Random clippings

Luvsbway

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so weird that Lucy would screen this at a party. This was December. The movie had come out the previous February. Lucy must have know what it was like. Was Gary dying to see it so badly that Lucy acquiesced for his birthday?

The quote I have from her complaining about the movie is from March 74'. So when did she first see this?

• 11 months later...
On 1/28/2015 at 8:22 PM, Luvsbway said:

1.22.81.png

Spending some time reading over this thread - great compilation of articles!

I wonder if, in this article, the visit Desi refers to is the one where he and Lucy were filmed playing with Simon in the pool?

Although, I do recall someone saying that Lucy became ill shortly after that visit and Wanda had to bring the baby to Lucie. So either Lucy recovered enough to join Lucie and the baby on a train back to New York, or we’re talking about different visits.

Either way, it’s nice that Desi and Lucy could spend time together with their grandchild.

24 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

I wonder if, in this article, the visit Desi refers to is the one where he and Lucy were filmed playing with Simon in the pool?

Although, I do recall someone saying that Lucy became ill shortly after that visit and Wanda had to bring the baby to Lucie. So either Lucy recovered enough to join Lucie and the baby on a train back to New York, or we’re talking about different visits.

I think it may be another time. That was me who pieced some Wanda stories she told on Stu's show. Lucie was in New Mexico doing a movie so she left Simon with Lucy and that's when the pool video was made is my best guess. Stu talks about coming over with his video camera and showing Frank how to use it. Stu also went on to say that Lucie didn't know about this video until the early 90s when he showed it to her. Wanda said that Lucy came down with the flu that week and Lucie missed Simon so Wanda flew him to NM. 

So looks like the kid was ok to fly and the way I'm reading it Lucy didn't take the train to NYC. It's worded kind of weird. I'm assuming this was during the time Lucie was living in NYC, so I don't see why Lucy would go to NYC.

Lucy, Lucie, and Simon did have a train trip to New York. Lucy was really, really displeased by the train. Lucy and Lucie were on The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder in New York and discussed it. I've never seen this interview and it's probably my most wanted thing to see. 

3 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Lucy, Lucie, and Simon did have a train trip to New York. Lucy was really, really displeased by the train. Lucy and Lucie were on The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder in New York and discussed it. I've never seen this interview and it's probably my most wanted thing to see. 

Wow, I didn't think Lucy would do a cross country train trip at this time in her life. Amtrak then or now is nothing like train travel back in the 30s and 40s when she did traveling that way. No wonder she was displeased. I will never do an overnight train trip unless it's at Orient Express levels.

1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

Just curious about the timeline: the CA to NY train trip came first, and the visit to Grandma’s while Mom was in NM came sometime later? Boy, that kid racked up the miles at a young age!

• 3 months later...
Just now, JessiLu said:

Just came across this original clip about Lucy and Desi's wedding in The New York Times:

image043.jpg

You can see other headlines from that issue here:

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/567032

I didn't realize that Lucy and Desi planned to honeymoon in Havana. Does anyone know if they actually went? I don't recall hearing anything about this. 

I've read the Havana honeymoon too. I think it was just talk for the papers. They stopped off in Michigan,  I think for a stat at a cabin. Then a bit in Palm Springs before Desi had a gig in Miami over Christmas, so probably no time.

7 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

I've read the Havana honeymoon too. I think it was just talk for the papers. They stopped off in Michigan,  I think for a stat at a cabin. Then a bit in Palm Springs before Desi had a gig in Miami over Christmas, so probably no time.

Thanks! Do you know if Lucy ever got to Cuba -- or if Lucy and Desi took many vacations together, for that matter? We've heard about the Hawaiian vacations in the 50s, the ill-fated Europe trip in 1959, and I believe trips to Del Mar in the late 40s led to them buying property there. But other than that, I haven't heard much about them traveling together, except for Lucy meeting Desi in various places when he was on the road. I suspect in the 40s they were just glad to spend time on the ranch together when they got the chance. 

11 hours ago, JessiLu said:

Thanks! Do you know if Lucy ever got to Cuba -- or if Lucy and Desi took many vacations together, for that matter? We've heard about the Hawaiian vacations in the 50s, the ill-fated Europe trip in 1959, and I believe trips to Del Mar in the late 40s led to them buying property there. But other than that, I haven't heard much about them traveling together, except for Lucy meeting Desi in various places when he was on the road. I suspect in the 40s they were just glad to spend time on the ranch together when they got the chance. 

You've pretty much summed up the traveling. I've found some mid 40's clippings talking about them getting church married in Cuba in an old church, but as we know that just got done close to home in 49'.  I've never found anything mentioned that Lucy got to Cuba.  I think you're right on them wanting to stay home when they could. They both traveled so much for work. They were to go to London in 50' to play the Palladium, but that's when Lucy got pregnant.  

Archived