Underrated Gems

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, never really cared for that one, thought it was one of the two worst Hollywood episodes, but hey, that's just me. What was Hedda Hopper's hometown? And great avatar, absolutely the first time I ever see THAT picture, very very nice.

Her hometown is Hollidaysburg, PA, she grew up in the neighboring town of Altoona. Thanks for the welcome!

Her hometown is Hollidaysburg, PA, she grew up in the neighboring town of Altoona. Thanks for the welcome!

All Tuna?  I didn't ask what she had for lunch, just where she lived.  I'm reading a lot of books that have Hedda mentions lately, she was after all, one of the most powerful ladies in show business for a time.

Altoona is very popular with train enthusiasts. It kind of reminds me of Jamestown in that it was once a bustling city of industry, but now it's heydays are long gone.

Anyways, I also like Lucy Wants a Career from LDCH as well. I think it's the last of the really good comedy hours.

Altoona is very popular with train enthusiasts. It kind of reminds me of Jamestown in that it was once a bustling city of industry, but now it's heydays are long gone.

Anyways, I also like Lucy Wants a Career from LDCH as well. I think it's the last of the really good comedy hours.

I even UNDERappreciated it, took me a while to realize that Career one was one of the best.  As for Jamestown, it was thru Lucy that I found out it was a big MAKING FURNITURE kind of town, even Lucy would get all her furniture from there and have it flown out West. 

"Lucy's Schedule". I always been very fond of that one. It was stellar throughout with funny scenes sprinkled in such as Lucy stuffing her mouth with those mints and biting into an apple without realizing it was fake, Lucy doing her seal impression, the guys fighting over that radish and not being able to finish their meal, Lucy and the girls throwing the biscuits as if they were softballs, etc. This was one of those episodes where the actors tried hard NOT to laugh. It was that GOOD!

"Ricky Loses His Temper". The entire scene where Lucy was deliberately being noisy when Ricky was trying to sleep was HILARIOUS. However, I must admit in the last scene where Ricky spanks Lucy is disturbing.

"Bonus Bucks". The feud between the Lucy and Ethel over the bonus buck, Lucy misplacing her half of the bonus buck, the lady becoming frightened when she sees that blanket moving (with Lucy in it), Lucy crawling real fast on the belt trying to get to the other end of it with no success, Lucy getting starched, etc.

"Ricky's Hawaiian Vacation". The scene where Lucy and the Mertzes put on that Hawaiian show, Lucy trying to be two people at once (herself and Ethel's mother), and when she was on the game show with Freddie Filmore getting drenched thanks to Ricky.

However, I must admit in the last scene where Ricky spanks Lucy is disturbing.

Ok, next to LOSER, this is the second one MOST needing an explanation.  This wasn't your Fifty Shades of Grey kind of spanking, but Lucy behaving like a child and the authority figure in her life, in this case her husband, spanks her for being naughty.  Played for laughs, back then it wasn't politically incorrect.

Ok, next to LOSER, this is the second one MOST needing an explanation. This wasn't your Fifty Shades of Grey kind of spanking, but Lucy behaving like a child and the authority figure in her life, in this case her husband, spanks her for being naughty. Played for laughs, back then it wasn't politically incorrect.

Perfect!

Perfect!

Thanks, it gets so tiring having to defend these all the time.  Like when some say, well, this doesn't make any sense, or where was her baby while this was happening.  Seems they forget this is a TV show and not real life and most situations were played for laughs, as a comedy show tends to do usually, sheesh!

I know it was played for laughs. I know it was acceptable in the time period. But I too have never really liked the spanking scenes. I have always found them disturbing too. I don't care what the social norms were back then I will never like those scenes.

Nobody asked you to.  Did you also get bent outta shape watching Edith Bunker get treated like dirt by the moronic archie?  That was also the norm twenty years after I Love Lucy, to see the wife cater to her hubby's ever request, even decades after that with Marie Barone having to do the same for her jerk husband on Raymond.

Continuing my THE LUCY SHOW marathon. On the last disc of Season Five...

Some episodes that I think are "underrated gems" from Seasons Four and Five:

"Lucy And Art Linkletter" 

"Lucy And The Soap Opera" (Save the painfully uncomfortable sequence, I think there are ample laughs in this one)

"Lucy, The Gun Moll" 

"Lucy's Substitute Secretary" 

"Lucy And The Soap Opera" (Save the painfully uncomfortable sequence, I think there are ample laughs in this one)

"Lucy, The Gun Moll"

I agree, those are all good ones. Soap Opera is actually quite a funny episode save for her first characterization. I love her courtroom scene at the end.

One of my favorites is Lucy Conducts the Symphony. Pure classic and certainly belongs in any best of Lucille Ball footage and I also really Lucy the Gun Mol. And two public domain episodes that I used watch many times over were Lucy the Bean Queen and Lucy Gets Jack Benny's account for some reason just amuse me greatly. I'm also a huge fan of the Andy Griffith SHow. so I'm partial to the Here's Lucy episodes that have Don Knotts and Andy Griffith despite the fact that they may not be the greatest episodes in tv history.

"Lucy, The Gun Moll" 

Terrific shows, great marathon.

The japanese gardner doesn't bother me... I guess it isn't pc but I find that whole ep.very funny....especially the courtroom......also the first iron man with Blondell is good.

Doesn't bother me either, people keep forgetting that what she did, everybody was doing BACK THEN, including her old friend Bob Hope on his specials.

Doesn't bother me either, people keep forgetting that what she did, everybody was doing BACK THEN, including her old friend Bob Hope on his specials.

I don't think anyone forgets that was once socially acceptable but it's just not funny through today's lens.

I don't think anyone forgets that was once socially acceptable but it's just not funny through today's lens.

So tell these people to get an old lens and stop bothering us with accented Japanese gardeners and spanking one's spouse and Indians that speakum like thism and all the other crap from days gone by that is no longer politically correct.  I don't get offended by sissies who are overly effeminate and talk with a lisp while skipping along, I either laugh or watch something else.

And another thing, instead of being offended by Ross Mathews, I rejoice at the fact that he can speak about whatever he wants in which ever way he wants, and I laugh.  Fifty years ago, people could have killed him over that sort of behavior, now they accept him as he is and laugh at his overboard antics.

And another thing, instead of being offended by Ross Mathews, I rejoice at the fact that he can speak about whatever he wants in which ever way he wants, and I laugh.  Fifty years ago, people could have killed him over that sort of behavior, now they accept him as he is and laugh at his overboard antics.

Re: Ross and it doesn't hurt that he's adorable and funny, whip-smart and has a heart of gold! As he did years ago on the red carpet with Gwyneth Paltrow, wish I had the chance to ask him if he'd like to be my best friend! Plus the fact we're both showbiz crazy and love Palm Springs! :lucythrill:  

Re: Ross and it doesn't hurt that he's adorable and funny, whip-smart and has a heart of gold! As he did years ago on the red carpet with Gwyneth Paltrow, wish I had the chance to ask him if he'd like to be my best friend! Plus the fact we're both showbiz crazy and love Palm Springs! :lucythrill:  

Go for it, you'd make a lovely couple.  And this is probably the only time YOU'll be considered the very BUTCH one, just kidding now. :D  :gary:

Exactly. There were a lot of things acceptable back then that aren't acceptable nowadays. Sometimes I feel we go overboard with the PC stuff today but a lot of things are now looked down upon that should be.

I know it wasn't intended to be mean, but the sight of those chop suey specks and buck teeth make me cringe! I think my jaw hit the floor in shock the first time I saw it. And part of what bothers me about it is that it makes no sense. It feels added just for the sake of doing something outrageous. She could have easily worn a different disguise in order to visit him. It had nothing to do with an otherwise enjoyable episode.

Archived