Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

No, it is simply an update in a higher definition. Nothing is re-colorized. This is a quote from Gregg:

"The Christmas show (wraparounds only) was colorized in 1989 in standard definition. The only "fix" CBS is working on is to try to somehow "combine" the restored 1080p black and white version with the colorized 1989 version (without "re-colorizing" anything) to get pretty much the same colorization as the existing one, but with much sharper resolution and far fewer digital artifacts, which should make for a much better viewing experience. That's why they're doing it - not to try to match colors to the Jamestown sets or anything else. Unlike in the 1990 broadcast, the black and white flashbacks will be the restored, hi-def versions. The flashback scenes won't be colorized for this release."

I just wanna see the pimples on the faces of those Chineese statues on the mantel, tis all.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagreed with Ebert on a number of things, it's true. But he had a point about this one. And keep in mind he's primarily speaking of the early days when they painted on those ghastly pastels to videotape. Ever seen the early colorization of Heidi with Shirley Temple Fox issued on video? The color flickers in and out all the time! The updated one for DVD was at least consistent, if not terribly realistic.

ALL the early colorization efforts on ANY film stank, but they do it much better NOW.

I disagreed with Ebert on a number of things, it's true. But he had a point about this one. And keep in mind he's primarily speaking of the early days when they painted on those ghastly pastels to videotape. Ever seen the early colorization of Heidi with Shirley Temple Fox issued on video? The color flickers in and out all the time! The updated one for DVD was at least consistent, if not terribly realistic.

I can't even wrap my head on H O W they do it all, I mean when I saw that cigarette smoke on ILL's colored Christmas show, I was frankly much surprised they could do that.

I'm done, Claude... I'm leaving it to you. I'm too lazy to write an article.

But... Lotus Bud... just look at this beautiful coloring job and tell me that colorized work looks bad and will ruin it's originality.

972334_443248199106884_1799252110_n.jpg

Yes, the process has improved a great deal and it's very pretty. Still images and captures I don't have an issue with for illustrative purposes. But more attention to detail can be applied to stills than moving ones. Scotland and Italian Movie didn't look this good. To me it will always be extraneous ornamentation. But thanks for sharing, that is a fine picture example.

Yes, the process has improved a great deal and it's very pretty. Still images and captures I don't have an issue with for illustrative purposes. But more attention to detail can be applied to stills than moving ones. Scotland and Italian Movie didn't look this good. To me it will always be extraneous ornamentation. But thanks for sharing, that is a fine picture example.

AND SCOTLAND DOES LOOK THIS GOOD!

One particular problem I have with the three colourized example we have available (excluding the colourized segment of L.A. At Last) is colourizers have a weird tendency to make Desi far darker than he actually was.

But you've read the books, he's always described that way, as being so dark that even Lucy's grandpa first thought he was B L A C K .

One particular problem I have with the three colourized example we have available (excluding the colourized segment of L.A. At Last) is colourizers have a weird tendency to make Desi far darker than he actually was.

Did you watch Legend Films' colorization of the Westinghouse special? The colors look way off in that example. Desi looks like he's wearing bronze body paint. And Italian Movie was overly saturated so everybody looked washed out. Scotland was the best of the bunch but still not perfect. No fault of the artists but the process.

J C didn't you read where he was always at the beach, getting the sun, in the pool etc . . . My dad used to sport a tan from just sitting in the wind outside in MAY for corn sakes.

In how many episodes is Ricky Ricardo just coming in from the beach or pool? Three to four Hollywood episodes? How much of a tan is he supposed to have living in Manhattan and working under the cover of night? :P

In how many episodes is Ricky Ricardo just coming in from the beach or pool? Three to four Hollywood episodes? How much of a tan is he supposed to have living in Manhattan and working under the cover of night? :P

I'm not talking about on the show, I mean in his personal life, was he supposed to bleach himself regularly? Maybe when he washed out the dye from his hair after every taping as is said in many books, maybe in the shower it darkened the rest of his body?

I'm not talking about on the show, I mean in his personal life, was he supposed to bleach himself regularly? Maybe when he washed out the dye from his hair after every taping as is said in many books, maybe in the shower it darkened the rest of his body?

Bottom line: When you watch I Love Lucy does "Ricky Ricardo" look several shades darker than Lucy, Ethel and Fred? No. Unless you have an eye problem.

"I wouldn't laugh if I were you, sir. How do you comb your hair, with a towel?" -- Jim Bailey

;)

Hey, I wasn't insulting your pictures of yourself, I just remember that for some reason, they usually depicted YOU with RED eyes, maybe you're a lush and it was just an alcoholic stupor or you took the red eye to Jamestown I dunno. Check back and look at the pics, I think you even mentioned it yourself one time. Hey, didn't you take any pics on this last visit?

Hey, I wasn't insulting your pictures of yourself, I just remember that for some reason, they usually depicted YOU with RED eyes, maybe you're a lush and it was just an alcoholic stupor or you took the red eye to Jamestown I dunno. Check back and look at the pics, I think you even mentioned it yourself one time. Hey, didn't you take any piocs on this last visit?

I'm referencing Jim Bailey and the preceding joke was "Your hair looks like a sunset through bloodshot eyes."

Bottom line: When you watch I Love Lucy does "Ricky Ricardo" look several shades darker than Lucy, Ethel and Fred? No. Unless you have an eye problem.

But he D O E S , Lucy always looks like she's seen a ghost, too much powder, even though she tried telling Nathalie Shaefer that she wasn't wearing any, LOL! So, next to her, he looks like Harry Belafonte. Remember the first time she touched him and it made such a big uproar? No wait, that was the I Know a Place girl, right?

Archived