Elaine Stritch has died

Neil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed when I saw Elaine in a show at the White House for Obama, she screws up the words to I'm Still Here at least three times and stops, the piano player has to help her out even yelling the lyrics at one point.  To be fair it does seem to have lots more lyrics than the version we're used to.  But my point is, she's so great, that the audience doesn't care, her personality alone shines through, who cares if the words are right as long as they're belted out by such a gifted entertainer.

When she was doing night music I heard reports of her forgetting lines and calling for them. She was on point the night I saw her.

I'm Still Here is another one that many people can trip up on. Elaine Paige was talked about forgetting lyrics too but she was on when I saw Follies.

I love the story Michael Feinstein tells on Elaine Stritch.  Seems Michael took his eightysomething father to an Elaine Stritch performance (or she went to one of his)  and they hit it off swimmingly, then Elaine calls Michael the next day and tells him how wonderful his dad is and Michael tells her "Thanks, Mom likes him too" which is followed by a pause and Elaine responding, "Damn, I was hoping she was dead."  :lucythrill:

LOL!  That's typical Elaine, LOL!  I want to make it clear that I had no idea Elaine had had all these issues with forgetting lines.  When I saw her do it three times at that White House show, I was stunned by it, didn't know it had happened frequently before.

LOL! That's typical Elaine, LOL! I want to make it clear that I had no idea Elaine had had all these issues with forgetting lines. When I saw her do it three times at that White House show, I was stunned by it, didn't know it had happened frequently before.

I don't think Elaine ever had trouble with lines (even during her drinking years) until she reached her mid-80s. I think her diabetes played a part in it too. It is covered in great detail in the excellent documentary about her released earlier this year.

Archived