The Ranch

Luvsbway

This is a fairly good all over shot of the one part of the yard.

red2.jpg

You can see this area is directly across from the one above seperated by the pool.

t5.jpg

Areas that look closer to the house but I think are still in the backyard.

591.jpg

plants.jpg

Not sure where this is or if it ties into the lattice area.

r1.jpg

And this looks like a large open area of land.

401.jpg

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I basically agree with you both, I would certainly never call it a safe haven as they had to leave there because of the kidnap threats against the children.  The Beverly Hills mansion was more in tune with their positions in the entertainment industry at that point and even though it had a wall and limited access, people still went up to the front door and rang the bell, stole the flower pots and even the welcome mat.

I'm not sure if this was what was called the living room but it is interesting to see it change over time.

living.jpg

987.jpg

dogg.jpg

768.jpg09.jpg

09.jpeg

p45.jpg

The wallpaper is a constant lol Wow. Its funny to see them in their younger years and then older, with the baby. 

You really get a look into how practical and down to earth they really were. Their home was warm, yet it didn't have be grandiose and overly luxurious for them to enjoy. Had they'd stayed together, Im pretty sure, teenage Lucie and Desi jr would eventually make them redecorate lol 

take it down and redecorate. 

I used to have a curio wall cabinet like that one.  Looks more like a den, the furniture's just too ancient and ugly to be in their living room.  Yeah, and the wallpaper must have been on sale, she must have done the inside of the closets with it too, LOL!  But again, BACK THEN, this was the norm.

On one of the commentaires for the HL set Lucie says how much Roxbury was like the Carter home. At one point Lucy said she was tired of it all and wanted new. The decorator brings all kinds of samples. Turns out Lucy just wanted the same stuff but new versions. Just a fresh look of the same.

Also heard a story Frank told about her wanting the same wallpaper in the kitchen put back after she got new cabinets. It had to be recreated as it didn't exsist anymore.

Henry love your comments. The decor is not my taste but love that it was not some over the top star home. It is even more humble to realize they lived there half way through the years they were very famous and rich from ILL and did not leave because they should live like stars.

But this ranch house was in the forties and early fifties, hence the old fashioned LOOK of it all.  Although the Roxbury house also had it's own look, like the early sixties never left, she just could not change the basics, the only time she ever had anything modern looking and sumptuous was when Paula Stewart decorated her Manhattan pad, no wonder she got the Architectural Digest cover for that one.  But having seen the Benny and Stewart homes, inside, they had the same basic look as hers, like these stars were always too busy or cheap to redecorate.  Like the time gary said he slept on the couch as he attempted to redecorate with new stuff without her ok and she had everything redone exactly as it was BEFORE the flood ruined the Palm Springs home.

Pool Time.

79.jpg

pool1.jpg

A lot of shots were done on the diving board.

eeee.jpg

889.jpg

In this later photo it looks like the tree stump is missing.  Also a lot more tree growth.

7688.jpg

board.jpg

Is Lucy using the diving board for a place to rest her paints?

brush.jpg

So I'm thinking there may have been 2 ways into the pool.. In the background of this photo it looks like their are stairs into the pool.

aa34.jpg

Of course this could also have been another way.

rope.jpg

Other shots around the pool.

750.jpg

Archived