KAREN BLACK DIES AT 74

C L A U D E

She succumbed after a battle with pancreatic cancer which started in 2010. After an operation that removed one third of her pancreas, she then had chemo and radiation and was declared cancer free, only to have the cancer return just this past June. She was only 74. She had starred in many movies, even nominated for an Oscar for her role in Five Easy Pieces with Jack Nicholson.

She also had roles in movies ranging from Nashville to Burnt Offerings. Also Easy Rider and The Great Gatsby, Hitchcock's Family Plot, as well as many horror films. She also had roles on some TV shows like Law and Order.

I loved her in the highly rated Triology of Terror ABC Movie of the Week. It's one of the best made-for-tv movies.

That's too bad. I was reading an article the other day about her brave battle and how her family and caregivers had no idea when the end would come -- as she was given 24 hours to live back in June. What a fighter!

I know, cancer of the pancreas is usually the one that makes them go the fastest. Imagine, hearing they give you only 24 hours.

I loved her in the highly rated Triology of Terror ABC Movie of the Week. It's one of the best made-for-tv movies.

Yeah, I read but forgot to mention that one. I remember her in every single role she had. She was the mom in Burnt Offerings, where Bette Davis died.

Yeah, I read but forgot to mention that one. I remember her in every single role she had. She was the mom in Burnt Offerings, where Bette Davis died.

I always enjoyed her quirky performances so this is sad news.

Possibly her most iconic role, maybe even over FIVE EASY PIECES, was as the stewardess in the so-bad-it's-very-good AIRPORT 75 starring Karen, Charlton Heston, and Miss Gloria Swanson. This one was burlesqued brillantly on TCBS with Carol playing both Karen and Gloria's roles. There's a book on 70's films called THE STEWARDESS IS FLYING THE PLANE, a reference to Karen's character in the film.

Her best film IMO was the startlingly fine adaptation of Nathanel West's DAY OF THE LOCUST with one of the most unforgettable climaxes in film history.

She was fairly big in the early 70's, one of the few women stars to emerge in movies in that period, it's very curious how her career kind of fell to a minor level by the end of the decade with not much of major notice after that other than the excellent COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN also starring the not disimilar Sandy Dennis and which launched Cher's career as a major actress. Karen completely steals this film though and I think it's probably the best portrayal of a transsexual ever in a film, even above Felicity Hoffman in TRANSAMERICA. Kind of a shock how this film did nothing to reverse Karen's fortunes as an actress. She seemed an ideal personality to transform into a leading character actress as she got older but it somehow didn't happen. RIP Karen Black.

I always enjoyed her quirky performances so this is sad news.

Possibly her most iconic role, maybe even over FIVE EASY PIECES, was as the stewardess in the so-bad-it's-very-good AIRPORT 75 starring Karen, Charlton Heston, and Miss Gloria Swanson. This one was burlesqued brillantly on TCBS with Carol playing both Karen and Gloria's roles. There's a book on 70's films called THE STEWARDESS IS FLYING THE PLANE, a reference to Karen's character in the film.

Her best film IMO was the startlingly fine adaptation of Nathanel West's DAY OF THE LOCUST with one of the most unforgettable climaxes in film history.

She was fairly big in the early 70's, one of the few women stars to emerge in movies in that period, it's very curious how her career kind of fell to a minor level by the end of the decade with not much of major notice after that other than the excellent COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN also starring the not disimilar Sandy Dennis and which launched Cher's career as a major actress. Karen completely steals this film though and I think it's probably the best portrayal of a transsexual ever in a film, even above Felicity Hoffman in TRANSAMERICA. Kind of a shock how this film did nothing to reverse Karen's fortunes as an actress. She seemed an ideal personality to transform into a leading character actress as she got older but it somehow didn't happen. RIP Karen Black.

O M G I had forgotten about all those OTHER performances, wonder why they weren`t mentioned in any of her eulogies I read. Although I haven`t seen LOCUST in many years. What was the ending again.

Archived