I LOVE LUCY DAY!

C L A U D E

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, of all the wonderful pieces you've done, I think this is one of my very favourites. If one could order prints, I'd snap this one up in a jiffy!

That means a lot. I liked her, but she came off as overly done lol but hey lol i loved doing it. I liked the one I called Miss Fitts lol 1381327_405677749532697_1999975310_n.jpg

Wonder how you pick the colors for these when you saw them in black and white.

It stems from a fascination and imagination towards seeing the show in color.  I dont have a color test photo so I go with what suits the mood the character was giving at the time. Sometimes the clothes pick the colors too. The cowboys wouldn't usually have pink or purple shirts, so it would usually be a red or blue color. 

It stems from a fascination and imagination towards seeing the show in color.  I dont have a color test photo so I go with what suits the mood the character was giving at the time. Sometimes the clothes pick the colors too. The cowboys wouldn't usually have pink or purple shirts, so it would usually be a red or blue color. 

Imagine the fun you'll have when seeing them IN COLOR soon.

Fabulous. It's like your talent is too good to be true! I picture you with a projection light and tracing paper because it truly looks like the exact thing. Haha! But.. I know that can't be! :)

Aww, what a a compliment. If you think my work is something, you should check out some of the Getty Museum's  new acquisitions on their web site. The oil paintings of the earlier centuries are spell boudning. Your waiting for the art piece to blink!. Or google some of the great American illustrators of the 30s-60s that show some awesome techniques of resemblance, likeness, and the capturing of ones essence- ugh- just amazing. 

I dont like that waxy tracing paper or tracing of any kind. I can only speak for me, and for me-I think it takes away so much and is a short cut to what youd eventually have to face. no matter how you do it. I like the way I taught myself and later found direction in, which is the traditional gaging with precision tools and using the eye. For me, Id rather be off, find the problem and slowly work on it, than copy and be crippled by needing tracing paper and a picture in order to draw a simple portrait. I don't knock those who do it, Im just comfortable with my old method

After some classes I linked up with fellow artist who took time with me, who were kind and thoughtful and considerate of my eagerness to learn and be apart of an artistic group, and they taught me, step by step, and referred me to people who could show me different techniques to work on, like Bobby Chiu and Imaginism school staff, or LAs School of film, teaching tapes and affliates, who really teach good applicable techniques that can really help you be confident and happy with your work. It pays to work hard. :D

Ever think of doing caricatures in a tourist area?  Those are just stunning, I like the way you really capture their exact LOOK in every drawing.

I do a lot of caricatures when ever time permits. Im apart of like 7 caricature groups lol , some of us  will meet at a few coffee houses year round,practice our techniques and then plan sittings or events at piers or fun walk ways that allow us to work there and we go for it. 

The fear and excitement you have in doing caricatures on spot is like having several dates in one night, fun, and exciting but exhausting lol. One rule though, always draw a toy with a child lol. If the child has funny features, you can do them, but you have to have a balloon or a toy in the picture, then its ok. No toy? and they look at it like, WTF is this? Draw a toy, and the parent is happy with the caricature and the child is happy with the caricature of the toy lol lol any way, going on another tangent lol but i love caricatures

I do a lot of caricatures when ever time permits. Im apart of like 7 caricature groups lol , some of us  will meet at a few coffee houses year round,practice our techniques and then plan sittings or events at piers or fun walk ways that allow us to work there and we go for it. 

The fear and excitement you have in doing caricatures on spot is like having several dates in one night, fun, and exciting but exhausting lol. One rule though, always draw a toy with a child lol. If the child has funny features, you can do them, but you have to have a balloon or a toy in the picture, then its ok. No toy? and they look at it like, WTF is this? Draw a toy, and the parent is happy with the caricature and the child is happy with the caricature of the toy lol lol any way, going on another tangent lol but i love caricatures

Never knew it was that complicated.

Never knew it was that complicated.

I dunno lol. To me, math is complicated, but art isnt. Its a Labyrinth full of techniques. You use the best strategies to get the best work.  You start with the best of what you know and then you chisel out the best as you go along.  You draw one thing, put it down for a couple days, you come back and see something you never saw before, you add on to it, and behold-its a piece that has life, right in front of your face lol. 

Its a fun maze of creativity, art is. lol 

I dunno lol. To me, math is complicated, but art isnt. Its a Labyrinth full of techniques. You use the best strategies to get the best work.  You start with the best of what you know and then you chisel out the best as you go along.  You draw one thing, put it down for a couple days, you come back and see something you never saw before, you add on to it, and behold-its a piece that has life, right in front of your face lol. 

Its a fun maze of creativity, art is. lol 

I was never any good at drawing anything so to me it's highly complicated, LOL!  I can do the Lucy stick figure though, that I can handle.

I was never any good at drawing anything so to me it's highly complicated, LOL!  I can do the Lucy stick figure though, that I can handle.

lol Its okay, show me a person who doesnt appreciate a stick figure Lucy, good or bad, and Ill show you a heartless schnuck 

Archived