BEST ILL EP EVER!

Gossip is the best for me- it has what Lucy called the situational "wrap around" within the plot that was so clever and so entertaining! 

It also has that playful man against woman, husband vs wife appeal to it.

To say nothing of the performances! Lucy's "charades" bit!? ugh, hilarious! Ricky's sleeping slumber rumor rhumba was soooo funny "Grace Foster!!"- and the moment Lucy and Ethel are trying not to spill the beans, but can't keep it together lol ingenious! (Vivian's timing and delivery is so good here) But the final scene does not disappoint. At one point, its so wild, but its so believable -except for Mr. Foster scratching his neck with the gun lololol I also like the feeling I get when I hear the audience members figuring out the scheme as it unfolds with the pay off lol and by the time Lucy and Ethel shake hands, I almost feel as if its a warm heartfelt ending!

Its awesome.  

only a few more come after that. 

I remember having this very discussion a few months ago on here. I do feel that Vitameatavegamin is Lucy's best bit, but "Lucy Does A TV Commercial" is structurally flawed in that, not only is it sans Ethel Mae, but nobody else besides Lucy really gets the chance to be funny. 

In contrast, "Job Switching," as was noted above (and months ago), gives everyone something. The script is perfect, with an unbelievably simple, and yet rich, premise that allows for sharp dialogue and SEVERAL bits of physical comedy. (My opinion is in the minority, but I think Ricky and Fred in the kitchen is almost as funny, if not just as funny, as the conveyer belt scene.) 

My sentiments regarding the other two episodes often cited as Lucy's best are similar. While I feel that Lucy's individual bit in the grape vat in "Lucy's Italian Movie" is absolutely brilliant, "L.A. At Last!" is undoubtedly the much better episode -- more consistently funny, with a stronger script, and as was stated above, multiple climaxes. It's superb. 

I think what makes a great Lucy episode into a great Lucy episode is that it's funny from start to finish, and usually that means that all the characters must be firing on all cylinders. Fortunately, this happens quite often on I Love Lucy (why it's the best sitcom of all time). Though none may be as sharp and slapstick-ingly satisfying as "Job Switching," there are dozens of episodes that I think are similarly so well-constructed. Off the top of my head:

"The Gossip"

"Pioneer Women"

"The Operetta"

"Lucy Hires An English Tutor"

"The Matchmaker"

"Redecorating The Mertzes' Apartment"

"The Diner"

"Ethel's Birthday"

"Lucy Learns To Drive"

"First Stop"

"Ethel's Home Town" 

"Ricky Needs An Agent"

"Staten Island Ferry"

"Lucy Gets A Paris Gown" 

"Deep Sea Fishing" (structurally)

"Lucy Wants To Move To The Country"

"Lucy's Night In Town"

"Country Club Dance"

"Lucy Raises Tulips" (excellent in that Ricky's responsible for the ultimate goof) 

OMG, this is my almost my list verbatim! lol You must be a sucker for a coincidental happy ending! lol I LOVE these shows in particular. 

Although I appreciate the cliff hanger shows, like the Cheese episode, and Oil Wells, I more less like when the situation turns out in every ones favor, and makes for a happy ending, like "Mother In law". 

I would have to add swiss Alps though. I think its the most unique of the season. The mountains, the scenery, the snow, the plot, the acting, the writing. Its a pretty good one too for a happy ending :)

LMBO lol It does, the song is so horrible, but I think its a pretty good episode. 

They plot is good, Fred bringing in the other band is funny. The idea of the mountain climbing is fun-

the Mertzes coming in with those costumes is hilarious (watch during the very few seconds of this scene- and you can see Lucy and Desi break character while watching Viv break character, laughing at Bills pants lol) The mountain scene is not that realistic, but still funny- and the comedic lines while in the cabin is brilliant. Not to mention the sandwich and stove vent bits. My favorite part is Lucy "Midicetienecosa my foot! Im getting sick and tired of being blamed for everything around here! IM ALWAYS BLAMED FOR EVERYTHING" lol its just hilarious. and The crying scene once the snow falls? LOLOL Lucy is so cute, just like a little girl, she cries over bad weather. 

"Lucy Visits Grauman's and "Lucy And John Wayne". The two episodes should have been an one-hour season premiere.  :lucy1:

What a brilliant idea and I totally agree! Sometimes I feel a little disappointed that the viewing audience back then, and even the audience in the studio, had to see it broken in two parts. lol weird I know, but it seems so great as one show. The pace never slows 

I liked Ricky NOT confessing anything JUST IN CASE they got rescued.  Yes, the way Lucy eats her sandwich crumbs was hilarious.

Right, and the very funny:

Lucy

Maybe we're closer than eternity than we think

Ethel

I hear it too

Ricky

So do I

Lucy

Good, At least we're all going to the same place

Fred

I don't hear anything

Ethel