Only in the 1950's

I watched Ricky Has Labor Pains yesterday and I can't help but still being taken by surprise when the Ricardo's doctor smokes infront of a pregnant Lucy. I guess you just have to shrug and say "that was the way it was back then" What other moments in I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy that makes you say "that was the it  was in the 50's, 60's or 70's. I guess I should add LIfe With Lucy, so "that was the was it was in the 80's

For the 80's I have to laugh at Becky making the kissy faces in the mirror and thinking she looks like Madonna.

50's Ethel not going on the subway in jeans.

70s Dan Dailey and Lucy's flirt with the boss routine.

I've found this in all decades but when someone reads a job ad that wants a certain gender or age. Unless it's for a showbiz gig, it's so not legal anymore.

Whenever Lucy had to ask permission from Ricky to get money. That bugged me on ILL. It really bothers me in TLS, though, that she has to beg for & justify getting access from a stranger to her own money! That whole sexist notion that women were not smart enough to handle money pops up so frequently in those series but, as you said -- that's the way it was back then.

Another thing is seeing Lucy & Ethel or Lucy & Viv wearing gloves. (Not the winter kind :-)) That lasted into the 60s, I think. I love how women looked when they dressed back then, even though I wouldn't want to have to put on a hat, gloves, dress & stockings today just to run to the store! :-)

Oh, & hats. Not just the women, but in the ILL era most every man wore a hat when he went out.

Whenever Lucy had to ask permission from Ricky to get money. That bugged me on ILL. It really bothers me in TLS, though, that she has to beg for & justify getting access from a stranger to her own money! That whole sexist notion that women were not smart enough to handle money pops up so frequently in those series but, as you said -- that's the way it was back then.

Another thing is seeing Lucy & Ethel or Lucy & Viv wearing gloves. (Not the winter kind :-)) That lasted into the 60s, I think. I love how women looked when they dressed back then, even though I wouldn't want to have to put on a hat, gloves, dress & stockings today just to run to the store! :-)

Oh, & hats. Not just the women, but in the ILL era most every man wore a hat when he went out.

"Those WERE the DAYS, my friend; those WERE THE DAYS...."

When I was a kid in the fifties and I was fortunate enough to go to a Canadians hockey game, if the patrons got angry at a referee's call, the rink would be a sea of men's hats and galoshes, LOL!

:lucyshock: ! I thought if you ever referred to the Canadiens as "Canadians" in Montreal you'd be flogged in the streets and dragged by your ankles up the steps of the oratory.

:lucyshock: ! I thought if you ever referred to the Canadiens as "Canadians" in Montreal you'd be flogged in the streets and dragged by your ankles up the steps of the oratory.

That's why I like to remind those separatist morons of the FACT that they ARE Canadians.  I was BORN a French Canadian and will die a French Canadian, never a Queerbecker.  Well, the queer part ok but not the last part.

When Fred tells Ricky when Ethel gets too emotional he secretly gives her mild sedative. I don't like that if a woman gets upset or emotional the best way to deal with her is to slip her a sedative.  Bad Fred! and Bad Ricky!

That was only for the humor of the situation, as far as I know, men never did that to their wives unless their kid was kidnapped or something like in Man who knew too much.

Archived