Random clippings

Luvsbway

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a book, The Art of the Interview: Lessons from a Master of the Craft

[/size]By Lawrence Grobe[/size]

interview.JPG[/size]

Wow that's quite a big thing to come out with. I realise that she dosen't see it as a big deal but these feelings are clear signs of depression. Not enjoying life or looking forward to the future even when things are going fine is a classic symptom. It was always suggested by friends that she may have been suffering in her later life but I had no idea that these feelings kicked in so early. It's shame she was so against counsellor or psychologists because help is on hand for this and can make a big difference. Although I giggled at the thought of her being sent to a doctor after the interview, bet she looooved that.

Yeah well, the little we do KNOW for sure about this period is that she got depressed after Here's Lucy ended as she no longer had any work to look forward to.  If she had had a full life at home, throwing parties, seeing friends, teaching comedy at a University, maybe travelling and having people surrounding her when schmolie was out playing golf and leaving her alone, something more than pruning her plants, playing with her dog and playing those stupid board games.  Then again, she DID keep busy somewhat, she says herself in that interview that she had lots on her plate, doing specials and seeing friends and family.  I also remember her saying that after the show ended, she cleaned her whole house, top to bottom, and then went to do Desi jr's also just to keep busy.  But let's remember that superstars are always dealing with fan mail, phone calls, sending gifts or flowers to people they knew and even looking for other projects to do.  I'll never forget a comment she made one time about specials, saying the public thinks we spend a whole year just doing a special, but that's not the case, a month at the most and then it's on to something else.  And she did travel a bit, to Snowmass in winter to ski, Palm Springs on a regular basis and visiting friends there.  Just read a William Paley bio that said because he was Jewish, they did not give him access to Country Clubs, he was barred for being Jewish, which was also the case for gary by the way and even Desi I think at one point.  So the multimillionaire founder and owner of CBS built himself a country retreat in New Hampshire and that Lucy had been a guest.  Another bio mentions Bill and his socialite wife Babe Paley took Lucy to My Fair Lady on Broadway.  The two later books, Tannen's and Brochu's mention Hollywood type galas she attended, tributes, not to mention talk shows and game shows, so she did have some items on her schedule.  BUT, it was REAL work she craved, not resting on her laurels.  Nobody ever mentions that her comedy was considered OLD HAT, like Hope's at that time so jobs were few.  And this is a woman who had done 500 plus shows and while running a studio for some of those years, raising kids, running homes everywhere and travelling for work and play sometimes thrown in on top of everything else that is required of a superstar in Hollywood,.

• 3 weeks later...

This seemed to be such a sure thing that it made it into a reference book (published in 1968) as one of Lucy's credits in 1969.

If this was so good and she had wanted to make it for so long, why why why did she do the tepid "3 for 2" with him instead of this?  I don't know anything about Lillian Russell or what age she would have been depicted in this production.  But maybe Lucy thought by 1976 she was too old to play the Lillian of the script.

She mentioned on a talk show (don't know the year) that she was going to do this but "then that dirty rat went and lost a lot of weight".   She meant this as a joke as was quick to point out that she didn't want him to be unhealthy, but Diamond Jim was huge.  I don't remember ever seeing Gleason looking thin or even thinner.  

And the only thing I know about Diamond Jim is the many many references in Here's Lucy.  Variations of "He makes Harry look like Diamond Jim Brady".

7183.jpeg

Taylor:  The photo of the 'actors' was just in front of the polka dot garage/mini-gift shop, in the driveway.  I don't know the unidentified friend; but, by age reference, probably a close neighbor; perhaps, an Erickson from across the lot, sister to the boy who was shot near this tme.  JK 

Archived