Unsolved "Lucy" Mysteries

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After we caught Wicked Stepmother on TV one night, my brother and I went around for months imitating Bette Davis -- particularly one line:

"Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam! You're missing your GAAAAAAAAAAAAME. Show."

My favorite is "Ya FAAAATH-er and I are compatible in EEEVVVERR-Y sense of the word" (with the word "word" clipped in true Bette Davis fashion)

Poor Bette!  Poor producers!  Forced to recast her role-----with a cat????

Emaciated Bette is painful to watch.  I know it's cruel to say this but it's like she had died and they applied just enough electricity to her corpse that they could get it to twitch and move and ,by forcing air through her voice box, get a loud and braying, but not quite human, sound. 

My favorite is "Ya FAAAATH-er and I are compatible in EEEVVVERR-Y sense of the word" (with the word "word" clipped in true Bette Davis fashion)

Poor Bette!  Poor producers!  Forced to recast her role-----with a cat????

Emaciated Bette is painful to watch.  I know it's cruel to say this but it's like she had died and they applied just enough electricity to her corpse that they could get it to twitch and move and ,by forcing air through her voice box, get a loud and braying, but not quite human, sound. 

That is the most interesting visual description -- and sadly, apt -- I've ever read! I may not sleep tonight!!! :blink:

Now I HAVE to see this!! :HALKING:

Wicked Stepmother would have been funnier had it just been about Bette Davis marrying into a yuppie family and causing distress. No magic involved.

Allegedly after Miss Davis left, Lucy was "briefly considered" as a replacement. I don't think Lucy was in the best shape at the time anyway, and besides, the script feels tailor made for Bette.

Wicked Stepmother would have been funnier had it just been about Bette Davis marrying into a yuppie family and causing distress. No magic involved.

I'd watch the hell out of that.

Have you read the book "Me & Jezebel" by Elizabeth Fuller about the time Bette (circa 1985) was forced to move in with the author, her husband, and her young son for a couple of nights during the New York hotel strike -- only to end up staying there for close to a month? It's screamingly funny and should be a TV miniseries.

Such possible episodes coming from this book:

• Bette & The Holy Roller
  • Bette Watches B.D. on The 700 Club
  • Bette Goes To The Beach
  • Bette Buys a Door
  • Bette & The Seance
  • Bette in a Haunted House
  • Bette Vs. The Griswolds
  • Bette Vs. The Ouija Board
  • Bette Meets a Horny Contractor
  • Bette Goes to McDonalds
  • Bette Watches Jezebel
  • Bette Runs the Rapids
  • Bette and a College Boy Have a Surprise Slumber Party

I'd watch the hell out of that.

Have you read the book "Me & Jezebel" by Elizabeth Fuller about the time Bette (circa 1985) was forced to move in with the author, her husband, and her young son for a couple of nights during the New York hotel strike -- only to end up staying there for close to a month? It's screamingly funny and should be a TV miniseries.

Such possible episodes coming from this book:

• Bette & The Holy Roller
  • Bette Watches B.D. on The 700 Club
  • Bette Goes To The Beach
  • Bette Buys a Door
  • Bette & The Seance
  • Bette in a Haunted House
  • Bette Vs. The Griswolds
  • Bette Vs. The Ouija Board
  • Bette Meets a Horny Contractor
  • Bette Goes to McDonalds
  • Bette Watches Jezebel
  • Bette Runs the Rapids
  • Bette and a College Boy Have a Surprise Slumber Party

Oh my...and especially that last one: :blink:

Okay...   back to these Lucy Mysteries...

I was watching season 4 of Here's Lucy and on the last disc there was an episode with Bob Cummings and Lucy had met him at the supermarket (of course I can't remember the title).  As she descended her stairs I noticed that the mirror that usually hangs on the wall was missing and a cuckoo clock was in its place.  Later she made a remark about being early or late for work and thanks to the clock we see what time it currently was in "Lucy Land".  Then the next episode the mirror is back where it has always been.  

Any other times when the mirror is replaced with anything else??

I kinda wish that the "slapping the wall gag" to make the french doors open was used a bit more... it always delights me.

Archived