Nancy Travis as Lucy in "I Love Lucy: The Untold Story" on Oct 6

Gregg O.

ILLTUS-Play.Cover.R.jpeg

I'll be directing another staged reading of my original short play, I Love Lucy: The Untold Story, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013, from 3pm to 4pm at University Synagogue in Brentwood (11960 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90049)

Based on

my dad's memoir, this humorous look behind the scenes at the creation of TV's most beloved sitcom has had successful productions on both coasts, as well as a nationwide broadcast on SiriusXM™ Radio. This performance will have new scenes, including the story of how Vivian Vance became "Ethel Mertz." (Some of you may have seen the "Vivian Vance" scenes presented separately in Jamestown in 2012, but I've now integrated them into the play.)

Gregg-KIpic.cr3.jpg

The show is performed in the style of old-time radio, with the actors and singers standing at microphones, scripts in hand, plus sound effects and recorded music.

castpixm.jpg

My phenomenal cast includes such talented performers as Nancy Travis (Last Man Standing) as Lucille Ball, Dick Van Patten (Eight Is Enough) as CBS head William S. Paley, Tony Dow (Leave It to Beaver) as I Love Lucy director Marc Daniels, Phil Proctor (founder of the legendary Firesign Theater comedy group) as Desi Arnaz, William Schallert (The Patty Duke Show, Get Smart) as CBS Programming chief Hubbell Robinson, Second City alum Lance Kinsey ("Lt. Proctor" in the Police Academy films) as I Love Lucy Pilot director Ralph Levy, Alan Oppenheimer (The Six Million Dollar Man, Murphy Brown) as Jess Oppenheimer, and musical guest Dora Pearson (former lead female vocalist for Sha Na Na).

Read more about our star-studded cast!

After the show, refreshments will be served, and you'll have the opportunity to mingle with members of the cast. Proceeds benefit University Synagogue. Tickets are

$18 in advance or $25 at the door. Free parking is available. (Cast lineup is subject to change.)

We're going to have a lot of fun on October 6th, and I really hope to see you there.

- Gregg Oppenheimer

P.S. If you can't make the October 6th performance, be sure to check out the full-cast recording of I Love Lucy: The Untold Story now available at

iTunes, at Amazon.com, at Audible.com, and at Audiobooks.com. All royalties from sales of the recording benefit the Motion Picture & Television Fund.

Fantastic news! Love Nancy Travis (she's playing Tim Allen's wife in his current ABC sitcom, Last Man Standing) as well as such a cast of great character actors! Saw this in Pacific Palisades (the show now available online, I presume) and thought it was a wonderful effort and a lovely, sentimental and entertaining way to spend an afternoon! (And if it's for a charitable cause, all the more reason! ;)) Highly recommended. :D

It's a matter of legal clearances. Before I could distribute the recording of I Love Lucy: The Untold Story that's on iTunes and Amazon.com, I had to get signed permission from all the performers and from the folks who own the music. (Did you know that the I Love Lucy theme song is owned by Paul McCartney?) Because I was distributing the recording in order to raise money for charity (The Motion Picture & Television Fund) all the necessary parties ultimately gave me permission, but all the correspondence and paperwork took a lot of time and trouble, and it only covered that performance back in 2011 (in which Lucy was played by Amy Pietz, who was just wonderful, by the way).

It's a matter of legal clearances. Before I could distribute the recording of I Love Lucy: The Untold Story that's on iTunes and Amazon.com, I had to get signed permission from all the performers and from the folks who own the music. (Did you know that the I Love Lucy theme song is owned by Paul McCartney?) Because I was distributing the recording in order to raise money for charity (The Motion Picture & Television Fund) all the necessary parties ultimately gave me permission, but all the correspondence and paperwork took a lot of time and trouble, and it only covered that performance back in 2011 (in which Lucy was played by Amy Pietz, who was just wonderful, by the way).

Well, I certainly understand NOW, thanks for that and the fact that Paul owns the ILL song, had no idea, LOL! What a business, The Beatles catalog belongs to the Michael Jackson estate and the ILL theme belongs to a former Beatle.

Archived