LucyFest 2014 -- Scheduled for August 6 - 10

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something. I don't see her show on the schedule or the Caroline thing.

On re-reading, I see what HC means. <_<

Lucie Arnaz will return to the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival as the featured musical guest during Jay Leno’s performance on August 9th.

Curses.

Most of you have already posted feelings about Leno's appearance; I'm not wild about him, either; BUT, coming to Jamestown?????? He will PACKKKKKK the place!!!! Not even Carol Burnett has forced herself to come here....sorry, Carol... What I can't figure out is how they got 100 people to the Gateway to hear the 'big announcement'!!!! Hostages????

I've added partial Post-Journal article of 4/10/14 to chronology, as such:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Jaywalkin' - Lucille Ball Comedy Festival to Feature Leno, Tom Cotter, Lucie Arnaz and Much More - by Dusten Rader - “What better way to honor Lucille Ball's legacy than by hosting an annual celebration featuring top-notch comedians such as Jan Leno and Tom Cotter and by developing the gateway to her hometown? More than 100 area residents gathered at the Gateway Train Station to witness the unveiling of lineup for WNY's largest annual comedy festival. In addition to Leno's August 9 performance at Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, and Tom Cotter's Friday, August 8 appearance at The Reg Lenna Center For The Arts, the event featured a complete listing of the reasons why the 2014 Lucille Ball Comedy Festival will be a can't-miss success,” published for this date in 2014.

Just loving the description in the Ret Turner Fashion show---

The show will feature some of Lucille Ball’s most iconic costumes, as well as featured looks from the Lucy Desi Museum and Center for Comedy’s new Vintage Boutique fashion line.

Oh good, now they're going to turn into a clothing store instead of a comedy hall of fame!! Wooo!

Ooh! Groovy. Maybe they will have some of the set designs that were on display at Universal.

Yeah, those were so cool, they had them last year at the Members only event... along with John Wayne's pants... lol.

Post-Journal, each day, has a box question of the day; yesterday's was

ARE YOU EXCITED JAY LENO IS SHEDULED TO APPEAR AT THE LUCILLE BALL COMEDY FESTIVAL?

YES 67% - as of 9:48 a.m. EST 185
NO   33% -                                   93

WHEN I GET THE ACTUAL FIGURES; i.e. # OF VOTERS, AND THEY MAY KEEP COMING IN A DAY OR SO, I SHALL GIVE THEM TO YOU.

P.S.  I SHOULD add this is a higher than usual number of 'voters'; but, I'm sure, the 'usual suspects' of NEGATIVE VOTERS are within the numbers above.  This is, however, in my humble opinion, an exciting, positive reaction from our locals.  Now, if the world could only vote!!! :D  ^_^  ;)  B)  

Am I missing something. I don't see her show on the schedule or the Caroline thing.

Caroline Rhea's show is up on the website now. It's on Thursday night.

I see the trivia contest is called "Lucille Ball Trivia" rather than "I Love Lucy Trivia." That would be in an interesting change of pace if correct.

I see the trivia contest is called "Lucille Ball Trivia" rather than "I Love Lucy Trivia." That would be in an interesting change of pace if correct.

I hope they go back to the old format, however. Last year's was pandemonium.

That's what they called it last year and it was just ILL trivia. It does say it's back at the Robert H Jackson Center... so hopefully it is back to the old way. However, I think they went to the on paper route because you didnt nessecarily get to go in the old trivia contest... because they drew names. They want to be fair! ;) lol   

Hey, but I am still waiting for this fashion line thing... I want to be seen in all the latest Lucy-Desi Museum garb, lolol.

Most of you have already posted feelings about Leno's appearance; I'm not wild about him, either; BUT, coming to Jamestown?????? He will PACKKKKKK the place!!!! [in additiom to my comments regarding this statement, today:

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Crowd Control - JSB Arena Joins Lucy Fest With Leno - by Dennis Phillips - [Partial quote 'splains it ALL]  "The demand for this show, the magnitude of it, necessitates that we move into a larger venue", (Journey).  'We can present the show with 2200 seats as opposed to the Reg Lenna with 1270 seats'

(back to my comments....again) 

I believe this with allow those of you who have not been to Jamestown to realize the larger the 'personality', the more room we need; what better place than the 'intimate' Ice Arena, in the round?  The Arena is on the corner of Third, immediately up the block from the Gateway Train Station, and already houses, in an intimate setting, a local 'hotspot' for up-and-coming comedians, an 'arena club', 'Wits n' Giggles Stand-Up Comedy series each first Friday of the month. 

Another plus is the fact that it may be hotter than blazes in August (we ALL hope!!! after this extremely long, cold winter) and the Ice Arena is always, by its very nature, cool!!!! :D 

I want to add another 'editorial' comment - I was at the Reg for the John Edward Show, a fundraiser for the L-D Center, in its founding year, 2002; the Reg was every seat sold out!!!!  That's 1270 folks!!!!  John Edward donated most of his 'earnings' that night to the Center (he still pays his crew, donchano!) - to that, I add the following question:  WONDER IF LENO, WHO IS A MULTI-PROBABLY- BILLIONAIRE, WILL DONATE HIS FEES????  WILL BE INTERESTING TO FIND OUT. 

Respectfully submitted, JK

I see there is a ball. Will it be masquerade?

Also I'm not seeing an auction. Did they have one last year.

To my knowledge they don't put the auction up as an event any more in the schedule. But, yes, there was one last year at the train station. As I recall, Gregg put in a few items.

The Post-Journal - Opinion - Editorial Comment - Lucy Fest:  Bigger And Better - "It's not easy to make people laugh.  That's perhaps why recent lineups for Lucy Fest, are so impressive.  This year brings Jay Leno, the most notable Lucy Fest headliner yet.  It is indeed difficult to make people laugh.  It's also difficult to continue making an event bigger and better each year.  Lucy Fest organizers are succeeding on both counts," [excerpts from this positive editorial] published for this date in 2014.

I see there is a ball. Will it be masquerade?

Also I'm not seeing an auction. Did they have one last year.

As far as I know, the Lucille "Ball" is masquerade. 

I didn't see the listed either.  I kinda hope they do one again this year.  Hopefully it'll be better run this year than it was last year...better description of items, no last-minute changes of ending times, etc.

I'm disappointed Gregg Oppenheimer isn't on the schedule, but maybe next year.

Archived