Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through various mergers and buyouts, CBS owns the rights to the Aaron Spelling productions, including the DVD rights to Life With Lucy.

Yeah, as I was typing it, I sorta remembered you mentioning that one time, hard to keep track of all that crap that goes on in the business world, especially Hollywood.

She had a great interview style. Granted most of these people were her friends but for those that she may have been more of a causal acquaintance with she had a lovely rapport with them too. Her questions get great responses out of the interviewer, she makes them feel at ease, never approaches a topic to controversial or one someone may not want to talk about. She also does a nice job of interjecting a personal thought or story into the conversation but never makes it about herself, something many people can’t do. I also love that you never feel that she was some super famous celebrity who banters on with the guests about insider Hollywood stuff the average person would never understand. She keeps her audience in mind. I wish these were more than 10 minutes because she always gets going on something good and runs out of time. Luckily they did many 2 parters with guests. This show is like this wonderful untapped bit of Lucy we so rarely saw.

So true and well said as usual. She would have been terrific as a hostess, like Dinah, of an afternoon gabfest. And even her daughter too, she would have been great as a co host on The View or The Talk. She inherited from her mom, an outgoing personality, unfazed by big stars and always buoyant and funny.

I’m a purist and prefer my ILL in the original black and white. I was rather impressed with the color Scotland episode in that it really did look real and not like someone with a coloring book and crayons. My issue with color is I like my Lucy 100% pure. No one can guarantee that something was the color it originally was, it’s just an educated guess. I feel like the black and white people on screen are more real, truer to how it actually was.

I can protest... all the episodes they have colorized, besides the Christmas episode, has not been colorized based on guesses. The Scotland episode was practically dead on, they had original color productions stills and home movies in color... same for the Italian move, more productions stills, but I believe Gregg said there were home movies too. I have seen the home movies for the Scotland on the Here's Lucy extras, but I think there are more color movies that we have not seen. Crossing my fingers- I'd LOVE to see them!!

I can protest... all the episodes they have colorized, besides the Christmas episode, has not been colorized based on guesses. The Scotland episode was practically dead on, they had original color productions stills and home movies in color... same for the Italian move, more productions stills, but I believe Gregg said there were home movies too. I have seen the home movies for the Scotland on the Here's Lucy extras, but I think there are more color movies that we have not seen. Crossing my fingers- I'd LOVE to see them!!

Exactly, this isn't the Pruitts of Southhampton here where nobody knows anything about anything, this is the single most well known television show ever. And as we can see from the photo threads and the Jamestown tribute, there are photos of everything ever on the series.

There clearly wasn't that much research done for the colorized non-dress sequence Lucy Goes to Scotland scenes since they made Lucy's dress in the opening scene black. There are many color photographs and as well as Rick's great color illustration in the I Love Lucy paper doll book that show that the dress was a burgundy color.

There clearly wasn't that much research done for the colorized non-dress sequence Lucy Goes to Scotland scenes since they made Lucy's dress in the opening scene black. There are many color photographs and as well as Rick's great color illustration in the I Love Lucy paper doll book that show that the dress was a burgundy color.

True, but they did do a very good job otherwise.

My point exactly, how can anyone who's seen the Scotland episode in color be against the whole series being done that way, it was just perfect color wise. Watched it just the other day.

OMG HOW I AGREE.

Its like turning on NBC, watching SMASHED and then afterwards a silent 1919 Vaudeville short comes on, about 25 minutes - with little restoration, sped up, flickering and fuzzy...yes, in 1982, the average viewer would watch, now days- within 2 seconds, that viewer is probably onto channel surf through the 5989 channels they have and will leave it to youtube or google to see that old movie..

ILL has the ability to march on with pop culture, as long as it stays afloat with modern TV picture quality (1080color HD?)

IMO Its only a matter of time before TV retires Lucy and leaves it up to DVDs/Blu-Ray and streaming networks to provide it, UNLESS it gets a make over, and HD is not only it. Don't get me wrong, its AWESOME seeing the details on hulu, but it needs color to keep up, plain n simple. I think people will get a little tired of watching an HD vibrantly colored TV show and then see the fuzzy, sped up, dark, black and white copy...its lasted over 60 years off of a generation who grew up with it being that way originally, and so an alternative has never been thought of when watching, we just accept it and thats it (doesn't matter, its still good)

However, this generation... well you get the comparison-this newer generation of TV watchers and producers have and will have shows that are crisp, and current and like clear precision in what they view. With that in mind, people can only tolerate BW for so long.

You have to stay current, you have to upgrade if you want it to stay at number 1, without sinking into that Honeymooners bracket (beloved but horrible to watch) after all, IF THERE WAS ANY SHOW TO INVEST DYNAMIC COLORING into, the number one ranked show is it!! :D If its good in BW it would just as good if not better in color IF ITS DONE RIGHT. Lucy can't go around with purple lips and hair- It shouldn't be dibble dabbled with lol- the coloring process should be top notch- like that of Scotland OR BETTER, seeing its been years since thats come out.

No one is trying to hide the fact that the show is originally in BW, we aren't neglecting the BW as if we are ashamed of it lol Its just a necessary move in preservation and I think Desi would be for it 101 percent.

OMG HOW I AGREE.

Its like turning on NBC, watching SMASHED and then afterwards a silent 1919 film short comes on, about 25 minutes - with little restoration...yes, in 1982, the average viewer would watch, now within 2 seconds, that viewer is probably onto channel surf through the 5989 channels they have and will leave it to youtube or google to see that old movie..

ILL has the ability to march on with pop culture, as long as it stays afloat with modern TV picture quality like 1080color HD.

IMO Its only a matter of time before TV retires Lucy and leaves it up to DVDs and streaming networks to provide it, UNLESS it gets a make over, and HD is not only it. Don't get me wrong, its AWESOME seeing the details on hulu, but it needs color to keep up, plain n simple. I think people will get a little tired of watching an HD vibrantly colored TV show and then see the fuzzy, sped up, dark, black and white copy...its lasted over 60 years off of a generation who grew up with it being that way originally, and so an alternative has never been thought of when watching, we just accept it and thats it (doesn't matter, its still good)

However, this generation of TV watchers and producers have shows that a crisp, and current and like clear precision in what they view.

You have to stay current, you have to upgrade if you want it to stay at number 1, without sinking into that Honeymooners bracket (beloved but horrible to watch) after all, IF THERE WAS ANY SHOW TO INVEST DYNAMIC COLORING into, the number one ranked show is it!! :D If its good in BW it would just as good if not better in color IF ITS DONE RIGHT. Lucy can't go around with purple lips and hair- It shouldn't be dibble dabbled with lol- the coloring process should be top notch- like that of Scotland OR BETTER, seeing its been years since thats come out.

No one is trying to hide the fact that the show is originally in BW, we aren't neglecting the BW as if we are ashamed of it lol Its just a necessary move in preservation and I think Desi would be for it 101 percent.

Thanks for stating it so well, those behind the time black and white aficionados should learn from your wisdom, LOL!

If it makes you feel better, Elaine Stritch, in her one woman show, used to tell the story of auditioning for The Golden Girls, over at CBS. When we all know the show was on NBC.

Maybe she was thinking of Designing Women? Around the same era... Another show she would have fit right in ...in. :lucyshock:

OMG HOW I AGREE.

Its like turning on NBC, watching SMASHED and then afterwards a silent 1919 Vaudeville short comes on, about 25 minutes - with little restoration, sped up, flickering and fuzzy...yes, in 1982, the average viewer would watch, now days- within 2 seconds, that viewer is probably onto channel surf through the 5989 channels they have and will leave it to youtube or google to see that old movie..

ILL has the ability to march on with pop culture, as long as it stays afloat with modern TV picture quality (1080color HD?)

IMO Its only a matter of time before TV retires Lucy and leaves it up to DVDs/Blu-Ray and streaming networks to provide it, UNLESS it gets a make over, and HD is not only it. Don't get me wrong, its AWESOME seeing the details on hulu, but it needs color to keep up, plain n simple. I think people will get a little tired of watching an HD vibrantly colored TV show and then see the fuzzy, sped up, dark, black and white copy...its lasted over 60 years off of a generation who grew up with it being that way originally, and so an alternative has never been thought of when watching, we just accept it and thats it (doesn't matter, its still good)

However, this generation... well you get the comparison-this newer generation of TV watchers and producers have and will have shows that are crisp, and current and like clear precision in what they view. With that in mind, people can only tolerate BW for so long.

"The comediens to whom Lucy has been compared, those who achieved iconic status worldwide...all capered before the Technicolor era...The clowns who came to prominence after 1960, when color became the norm rather than the exception, have by and large been supernovas, glowing brilliantly - and then vanishing in the void. There is something incomptatable about humor and color; the palette calls attention to itself, instead of to the jokes...Lucy stays eternally comic because of the vital, frenzied, irreproducible years when the Ball of Fire got it all down in black and white." - Stefan Kanfer, Ball of Fire

My 2 centavos:

Of all the series that spanned the 60s transformation from b/w to color, the best episodes were the b/w ones (Andy Griffith, Bewitched, beverly Hillbillies) but I can't tell if this had as much to do with color vs b/w or the fact that by the time they switched to color they were slightly past their prime and in the cases of those three series, they lost Don Knotts, Alice Pearce and Bea Benedaret.

I leave The Lucy Show out of this, because, while I love the 1st season, I am partial to season 2 in all its blue eye-shadowed glory.

I'm fine with b/w ILL but am interested in seeing colorization. It's come quite a ways since the early days, when it looked like one of those ads in the back pages of comic books that said "turn your black and white TV to COLOR" for 50 cents---which I assume was some color gel you put over your screen.

My ILL DVDs are as clear as I need them to be, so unless there are irresistible bonus features I don't need blu-ray, But when it comes to Lucy I lack "Sales Resistance". You should see how many versions of the PD Lucy Shows I have INCLUDING "the Lucy Show" lunchbox! If some of the ILL episodes on the DVD releases were not as clear as others (and I hadn't noticed), it's because of the film print they were working from; and I don't think blu-ray can help that.

But Inspector Watson is always scouting better prints. I don't think people are aware of the lengths Tom has gone to to bring us what we have. I'll pause here so everyone can sing...because he IS a jolly good fellow. (though "jolly" might be a bit of a stretch)

I'm fascinated by "Let's Talk to Lucy" because it shows the real Lucille Ball. She's genuinely interested in her guests and tailors her interview to the guest's accomplishments and their interests outside show business. And unlike a lot of spotlight hogging celebrities, she never brings herself and her monumental achievements into the discussion. You'd never know they were being interviewed by the most popular comedienne of all time still at her peak, and the most powerful women in Hollywood at the time.

The whole kids of all ages tagline is pathetic. Heaven forbid today's spoiled little brats have to endure the indecency of seeing things in shades of grey! Oh the inhumanity!

Its more the marketing that bugs me than the release. I think that if any episode should be colorized its the Christmas one. Hopefully they did the whole thing this time and not just the wraparound segments. But this better be it. I really hope they don't do the whole series. So unnecessary.

I'm with you on that stupid "For kids of all ages" tag which makes ILL sound like some simple-minded program, rather like that long ago notorious remark from some tv executive back in the late 70s something like programming for people under 6 and over 60 is the same thing. Though it is fair to say a portion of the "audience" isn't smart, I wonder if some clowns will be returning these sets thinking they bought color cartoons.

I'm not opposed to colorizing as long as the original B&W episodes are available - prefably in the same set. I don't see ILL leaving tv though because it's not available in color, surely as long as there are a few channels who will show B&W movies (and there are tens of thousands of such films still available) the classic B&W tv shows are safe. Perhaps someday we'll be getting a true classic tv equivalent to Turner Classic Movies and of course Lucy would certainly be welcomed there.

OMG HOW I AGREE.

In 1982 the general public certainly wouldn't have watched a 1919 film - or even a 1959 one - in prime time. Prejudice against "old antiques" have always existed, even in the silent era toward earlier silent films!

I don't think "color" is going to win Lucy that many new fans for the simple reason that no matter how you dress it up or renovate it, it's still a program from another era and there will always be a large segment of the general public that is not going to give a hoot for something from their parents' or grandparents' era. And for the audience that is there for it "nostalgia" is a key ingredient, CBS knows what it is doing putting the Lucy special on in the sentimental Christmas season rather than November sweeps.

"People can only tolerate B&W for so long"? Didn't a B&W silent movie win the Best Picture not that long ago? You are correct that there are a fairly larger number of idiots out there who immediately change the channel when surfing and hitting a B&W program but I'm not in favor of dumbing down a piece of art so the masses will get it. Of course I'm not a entertainment corporation executive either, though.

In 1982 the general public certainly wouldn't have watched a 1919 film - or even a 1959 one - in prime time. Prejudice against "old antiques" have always existed, even in the silent era toward earlier silent films!

I don't think "color" is going to win Lucy that many new fans for the simple reason that no matter how you dress it up or renovate it, it's still a program from another era and there will always be a large segment of the general public that is not going to give a hoot for something from their parents' or grandparents' era. And for the audience that is there for it "nostalgia" is a key ingredient, CBS knows what it is doing putting the Lucy special on in the sentimental Christmas season rather than November sweeps.

"People can only tolerate B&W for so long"? Didn't a B&W silent movie win the Best Picture not that long ago? You are correct that there are a fairly larger number of idiots out there who immediately change the channel when surfing and hitting a B&W program but I'm not in favor of dumbing down a piece of art so the masses will get it. Of course I'm not a entertainment corporation executive either, though.

Beautifully put!

I think the issue with the Bewitched and Jeannie sets were that color was released separately from B&W. It wasn't long before B&W vanished from shelves all together. I just fear the same would happen to Lucy.

Does anyone know if the recent Lucy colorizations were applied to standard definition transfers or hi-def ones? Chances are its much more expensive to colorize anything for blu ray...

"The comediens to whom Lucy has been compared, those who achieved iconic status worldwide...all capered before the Technicolor era...The clowns who came to prominence after 1960, when color became the norm rather than the exception, have by and large been supernovas, glowing brilliantly - and then vanishing in the void. There is something incomptatable about humor and color; the palette calls attention to itself, instead of to the jokes...Lucy stays eternally comic because of the vital, frenzied, irreproducible years when the Ball of Fire got it all down in black and white." - Stefan Kanfer, Ball of Fire

To that, I reply, B U L L S H I T ! Was Lucy not funny in Yours mine and ours, in color, red hair, red lipstick, blue eyes, flashy clothes, all in brilliant color. She was just as funny as she had been in ILL in black and white. Did comedy movies that came later lose their comedic punch as opposed to the black and white ones of another era? Utter nonsense!

Archived