The Countess Episodes

Of the seven Lucy shows that Ann Sothern guest starred in, which is your favorite?

I enjoy all of them but I'd have to cast my vote for her first one. Their drunk bit at the wine tasting is hysterical, even better than the one in the first hour long show in my opinion. I first watched that episode during a very difficult time in my life and it provided me with laughter when I most needed it.

My second favorite would have to be Horse Guest. Probably my personal favorite from season 4. I also enjoyed Old Mansion if primarily to see Vivian join in the mix. And Lucy continuously whacking Mooney with the wooden board is a scream.

"My Fair Lucy" and "Lucy And The Countess" are my favorites. The other two from Season Three aren't bad either. 

I agree that "Lucy And The Countess Have A Horse Guest" is her best appearance from Season Four. I do not care at all for her other two appearances in Season Four. 

Id say Lucy and The Countess lose weight is at the top of my list. Its hilarious and feels warm and comfortable like an old ILL episode. The girls look ravishing, and the chemistry is so refreshing- the bits in the exercise room are all hilarious and the final wall gag was amazing. 

LOL And when the girls get to that cow lolol not only do we see the lady milking yet again lol but having Ann's HILARIOUS reactions makes it so live and spontaneous. You can see Lucy hardly being able to keep her composure lol 

It feels so fun. 

I also like Horse Guest. They both look so wonderful all through the show, and the plot is outrageous but funny. 

I'm a big fan of all the Countess episodes except for Lucy & The Countess Lose Weight.

I especially liked the one where she has her real estate license, it was nice seeing that high rise condo with the little luxuries like having a bed that shows up in the living room, how realistic.  But seriously, loved the mansion one, having been remodeled and coming apart at the seams and their guests say the have the same problems at theirs. 

I watched the fat farm episode last night as I always skip that one just because I wanted to see if it was better then what I remembered.  It was still as bad as I remember.  I think it’s funny what passed for women working out in the 60s.  Mr. Mooney is also shoehorned into this episode.  He makes sense in the beginning with telling them about the bad loan, but then when he appoints himself as the instructor it’s just a ploy to keep him in the episode.  Ann tends to hide her weight pretty good but those pink sweat suits are not doing anyone a favor.

When I was first watching the Lucy Show I always dreaded these Ann Southern episodes because I knew by that point in the cycle that the Danfield years were coming to an end and so was Viv.  Once I started watching these again when the DVDs came out I’ve found I generally enjoyed them.  I’ve come to realize that Ann really is a good pair for Lucy.  She’s not a Viv replacement as the chemistry is different.  Not bad, just different and it works on its own level. 

I think the first one is my favorite.  Nice introduction of Ann, good setup to establish that Mooney is enamored for by her.  Why I like this one is the whole drunk scene.  I think it’s better than the LDCH and I always like drunk Lucy.  She was a master at it and it’s always more fun to watch 2 drunk people.  Horseguest is probably my runner up because the ladies both look good, you have the Bill cameo, and it’s cute watching them run around with the impending birth of the horse. 

I wish they kept Ann on as a reoccurring person for Lucy to be friends with in LA.  Mary Jane is good, greatly needed and I think she shows up the perfect amount of time.  They should have balanced Ann in too, but not too much as you do need solo Lucy from time to time.  The whole LA storyline I generally feel that Lucy doesn't have much of a social life and seems rather lonely.  Mary Jane seems like her only friend, as Mr. Mooney will always be her boss first.  At least we had Lucy dating in Danfield or the possibility of dating.  In the LA arc didn't she only date Dean’s double and Clint Walker’s character?  Anytime the “Lucy” character in the second and third season gets a chance to date I instantly like these episodes more.  The male figure gives her femininity and softens her demeanor.

I watched the fat farm episode last night as I always skip that one just because I wanted to see if it was better then what I remembered.  It was still as bad as I remember.  I think it’s funny what passed for women working out in the 60s.  Mr. Mooney is also shoehorned into this episode.  He makes sense in the beginning with telling them about the bad loan, but then when he appoints himself as the instructor it’s just a ploy to keep him in the episode.  Ann tends to hide her weight pretty good but those pink sweat suits are not doing anyone a favor.

When I was first watching the Lucy Show I always dreaded these Ann Southern episodes because I knew by that point in the cycle that the Danfield years were coming to an end and so was Viv.  Once I started watching these again when the DVDs came out I’ve found I generally enjoyed them.  I’ve come to realize that Ann really is a good pair for Lucy.  She’s not a Viv replacement as the chemistry is different.  Not bad, just different and it works on its own level. 

I think the first one is my favorite.  Nice introduction of Ann, good setup to establish that Mooney is enamored for by her.  Why I like this one is the whole drunk scene.  I think it’s better than the LDCH and I always like drunk Lucy.  She was a master at it and it’s always more fun to watch 2 drunk people.  Horseguest is probably my runner up because the ladies both look good, you have the Bill cameo, and it’s cute watching them run around with the impending birth of the horse. 

I wish they kept Ann on as a reoccurring person for Lucy to be friends with in LA.  Mary Jane is good, greatly needed and I think she shows up the perfect amount of time.  They should have balanced Ann in too, but not too much as you do need solo Lucy from time to time.  The whole LA storyline I generally feel that Lucy doesn't have much of a social life and seems rather lonely.  Mary Jane seems like her only friend, as Mr. Mooney will always be her boss first.  At least we had Lucy dating in Danfield or the possibility of dating.  In the LA arc didn't she only date Dean’s double and Clint Walker’s character?  Anytime the “Lucy” character in the second and third season gets a chance to date I instantly like these episodes more.  The male figure gives her femininity and softens her demeanor.

Again why Gary should have been brought in as a boyfriend.

Exactly my reasons for liking those episodes so much! And in the same order!

My favorites are "My Fair Lucy" and "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest". 

My least-favorites were the first and the last ones she appeared in ("Lucy and the Countess" & "Lucy, the Undercover Agent"). I have always felt "Lucy & the Countess" was just a subpar rehash of the drunk bit in the TLDCH episode "Lucy Takes a Cruise To Havana". 

My favorites are "My Fair Lucy" and "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest". 

My least-favorites were the first and the last ones she appeared in ("Lucy and the Countess" & "Lucy, the Undercover Agent"). I have always felt "Lucy & the Countess" was just a subpar rehash of the drunk bit in the TLDCH episode "Lucy Takes a Cruise To Havana". 

Perhaps, and maybe my partiality to the episode is colored by the fact that I first watched it during a very dark period of my life. I was suffering from depression, and the sight of them clowning around drunk elicited the first true laughs from me in a long time. I will always be grateful to that episode for providing fun and comfort at a time I desperately needed it.

Archived