Lucy and the Golden Greek

Actually there should have been a sitcom running concurrently to the Europe episodes set in New York about Little Ricky and the misadventures under the care of scatterbrained Mrs. McGillicuddy entitled "Hello, Florence" complete with flashbacks to their cross country plane trip to Hollywood. Let's see.... "Mrs. McGillcuddy books passage on a bargain flight to Bombay knowing full well she can talk the pilot into making an unscheduled stop at LAX." Mrs.McGillicuddy: "All he has to do is push the steering wheel". Would YOU leave your toddler in Mrs. M's care??? I smell some spin-off plots in the works....And come to think of it, "Florence" would have been a good first name for Mrs. M.

About "Golden Greek". I too like the set up very much with Lucy and Mary Jane (though I don't care for Marshall-Belson scripts as a whole). I've NEVER liked the sitcom premise where somebody hears music and it makes them act maniacally different. Though it's been done and done ("KO Kitty" for one), I hate it because there's no basis in reality. Have you ever known anyone who went crazy when they heard a certain type of music? Well, maybe Joey and Claude when the song "It's Raining Men" plays.

LOL! Every single line made me crack a smile!

I also expect any of Angela Lansbury's "Mame" recordings make Claude transform into Mr. Hyde.

I got out the "Golden Greek" DVD. It was one of the 4th season shows I hadn't re-watched and with good reason. The second act is very weak. Not knocking Howard Morris for he's doing his best with the ErnestTBass stuff as written and directed, but he's not a big enough name to get that big of a spotlight and his antics aren't funny enough. That "tweak-a you cheek" thing gets old. The scene with MJ and Lucy is enjoyable if not particularly funny. Funnier is the scene with Lucy and Mooney. Especially: "What is this check made out to "?'s Shoe Shop?" Lucy: "Let me think.....I bought a pair of shoes.", a perfectly timed delivery. This contains one of the few tender moments between Lucy and Mooney. Lucy looks great and is wonderful, trying her best to make something out of this script without overdoing it. This is the Lucy I loved: sweet, a bit vulnerable and classy. I'm glad the Emmy Academy didn't stop nominating Lucy. She certainly deserved one for this season. Usually once the academy stops nominating you (as the terrible oversight of her being left out of the 2nd season nominations), that's it. You're never nominated again for the same role. Case in point: Shirley Booth who was still Hazel-ing this season.

PS: Is MJ's beau sporting a curly toupee?

I got out the "Golden Greek" DVD. It was one of the 4th season shows I hadn't re-watched and with good reason. The second act is very weak. Not knocking Howard Morris for he's doing his best with the ErnestTBass stuff as written and directed, but he's not a big enough name to get that big of a spotlight and his antics aren't funny enough. That "tweak-a you cheek" thing gets old. The scene with MJ and Lucy is enjoyable if not particularly funny. Funnier is the scene with Lucy and Mooney. Especially: "What is this check made out to "?'s Shoe Shop?" Lucy: "Let me think.....I bought a pair of shoes.", a perfectly timed delivery. This contains one of the few tender moments between Lucy and Mooney. Lucy looks great and is wonderful, trying her best to make something out of this script without overdoing it. This is the Lucy I loved: sweet, a bit vulnerable and classy. I'm glad the Emmy Academy didn't stop nominating Lucy. She certainly deserved one for this season. Usually once the academy stops nominating you (as the terrible oversight of her being left out of the 2nd season nominations), that's it. You're never nominated again for the same role. Case in point: Shirley Booth who was still Hazel-ing this season.

I'm very glad Lucy won for the 5th and 6th seasons. She certainly held her own even through the weaker entries.

All in all the transition from Danfield was handled better than I expected given the reviews I'd read prior to this season being released. For a long time season 4 was as elusive as the Danfield entries due to no episodes existing in the public domain. It's a very uneven season to be sure, but at least Lucy and Mooney talk about Danfield a lot in the early episodes. Helps provide continuity. And it certainly payed more attention to that than a lot of shows that change format do. Mostly they start over with a new premise and pretend like the old one never happened. At least this series acknowledged it, however vaguely.

I'm very glad Lucy won for the 5th and 6th seasons. She certainly held her own even through the weaker entries.

All in all the transition from Danfield was handled better than I expected given the reviews I'd read prior to this season being released. For a long time season 4 was as elusive as the Danfield entries due to no episodes existing in the public domain. It's a very uneven season to be sure, but at least Lucy and Mooney talk about Danfield a lot in the early episodes. Helps provide continuity. And it certainly payed more attention to that than a lot of shows that change format do. Mostly they start over with a new premise and pretend like the old one never happened. At least this series acknowledged it, however vaguely.

True.  You're probably too young to remember it -- it doesn't seem to rerun anywhere either, curiously -- but The Doris Day Show changed formats almost every one of its 5 seasons on the air!  :lucywow:

Really?  Never knew that.  About the Emmy nominations I mean.

True.  You're probably too young to remember it -- it doesn't seem to rerun anywhere either, curiously -- but The Doris Day Show changed formats almost every one of its 5 seasons on the air!  :lucywow:

That's true.  That's what SHOULD have happened with Life with Lucy, major changes that might have saved the series.

I happend to think season four is one of the funniest seasons of The Lucy Show.  I love the Gary Marshall/Jerry Belson scripts that started in season three and I think the her Emmy nomination was well deserved but unfortunately Emmy darling Mary Tyler Moore won.  At least Lucy was nominated not like season two when she was shut out completely, but, I'm glad she won for season five and six, they were well deserved. 

Archived