The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

(((--they're also bringing a lot more classic shows to blu ray including two of my personal favorites, Beverly Hillbillies and Twin Peaks!--))

Twin Peaks or as she was more commonly known on Beverly Hillbillies: Elly Mae Clampett.  Perhaps that was the title of a proposed Donna Douglas spin-off.

Here's a sample of the new menus (within the episode selection area)...

They combine animation with actual film clips, photos, etc.

(Also, here is a link to a slightly larger image:)attachicon.gifmenu2.jpg

www.lucyfan.com/menu.jpg

Ooo I like the menus at first look, cant wait to see how they look in person with all their moving parts.

Priority #2 were Lucy and Desi’s costume tests which was wonderful. (I really wanted to say “incredible” again, but I know that word is going to be used too much here… but justifiably!)

Can't wait to see these too!! Very excited.

I know "Drafted" is near the bottom of many people's lists, but make sure to watch the original broadcast version of the episode (and Lucy Is Jealous of a Girl Singer) for...

... sponsors commercials featuring the unseen fourth wall of the Ricardo apartment and an extremely groovy musical Christmas commercial with Lucy and Desi doing the vocals for the stick figures!

Do the "commercial free" versions also include the re-integrated 16mm cut scenes (for episodes like Lucy Fakes Illness, TV Commercial, Men are Messy, etc.) or are they only sourced from the surviving 35mm footage used for syndication?

And what does this mean for those season 4 episodes that had 16mm deleted scenes included as a supplement but not re-edited into the shows themselves? Will those be extended for the "night of broadcast" versions?

I'm pumped for this, sounds phenomenal.

Do the "commercial free" versions also include the re-integrated 16mm cut scenes (for episodes like Lucy Fakes Illness, TV Commercial, Men are Messy, etc.) or are they only sourced from the surviving 35mm footage used for syndication?

And what does this mean for those season 4 episodes that had 16mm deleted scenes included as a supplement but not re-edited into the shows themselves? Will those be extended for the "night of broadcast" versions?

I'm pumped for this, sounds phenomenal.

The Season One commercial free versions of the shows you mention DO have the deleted scenes added back in, just for completeness purposes.  So... technically... one could argue that the standard "syndicated" versions of those few episodes are not represented here... but so be it...

We will deal with Season Four when we get to it... At the moment, we hope/intend to include all the deleted materials in each of the sets.

I am not personally involved with all the steps in the remastering process, so I cannot give a full answer to the question.  Initially, the process of transferring a 30-minute film into a digital file format should take no more than an hour... But after the file exists, one needs to go back in and carefully note any areas that need to be "cleaned."  The color needs to be balanced as well -- yes, even on black-and-white film there is "color balancing" done, because all blacks, all greys and all whites are not created equal.  Same with the audio... Bottom line: an awful lot of work has to be done on the films -- especially the 16mm versions -- that are used on these sets...

Hope this helps...

• Like 1

For anyone who may have already seen the show in glorious HD, how would you say it compares, for example, to a TV re-run, such as one seen on MeTV? The picture is stellar for MeTV, and I just can't imagine it getting any clearer. The special features alone will be the cause of me springing to buy a Bluray player after my next car payment, but the clearness of the picture will be icing on the cake...

I'm not crazy about the menus either, but its certainly an improvement!

What do the discs look like? Is an episode guide included?

The discs basically look the same as the ILL re-release (the cartoon covers) a couple of years ago except the predominant disc colour is blue rather than grey. The case is clear and the episode guide can be seen behind the discs on the inside cover similar to the TLS and HL releases.

Great catch. I was on the fence with the $75. But this was about $10 more than what I thought I would wait it for and probably pickup in a year. Season 1 on DVD had the lowest picture quality compared to the other seasons and even with the upscale my bluray player did it didn't look a ton better. Now to see all the things I never noticed before.

This non-American can't get the video to work, but it might provide an idea of the picture quality.

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/i_love_lucy_video_watch_a_scene_from_the_original_lucy_gets_ricky_on_the_radio-2014-05

It is a cool video... it shows a side by side of the syndicated version of the episode and the original broadcast. Interesting how in the different versions they actually used different camera angles for some shots. I cant wait to get it, it's in transit to my house now! :)

It is a cool video... it shows a side by side of the syndicated version of the episode and the original broadcast. Interesting how in the different versions they actually used different camera angles for some shots. I cant wait to get it, it's in transit to my house now! :)

I can't watch the video right now but....WHAT?!? We have different camera angles to watch now?!? *dies*