch their B&W DVDs.  Incidentally, I've never understood people complaining about they way broadcasters air a show ("too many commercials," "too many edits," "they don't show the closing credits," "it's colorized!" etc.) when they own the whole thing on DVD.

I agree with your assessment about the skin color and Lucy's hair color.  Those were the two things that bugged me.  I thought everything else was great.  I think the colorized Bewitched was close to perfection, so I was expecting the same here.  For Bewitched, they were able to make Endora's hair color look normal, and her hair was similar to Lucille Ball's so I don't see why Lucy's hair color should be a problem.  I wonder, though, if the skin color issue may have something to do with the particular stage lighting required to film in black and white in front of a studio audience?  On the other hand, Claude's theories on this may be the reason.  If they can get Lucy's hair and everyone's skin color fixed, I'd be fully satisfied.

I have to disagree strongly with this statement:  "keep I Love Lucy in it's original format on the airwaves and keep the black and white on DVD in print."

Keeping I Love Lucy in B&W on the air would defeat the main purpose of colorizing it, which is to attract new viewers.  Those new viewers are not going to go searching for color DVDs if they've never even watched the show to begin with.  Television is where they would discover the show, and if it's in color they'll be more likely to watch.  That's the idea.  Then after they watch, they get hooked.  The folks who are screaming loudly against colorizing the show are people who are already fans, and who most likely own all the DVDs.  So if those folks don't want to watch it in color on broadcast TV, then they can watch their B&W DVDs.  Incidentally, I've never understood people complaining about they way broadcasters air a show ("too many commercials," "too many edits," "they don't show the closing credits," "it's colorized!" etc.) when they own the whole thing on DVD.

Even Lucy complained about the cuts that ruined set ups for jokes.  You should have seen the Lucy show I saw last night, 15 minutes or so before any sound came on, the previous night's one had a tinny sound accompanying anything said, drove me nuts, had to turn it off, and the picture is so dull and grainy, I just said, i'll watch it on dvd, it'll be so clear it'll look like it was filmed today rather than half a century ago.  As for Lucy's hair, let's recall how us fans were always shocked to discover that her hair was not normal red like Endora's but O R A N G E and maybe she figured a hair tint that was not normal would take the emphasis off her face at that time. 

One can always watch the color season 2 of The Lucy Show on dvd and compare Lucys hair and face and then watch the color II Love Lucy Christmas dvd and compare her hair and face. Trying to decide if the hair and face from the two shows look the same is a very hard decision. Everyone will have their own opinion.

I'll never forget the first calendars or Lucy coasters I got and wondered why the hell they made her hair orange, looked so fake, not like her at all.  Of course I was remembering the later Lucy where as she once said, SHE HAD TAKEN THE CIRCUS OUT OF IT.  Her I Love Lucy hair was not the same each time she tinted it as she went from her own recipe, not professionally bought and mixed by experts.   

I agree with your assessment about the skin color and Lucy's hair color. Those were the two things that bugged me. I thought everything else was great. I think the colorized Bewitched was close to perfection, so I was expecting the same here. For Bewitched, they were able to make Endora's hair color look normal, and her hair was similar to Lucille Ball's so I don't see why Lucy's hair color should be a problem. I wonder, though, if the skin color issue may have something to do with the particular stage lighting required to film in black and white in front of a studio audience? On the other hand, Claude's theories on this may be the reason. If they can get Lucy's hair and everyone's skin color fixed, I'd be fully satisfied.

I have to disagree strongly with this statement: "keep I Love Lucy in it's original format on the airwaves and keep the black and white on DVD in print."

Keeping I Love Lucy in B&W on the air would defeat the main purpose of colorizing it, which is to attract new viewers. Those new viewers are not going to go searching for color DVDs if they've never even watched the show to begin with. Television is where they would discover the show, and if it's in color they'll be more likely to watch. That's the idea. Then after they watch, they get hooked. The folks who are screaming loudly against colorizing the show are people who are already fans, and who most likely own all the DVDs. So if those folks don't want to watch it in color on broadcast TV, then they can watch their B&W DVDs. Incidentally, I've never understood people complaining about they way broadcasters air a show ("too many commercials," "too many edits," "they don't show the closing credits," "it's colorized!" etc.) when they own the whole thing on DVD.

Well, if that's the purpose, I wholeheartedly disagree with it all. Keep it on DVD to see and maybe have some specials like they are doing for the Christmas one. Keep Lucy the way it is. Don't change it to keep it so called "fresh". It's perfection the way it is, 60 years later and it's still popular as ever.

Well, if that's the purpose, I wholeheartedly disagree with it all. Keep it on DVD to see and maybe have some specials like they are doing for the Christmas one. Keep Lucy the way it is. Don't change it to keep it so called "fresh". It's perfection the way it is, 60 years later and it's still popular as ever.

THEY'RE NOT CHANGING IT, THEY'RE MERELY ADDING TO THE WAYS YOU CAN SEE IT.

What people are failing to realize is CBS needs to do something to keep making money from the show, at the end of the day we all know Lucy is worth tons. And with the older generations well...dieing out they need to draw in the younger generation to keep making money off the show. I personally always wanted to see the series colorized and it will happen one day whether the older fans like it or not, the colorized dvd is selling out at every store near me. Sure some things look off but there's only so much you can do and compared to other colorization attempts this Lucy dvd looks incredible.

90% of the fanbase already own all the episodes on dvd in B/W, the original version of Lucy will never dissapear because lets face it xD all you have to do is turn your color down. People are just complaining to complain at this point.

Just my two cents though =P

What people are failing to realize is CBS needs to do something to keep making money from the show, at the end of the day we all know Lucy is worth tons. And with the older generations well...dieing out they need to draw in the younger generation to keep making money off the show. I personally always wanted to see the series colorized and it will happen one day whether the older fans like it or not, the colorized dvd is selling out at every store near me. Sure some things look off but there's only so much you can do and compared to other colorization attempts this Lucy dvd looks incredible.

90% of the fanbase already own all the episodes on dvd in B/W, the original version of Lucy will never dissapear because lets face it xD all you have to do is turn your color down. People are just complaining to complain at this point.

You said it brother!

No, it's not complaining. It's our opinion on what we would like to see happen. I wouldn't mind I Love Lucy in color but I do not want it to take over the airwaves. It's as simple as that. My opinion, nothing more. We cannot all agree about this subject.

But at the end of the day, we all have no control in what happens.

No, it's not complaining. It's our opinion on what we would like to see happen. I wouldn't mind I Love Lucy in color but I do not want it to take over the airwaves. It's as simple as that. My opinion, nothing more. We cannot all agree about this subject.

Annaleigh, well said! That's all we -- obviously in the minority! -- are trying to convey:  We're not trying to deprive anyone of what they feel they're entitled to want, we simply don't want the original incarnation "bastardized" in such a way that it takes the place of the classic originals entirely, that would be a shame. 

It does however seem inevitable that this is going to happen; so be it.  Commerce above all, after all (if you guys seriously think CBS & all involved is doing this to make "the fans" happy, you're just kidding yourselves)!! :D

I find it rather amusing and ironic that among all the hoohah about this topic that I just read that Mill Creek, a "cheapo" label that's reissuing many classic titles already previously released on DVD (e.g. Roseanne, That 70s Show, Cosby Show, etc. etc.) has acquired rights to re-package & re-release many Sony titles, including my other all-time favorite sitcom, Bewitched

Get the tag line:  "Sam and 'Derwood' in the ORIGINAL Black-and-White Seasons 1 and 2!"  The cover prominently states: "Proudly Presented in Classic Black & White," true to the original broadcast versions of these episodes! 

Bewitched_S1_BW_MCE.jpg

Oh yes we do, with our purchasing dollars of course.

Oooooooooooh love your Lucy chocolates avatar IN COLOR, is that the next episode coming out colorized?

Thank you =)

But nah, I actually colorized it myself. I even colorized 2 seconds of the Operetta episode so far, the part where Lucy makes her entrance xD

If anyone has any episode stills they want colorized just let me know =)

I spoke to Ken Ross of CBS Home Entertainment in New York and was told that they are not sure if Life With Lucy will be released on DVD, so, I guess CBS does own the rights to Life With Lucy and not MPI.

this makes me sad.  I have a copy of the show but it's all blurry.  I hope they decide to release it

Archived