'I Love Lucy' is a terrible show

Mot Morenzi

http://thehathorlegacy.com/i-hate-lucy/

http://www.who2.com/blog/2011/08/why-i-hate-lucy

Wow. Never knew so many people had issues with her.

There will always be a few people ... in any case. I am just glad that Lucy is loved by the majority of people! :)

I Love Lucy or any other sitcom should not be taken seriously or be a guide to everyday living as they are meant to make us laugh. Granted, some characters or situations are exaggerated a bit and can be over-the-top but it is all in good fun. That was I Love Lucy. It was never meant to be a social message. If it was, then it would have not been I Love Lucy! It would have been something else. And yes, I Love Lucy does reflect the time it was in but so do a number of sitcoms even recent ones. Does that make them unwatchable? I don't think so. I guess some people obviously can't take comedy. No stretch of imagination at all. How boring.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will always be a few people ... in any case. I am just glad that Lucy is loved by the majority of people! :)

I Love Lucy or any other sitcom should not be taken seriously or be a guide to everyday living as they are meant to make us laugh. Granted, some characters or situations are exaggerated a bit and can be over-the-top but it is all in good fun. That was I Love Lucy. It was never meant to be a social message. If it was, then it would have not been I Love Lucy! It would have been something else. And yes, I Love Lucy does reflect the time it was in but so do a number of sitcoms even recent ones. Does that make them unwatchable? I don't think so. I guess some people obviously can't take comedy. No stretch of imagination at all. How boring.

Well said. Especially the feminist writer, she seems to see everything but the point. Lucy does not speak for all women. She speaks for herself.

I Love Lucy or any other sitcom should not be taken seriously or be a guide to everyday living as they are meant to make us laugh. Granted, some characters or situations are exaggerated a bit and can be over-the-top but it is all in good fun. That was I Love Lucy. It was never meant to be a social message. If it was, then it would have not been I Love Lucy! It would have been something else. And yes, I Love Lucy does reflect the time it was in but so do a number of sitcoms even recent ones. Does that make them unwatchable? I don't think so. I guess some people obviously can't take comedy. No stretch of imagination at all. How boring.

So accurate. Like Lucy would say, TV was becoming too serious. She wanted to take people away for awhile to make people laugh. I Love Lucy wasn't a political statement. It did make huge impacts on society, we all can admit. This show was filmed 60 years ago, the world on women's rights were a completely different world, people forget that. Also these articles proved to me once more that people still think Lucille Ball is seriously the Lucy character. Ugh.

All I got out of these articles is that these people are ignorant and judge mental.

Those "I hate Lucy" writers may benefit from a spoonful of Vitameatavegamin, because they don't sound like happy peppy people! More like unhappy & morose. :P  Heck, give 'em each a whole bottle, then have them watch a few shows again. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Claude, the one time I saw Gary doing his warm up schtick was on one of the DVD bonus features when he didn't know he was being filmed. I kept wondering how in the world he made a living at it before he met Lucy! Soooooooo monotone & boring (sorry Gary) & I couldn't wait for the clip to be over.

Joey, Drew Carey hosted "Whose Line is It Anyway?". Is that the show you were thinking of? I used to laugh a lot whenever I watched it :marionstrong: .

Joey, Drew Carey hosted "Whose Line is It Anyway?". Is that the show you were thinking of? I used to laugh a lot whenever I watched it :marionstrong: .

No hun, Cuddles called it (see previous), it was "Power of 10" and I liked it. :D

Doesn't it ever hit you guys how amazing it is when you stop and think about the fact that ILL is perhaps one of if not the only sitcom from way back when -- the only other one I can think of is The Honeymooners -- that's still running on broadcast television since its inception SIXTY-TWO years ago??!  It boggles my mind.... and speaks volumes, IMHO, about it's timeless quality! :lucyhmm:

Wow...i guess Lucy isnt everyone's cup of tea... A crazy insane stupid childish foolish woman is their take on the character... While i will admit these chatacteristics exist...if one watches a whole episode one sees the set up which allows the foolishness to play out sensibly...oh well...their loss on an entertaining and fun show

Doesn't it ever hit you guys how amazing it is when you stop and think about the fact that ILL is perhaps one of if not the only sitcom from way back when -- the only other one I can think of is The Honeymooners -- that's still running on broadcast television since its inception SIXTY-TWO years ago??! It boggles my mind.... and speaks volumes, IMHO, about it's timeless quality! :lucyhmm:

THANK YOU FOR THIS PERFECT POST! :D

Clearly there must be something good about this television series if it's lasted this long, people!

Those "I hate Lucy" writers may benefit from a spoonful of Vitameatavegamin, because they don't sound like happy peppy people! More like unhappy & morose. :P  Heck, give 'em each a whole bottle, then have them watch a few shows again. Oh well, you can't please everyone.

Claude, the one time I saw Gary doing his warm up schtick was on one of the DVD bonus features when he didn't know he was being filmed. I kept wondering how in the world he made a living at it before he met Lucy! Soooooooo monotone & boring (sorry Gary) & I couldn't wait for the clip to be over.

I'll never forget the first time I saw him on Ed Solomon, er Sullivan.  He had just married Lucy so now everybody wanted to see who he was and he was terrible but then again, most comedians back then were so so, they had to keep it clean and boring, especially when people like Jackie Mason and Richard Pryor and my favorite whose name escapes me at the moment who could make anything seem funny, even the most mundane things.

No hun, Cuddles called it (see previous), it was "Power of 10" and I liked it. :D

Doesn't it ever hit you guys how amazing it is when you stop and think about the fact that ILL is perhaps one of if not the only sitcom from way back when -- the only other one I can think of is The Honeymooners -- that's still running on broadcast television since its inception SIXTY-TWO years ago??!  It boggles my mind.... and speaks volumes, IMHO, about it's timeless quality! :lucyhmm:

Yes, absolutely amazing how TIMELESS it is.  Of course, same could be said for Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy or Marx Brothers and so on, of course Lucy was more topical and more people could relate to it.  Amazing also how critics respond to it over the decades.  All I keep reading lately is how Lucy was the child and Ricky her dad, never looked at it that way at all, don't know what they're talking about, guess everything's been said so they're overreaching.  Of course we all know the spanking, always wanting to get her way, lying and so on were childish traits, but still . . . to see a real life COUPLE being described as father and child, sheesh!

THANK YOU FOR THIS PERFECT POST! :D

Clearly there must be something good about this television series if it's lasted this long, people!

EXACTLY, listen NOTHING ever appeals to absolutely everybody, but this is one that surely came very close.  If seven out of ten people watching tv were tuned in to HER, the other 3 can go forth and reproduce.

Seems there's a tv station for everything nowadays, SO WHERE'S OUR DESILU CHANNEL, only Desilu programming all day and every day.

I keep asking the same question when it comes to classic television. It seems like all of the stations on basic cable run the same recent reruns over and over again, TV Land included.

Seems there's a tv station for everything nowadays, SO WHERE'S OUR DESILU CHANNEL, only Desilu programming all day and every day.

And here I thought that was my idea! It is such a waste considering all those shows were filmed for posterity and now they sit in a vault somewhere rotting (theoretically, anyway).... but given Hollywood's apparent disdain for history, etc. I'm not shocked....saddened certainly, but not surprised!

But to think we could be enjoying a channel akin to what Nick at Nite and TV Land started out like and could feature so many Desilu classics which simply don't air any more: December Bride, Pete & Gladys, Our Miss Brooks, Desilu Playhouse, Untouchables and on an on ....

Sigh!

And here I thought that was my idea! It is such a waste considering all those shows were filmed for posterity and now they sit in a vault somewhere rotting (theoretically, anyway).... but given Hollywood's apparent disdain for history, etc. I'm not shocked....saddened certainly, but not surprised!

But to think we could be enjoying a channel akin to what Nick at Nite and TV Land started out like and could feature so many Desilu classics which simply don't air any more: December Bride, Pete & Gladys, Our Miss Brooks, Desilu Playhouse, Untouchables and on an on ....

Sigh!

And about twenty or more shows too.  Maybe even fifty!

Archived