LucyFest 2014 -- Scheduled for August 6 - 10

I found out that Dykeman Young Gallery is planning to do another Lucy-related exhibit in August 2015.  They want to focus on the fans and their experiences...why they come to Jamestown, why they're fans of Lucy, what are their experiences with Lucy, Jamestown, etc.  They're looking for input, ideas, and items for the exhibit and are asking help from the fans.  If you want to participate or have any recommendations, contact Dykeman Young Gallery at dykemanyoung@windstream.net or 716-483-5772.

Very cool! Thanks for letting us know!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out that Dykeman Young Gallery is planning to do another Lucy-related exhibit in August 2015.  They want to focus on the fans and their experiences...why they come to Jamestown, why they're fans of Lucy, what are their experiences with Lucy, Jamestown, etc.  They're looking for input, ideas, and items for the exhibit and are asking help from the fans.  If you want to participate or have any recommendations, contact Dykeman Young Gallery at dykemanyoung@windstream.net or 716-483-5772.

Very groovy!

I'm awaiting each of YOUR [you know who you are!!] 're-caps' of your own review of this year's Festival - remember, going to print VERY SOON - last chance for The Lounge to sing out on a personal level - so please, in next few days, get posting....thanks....loving each of you, JK 

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Lucy's Livin' Large - Comedy Festival Draws Record Crowds, Ticket Sales In Biggest Event To Date, by Gavin Paterniti - “As it turns out, a lot of people still love Lucy.  Approximately 13,000* attendees from 37 states helped to make the 2014 Lucille Ball Comedy Festival the biggest one yet.  The unprecedented number of ticket sales for this year's festival led to a 45.2 percent increase in gross sales over last year, setting a new record.  In addition to the star-studded lineup in terms of entertainment, this year also featured larger and more densely-packed activities, with at least one activity held at any one time during each hour of the five-day event,” published for this date in 2014.

*realistically, this no doubt counts tickets sold for all events, while most folks are attending many events, rather than being singled out in numbers.  I know you know this; but, it's nice to see it in print ;)  :fabrary: -jk

I will write up something soon -- but after coming to the brink of burnout with my typing-heavy job I promised my mother I wouldn't type anything significant from the Wednesday through the Sunday. lol

Your "You Are There" reports from the festivals are always a treat for the reader here of this WUNDAFUL site, boss!! Looking forward to full report whenever the reporter you are is ready to share!! ;):HALKING::peachonthebeach:

Alrighty, then.

Day 1:

I got in on Wednesday afternoon, checked in, and headed right down to our favorite frame store in town, where a Lucy "collector" (Mr. Ric Wyman) sells his items. Brock and his mom were already there, and he had picked up a few items. I went back a few times throughout the week, but don't recall when, so I will just tell you what I purchased now. I bought one of 'Mr. and Mrs. Morton's'

monogrammed ashtrays (from the Heritage Auction), the "Picture Post" with the color photo of Van, Lucy and Desi on the cover, and a few photos.

I then headed on down to the Lucy art class, which was taught by Gary Peters, Jr. (the man who created all the amazing murals in town, with his father). This was my second year participating in the class, and once again, he was a very well-spoken, informative, and just a nice guy in general. It was a lot of fun, I painted a photo from the Nick Yapp book. After that, my mom and I went to the "Finding Lucy" lunch. They had the miniature set that was used in the documentary (which can be seen in my Flickr gallery). It was different than I expected it would be, but it held up well considering its age. They served lasagna (I know you are all very excited about their WONDAFUL dinners, lol). While we ate, they showed the documentary, which was a very good quality - it didn't even look like it was a VHS transfer. I left early, however, because I've seen the documentary about a dozen times.

My next stop was the Dykeman-Young Gallery, which was just spectacular. I'll talk about it more later, since I went a second time with Brock and Jimmy.

Our final event for the evening was the Lucille "Ball". Now, this was a bit of a disappointment, sadly. It was held in the Crystal Ballroom at the Hotel Jamestown, where I learned Lucy and Desi had the reception for their Forever Darling premiere (correct me if I am incorrect). The turnout was not very good, only about 100, which is sad because it could have been so much better if they had held it later in the week. The general consensus was that the food was terrible.... interesting to say the least. Diane and Rhonda arrived about half and hour or so into the event, Diane was doing the "Friends of the Friendless" routine - saying that everybody had forgotten her birthday, and of course she was shocked to find us all there for her, lol. Peter E. gave her a .. funny.. sign that said "It's five o'clock somewhere!". But, anyways, they were both better than ever, always wonderful to have them there.

Diane then proceeded to cut her birthday cakes and then they both walked around for a little while, taking photos and whatnot. The costume contest began after that, many of the costumes were amazing (The two-headed dragon, WOW! , the maharaja of Franistan and her aid, the alien costumes from "Lucy is Envious"). Brock has some great photos, I'm sure, (PLEASE SHARE!!  :lucyhehe:  ). The judges consisted of Journey, Diane and Rhonda. Journey was wearing her garb from the Lucy-Desi Center's NEW fashion boutique based off of ILL fashion! (They plugged that all weekend).

The event ended after what seemed like an eternity (I believe we were there until around 11:15) and we all headed back to the hotel. I think Jimmy, Brock, Gregg and I were the only ones at the ball from the lounge.

I will post day two in a little bit, but I have to head off for now.

Alrighty, then.

Day 1:

I got in on Wednesday afternoon, checked in, and headed right down to our favorite frame store in town, where a Lucy "collector" (Mr. Ric Wyman) sells his items. Brock and his mom were already there, and he had picked up a few items. I went back a few times throughout the week, but don't recall when, so I will just tell you what I purchased now. I bought one of 'Mr. and Mrs. Morton's'

monogrammed ashtrays (from the Heritage Auction), the "Picture Post" with the color photo of Van, Lucy and Desi on the cover, and a few photos.

I then headed on down to the Lucy art class, which was taught by Gary Peters, Jr. (the man who created all the amazing murals in town, with his father). This was my second year participating in the class, and once again, he was a very well-spoken, informative, and just a nice guy in general. It was a lot of fun, I painted a photo from the Nick Yapp book. After that, my mom and I went to the "Finding Lucy" lunch. They had the miniature set that was used in the documentary (which can be seen in my Flickr gallery). It was different than I expected it would be, but it held up well considering its age. They served lasagna (I know you are all very excited about their WONDAFUL dinners, lol). While we ate, they showed the documentary, which was a very good quality - it didn't even look like it was a VHS transfer. I left early, however, because I've seen the documentary about a dozen times.

My next stop was the Dykeman-Young Gallery, which was just spectacular. I'll talk about it more later, since I went a second time with Brock and Jimmy.

Our final event for the evening was the Lucille "Ball". Now, this was a bit of a disappointment, sadly. It was held in the Crystal Ballroom at the Hotel Jamestown, where I learned Lucy and Desi had the reception for their Forever Darling premiere (correct me if I am incorrect). The turnout was not very good, only about 100, which is sad because it could have been so much better if they had held it later in the week. The general consensus was that the food was terrible.... interesting to say the least. Diane and Rhonda arrived about half and hour or so into the event, Diane was doing the "Friends of the Friendless" routine - saying that everybody had forgotten her birthday, and of course she was shocked to find us all there for her, lol. Peter E. gave her a .. funny.. sign that said "It's five o'clock somewhere!". But, anyways, they were both better than ever, always wonderful to have them there.

Diane then proceeded to cut her birthday cakes and then they both walked around for a little while, taking photos and whatnot. The costume contest began after that, many of the costumes were amazing (The two-headed dragon, WOW! , the maharaja of Franistan and her aid, the alien costumes from "Lucy is Envious"). Brock has some great photos, I'm sure, (PLEASE SHARE!!  :lucyhehe:  ). The judges consisted of Journey, Diane and Rhonda. Journey was wearing her garb from the Lucy-Desi Center's NEW fashion boutique based off of ILL fashion! (They plugged that all weekend).

The event ended after what seemed like an eternity (I believe we were there until around 11:15) and we all headed back to the hotel. I think Jimmy, Brock, Gregg and I were the only ones at the ball from the lounge.

I will post day two in a little bit, but I have to head off for now.

I'll have a 'gander' at this tomrrow, love. and thanks for posting the re-cap....lovng you, JK

• 5 months later...

As a follow-up/reminder, Michael Dykeman of Dykeman Young Gallery is planning to do another Lucy-related exhibit in August of this year.  He wants to focus on the fans and their experiences...why they come to Jamestown, why they're fans of Lucy, what are their experiences with Lucy, Jamestown, etc.  They're looking for input, ideas, and items for the exhibit and are asking help from the fans.  If you want to participate or have any recommendations, contact Dykeman Young Gallery at dykemanyoung@windstream.net or 716-483-5772.  Please share this in other threads here on the Lounge and in other venues too.  Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPG3xI_iekI for a tour of Dykeman Young Gallery's 2014 "Lucy, I'm Home" exhibit.

As a follow-up/reminder, Michael Dykeman of Dykeman Young Gallery is planning to do another Lucy-related exhibit in August of this year.  He wants to focus on the fans and their experiences...why they come to Jamestown, why they're fans of Lucy, what are their experiences with Lucy, Jamestown, etc.  They're looking for input, ideas, and items for the exhibit and are asking help from the fans.  If you want to participate or have any recommendations, contact Dykeman Young Gallery at dykemanyoung@windstream.net or 716-483-5772.  Please share this in other threads here on the Lounge and in other venues too.  Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPG3xI_iekI for a tour of Dykeman Young Gallery's 2014 "Lucy, I'm Home" exhibit.

Thanks for this information, guy!  Loving you, JK 

Archived