What if..

Annaleigh

Like you, I firmly believe Desi was the love of her life but I don't buy that "At least they are together" line. I don't think Gary would say something like that. Paula Stewart claimed Gary said this but I think Paula is full of it.

Now don't you go knockin my sweet sweet Paula, Lucy's good friend for decades!  I also always loved that she said the kids were too cheap to give Lucy some kind of monument when she was in that tiny cubicle when first buried, and the one they got her now is only slightly better, like something I would get for my own parents, small and inexpensive.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw. I don't think so. Everything ive read and heard leads me to believe Lucy was walking on eggshells when the subject of Desi came up around Gary

Well, she had just replaced Milton Berle with Rip Taylor, so . . . Bob Hope with Richard Simmons . . . I got fifteen more if you're interested.

'Actually Claude is one of the most clear-eyed people at TLL when it comes to the Ball/Arnaz union':

Actually, I am going to dispute the above quote; since, NO ONE knew Lucille and Desi's relationship/union more than they did;

Then, just to save myself:   MOST OF US WOMEN - and probably, SOME MEN, understand BOTH sides of this perrennial argument about the Arnazes; MOST men, however, think life is just a bowl of cherries....

I better get out, before I get in......  Lovingly, JK

P.S.  I have THREE sons; One of whom, when calling me, says:  this is your son

my reply has ALWAYS been:  'WHICH ONE?"  (tee hee)

LOL!  When I call my aunts, I say either this is Marcelle's oldest boy, or Marcelle's youngest, depending on if I've dyed my hair recently.  I'M AN ONLY CHILD BY THE WAY.  I actually agree with you that even though we THINK we know these two, none of us knows them completely and whenever I get into these discussions or arguments, I try and stay fair and give both sides.  Lucy used to say that about herself, that when she ran Desilu, she could see BOTH sides of any subject.

Now don't you go knockin my sweet sweet Paula, Lucy's good friend for decades!  I also always loved that she said the kids were too cheap to give Lucy some kind of monument when she was in that tiny cubicle when first buried, and the one they got her now is only slightly better, like something I would get for my own parents, small and inexpensive.

Lucy's first grave in California was nearly identical to the one Lucy purchased for her own mother, bar the actual style of the plaque, next to the niche she purchased for herself.  Her current grave is an enormous, customized black granite slab, with wonderful landscaping and an interlocking footpath leading up to it.

Lucy's first grave in California was nearly identical to the one Lucy purchased for her own mother, bar the actual style of the plaque, next to the niche she purchased for herself.  Her current grave is an enormous, customized black granite slab, with wonderful landscaping and an interlocking footpath leading up to it.

No, I've seen it many times BUT what i'm still pissed about is that tiny little place for her ashes that she USED to have, marked Morton yet, when La Davis had this huge monument and so did Liberace and even Agness Schimdlap and Herman Schlump had bigger monuments . . . but I also remember someone, either Tom Watson or Rickee saying this is what she bought and paid for herself and she never wanted anything ostentatious so . . .

No, I've seen it many times BUT what i'm still pissed about is that tiny little place for her ashes that she USED to have, marked Morton yet, when La Davis had this huge monument and so did Liberace and even Agness Schimdlap and Herman Schlump had bigger monuments . . . but I also remember someone, either Tom Watson or Rickee saying this is what she bought and paid for herself and she never wanted anything ostentatious so . . .

It is what she bought. Carole Cook said she joined Lucie and other family and friends at a little impromptu ceremony they had at Forest Lawn when they got Lucy and Dede's ashes from the columbarium and afterwards as they were leaving with the two urns, Carole turned around and made a strongly worded remark to Gary on her way out....so I presume he remains in a niche next to or near Lucy's. lol

It is what she bought. Carole Cook said she joined Lucie and other family and friends at a little impromptu ceremony they had at Forest Lawn when they got Lucy and Dede's ashes from the columbarium and afterwards as they were leaving with the two urns, Carole turned around and made a strongly worded remark to Gary on her way out....so I presume he remains in a niche next to or near Lucy's. lol

Ive heard parts of that story. Didn't she also say she was happy he was there all by himself?

Lee Tannen (who I don't find as trustworthy as Stu but still has an interesting perspective on our gal) had an amusing facebook exchange with Jim a couple of years ago. Lee had put up some of his pictures of Lucy and Jim commented on one with Paula in it saying" Look who's lurking in the background" and Lee said," I know haven't learned how to photoshop it out yet. Bet she's looking for loose change"

Yeesh. Tough words! He really pissed her off those last few years of Lucy's life.

I think Carole's main beef with Gary was that he tried to alienate her out of Lucy's circle of friends after he married Lucy. I'd be pissed too if he'd tried to come inbetween me and my good friend.

Really?  I never even thought of that, where the hell is HE buried anyway?

Oh my. Interesting story about Carole. I was wondering where Gary was. I was to Forest Lawn in 97', and regret not visiting again in 99'. I can't remember if there was a blank space next to/above/below Lucy.

I can't believe I never actually thought of that, where is that schmuck buried?

Lee Tannen (who I don't find as trustworthy as Stu but still has an interesting perspective on our gal) had an amusing facebook exchange with Jim a couple of years ago. Lee had put up some of his pictures of Lucy and Jim commented on one with Paula in it saying" Look who's lurking in the background" and Lee said," I know haven't learned how to photoshop it out yet. Bet she's looking for loose change"

Man, they really hated each other huh?  Like the Fred and Ethel version of her entourage.  Hope she writes that book someday so we can gear HER version of that major fight.  The one that got Lee estranged from Lucy for a year or so.

I want the Frank Gorey and Wanda Clark and Paula Stewart ones first.

What are you having, "Fun with Fonts" Day?? :D

I dunno... I don't see Frank's ever seeing the light of day -- he's getting on in years and one would think if he really were to write a book, it would have happened by now; Wanda's too "nice" to put out anything that would be salacious or "juicy" in the slightest and as for Paula, never been a fan, we never seem to hear from her and I just as soon keep it that way. :vanda:

Carole is a lovely, still-sharp lady despite already having entered her 80s and with all the stories she could tell and her razor-sharp wit and sense of humor -- plus going "back in the day" the farthest, she's the one I wish would write if not a book on Lucy, her own memoirs as I'm sure it'd be a fun read! 

:lucyhmm:

(Note: there is a documentary in the works about both Mr. & Mrs. Troupe, but I'm not sure what the status of it is....surely that'll contain a tale or two! ;))

Archived