"Life With Lucy" DVD Release

Mr. Wilson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to Ken Ross' secretary and she informed me that they have no intention on releasing Life with Lucy on DVD.  I hope maybe some other company like MPI can license it from CBS. 

Hope so. I mean, it's not like they have a huge catalog of episodes for it they'd have to work with. Only 13 of them. Not really a huge project.

I spoke to Ken Ross' secretary and she informed me that they have no intention on releasing Life with Lucy on DVD.  I hope maybe some other company like MPI can license it from CBS. 

It is my understanding that MPI has the rights to Life With Lucy.  Someone had put an episode up on the "Screening Room", and now it states :"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim from MPI Media Group."   

I recently picked up the series on (gasp!) iOffer, and even though the sound is warbly like they're all underwater, it's a pretty fun watch. Imagine the special features they could include with Commentaries and cast interviews! Most, if not all, of the cast besides Lucy and Gale are living, so the possibilities are endless! The fact that the show is only 30 years old doesn't hurt much either...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, M.P.I. answered my question, that CBS owns Life With Lucy and has no plans to release it. So I'm confused. It was MPI that pulled the episode down from this site. I've also heard that Aaron Spelling gave it to Lucie and Desi Jr., for the Jamestown Lucy museum. If CBS owns it exclusively, it'll never get released.

I  think that CBS owns the Aaron Spelling library of tv shows. So since Life With Lucy was a Lucille Ball and Aaron Spelling joint venture it would be in the Aaron Spelling tv library. Now if CBS does own the Spelling library it should own Life With Lucy. I sure hope that CBS changes their mind on a dvd release of the show. I want to see this show on dvd.

In the case of Mama's Family, it was owned by Warner, but the original prints were part of Joe Hamilton's estate.

Maybe Life With Lucy is owned by CBS, and also part of Lucy's estate. Anyway, I think Lucie Arnaz has a say in the matter of DVD release.

RE: Ms. Arnaz - probably only as executor of the estate, which can make many of these DVD releases very tricky and I'm guessing what will make this title very unlikely to be released legitimately by CBS or anyone else -- they (CBS, Paramount, etc.) probably feel it's not worth the money or effort since they probably won't recoup their investment(s).....  Which is not to say I wouldn't like it to happen, but since they are out there, not hard to come by, and do little to further or enhance her legacy, it may be just as well....

To my understanding (it can all become very confusing with so many corporations and estates involved!), Spelling product (Dynasty, etc.) is currently being released through CBS Paramount Home Video, so I would think that that's the avenue LWL would be released through.

I guess we'll just have to stay tuned! ;)

Personally, I'd like to know why I remember a big, splashy press announcement from Aaron Spelling several months before he died that he donated whatever stake he had in LWL to the Lucy-Desi Museum and nobody else seems to remember this. LOL Sometimes I have vivid dreams, but they can't be that vivid! lol

Personally, I'd like to know why I remember a big, splashy press announcement from Aaron Spelling several months before he died that he donated whatever stake he had in LWL to the Lucy-Desi Museum and nobody else seems to remember this. LOL Sometimes I have vivid dreams, but they can't be that vivid! lol

The stake was probably auctioned off by Journey Gunderson.   :lucyhmm:

Archived