Little Ricky a coworker?

Luvsbway

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going to meet up another time to chat more. He had to run over and talk to a guy about his show at a nursing home. He might stop back and run trains with Charlie today.

I'm not sure on the whole story but the wife is back in Utah and he is in PA here on a 3 year contract. So it' s just himself.

Yesterday’s recap.

Visit went great. From the time he got out of his van with a Club Babalu polo shirt on I knew he was going to be a cool guy. He loved our g-scale train layout we had in the backyard and running in full force when he arrived. We spent a while outside talking about the trains and watching them run. He was very involved in an organization back in Oregon and is looking forward to exploring the train culture here on the East Coast. He is a die hard train guy and Charlie enjoyed talking to him. They could talk for days and compare notes. Joe is an IT guy and so is Charlie (hence working for the same contract company) and Joe enjoys photography too, which is Charlie’s second big love. It’s so crazy that the interests that both Charlie and I share all have a big connection to Joe.

We finally made it upstairs to my Lucy room and I showed him around a little. He had some of the cards/posters with him that he was going to be taking over to the nursing home later and we looked at those and some other pictures he had with him. He signed one for me. I also got him to sign the Baby Pictures episode page in my 50th Anniversary ILL book. He wasn’t sure if I want to ruin my nice book, but I said no, please sign, I have it authored signed in the front too so it would be a nice companion signature.

He could not stay too long as he was going over to a nursing home in the area to talk details with a guy about his upcoming show. I’m going to go see that later this month. Charlie and I invited him back for the afternoon to come run the trains. I had to go to a fiend’s party but Joe came back then in the afternoon with the son of the guy he is staying with here. The kid was about 11/12 years old and loved the trains. Charlie said they all hung out for about 2 hours talking trains and both guests got a training on how to run them and had fun controlling them on the railroad. From Charlie’s observations Joe seemed to be familiar with G-scale but only in a large club format, not in someone’s backyard and was quite impressed. He is going to come back sometime and bring some of the people he knows here that would appreciate the layout. We are going to get together more and talk more Lucy as with so much to talk about and a short time we didn’t get nearly enough talked about. I’ll be able to format some more questions I want to ask after seeing this show later this month.

We did get to talk a little Lucy and here are the stories we got to.

Joe has done his show on Amtrak trains across the country and when he does he will show the train robbery episode. He said that a conductor once asked him to stop showing that one as he was afraid that young kids would get the idea to pull the emergency stop.

He really enjoys talking about his experience as he appreciates how much joy it brings to not just those in attendance but feedback he gets when those people share it with another Lucy fan in their life.

I want to talk to him more about Jamestown 2011 but he seemed to have a good time. His wife was in the 800’s of the Guinness Setting World record for most people dressed as Lucy and he was impressed on how many people showed up for that. He did the bus tour around town and when there was down time on the bus did a Q and A. He admitted that he had not seen every episode and a hush feel on the crowd. I thought that was funny. In the same vain he told me that he never felt like an actor. He was just a kid, and this was a job for his mother.

He saw my Yours Mine and Ours lobby cards and said that was the last time he saw Lucy was on the set of that movie. The scene they were shooting the day he was there was the one in the house when all the power went out and they were running around with flashlights. Lucy remembered him and was very nice.

On the cards he has are two pictures of him and his brother. One with Lucy and one with Desi. We got talking and he said that those are the only two photos they could find that had both boys in. Joe said that they did not want it known that twins were portraying the character. He also said that back in the late 70’s GMA was putting together a where are they now and his mother had sent a bunch of photos she had of the boys on the set to the show. Well the Iran Hostage Crisis happened and the segment got cancelled. GMA apparently “lost” the photos, which he doesn’t believe that story.

In the same vein he told me a story his mother told him. Back when Disney Land opened Lucy and Desi were invited to the opening. Joe’s mother brought the boys down and Joe said his mother told him there was a picture taken of them with Lucy and Desi in the teacups. To this day no one has been able to locate this photo or any of Lucy and Desi at the Disney Land opening. He even had Tom Watson and the Disney Archive’s on the case and they were not able to turn up anything. He know some day some fan is going to post a photo online and solve this mystery.

Joe and his brother were in Jamestown together and had a cute photo of them pointing to themselves that is on the filmstrip photo thing that runs along the museum. He also did a signing at the Hollywood Museum back in 2011 when they had the 100th Birthday Lucy exhibit there. He got to know Mike Stern through that and they have kept in contact. Joe was amazed at the signing turnout it drew that day.

I think that may have been all the Lucy we talked about yesterday. I’ll post if I remember another story and also give a recap from his show on the 28th. I have some nice pics Charlie snapped too. I’ll get those up here later today.

Archived