John Wayne Inside Joke?

I never noticed this before, but that "John Wayne . . . daaaaaaah!" thing Lucy does in the "Lucy and John Wayne" episode she also did in the Dean Martin episode. 

You can compare the two here, at 1:33 in this video ("L and JW):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfcvPnA4hw

And at 1:47 here ("L Dates DM"): 

What is that all about?  It seems odd that she would have the identical reaction a year later upon hearing John Wayne's name.

Thanks for pointing this out.

In all the time I've been watching these episodes (and I've seen The Lucy Show" more than I've seen I Love Lucy), I've never noticed she did the John Wayne-DAAAAHHH in 2 shows.

No slight to John Wayne's talents, but he was not known for his sex appeal. Maybe it was the "big, strong and rugged" qualities that were surpassed only by Fred Mertz.

At least it's better than if Lucy went "Mel Torme? DAAAHHHHH" which may have been a script suggestion from Mel himself, who in real life fancied himself as quite the lady's man.

Thanks for pointing this out.

In all the time I've been watching these episodes (and I've seen The Lucy Show" more than I've seen I Love Lucy), I've never noticed she did the John Wayne-DAAAAHHH in 2 shows.

No slight to John Wayne's talents, but he was not known for his sex appeal. Maybe it was the "big, strong and rugged" qualities that were surpassed only by Fred Mertz.

At least it's better than if Lucy went "Mel Torme? DAAAHHHHH" which may have been a script suggestion from Mel himself, who in real life fancied himself as quite the lady's man.

Fred Mertz!  Daaaahhhh! 

I'm guessing this bit maybe was cut out of the syndicated version of the Dean Martin episode, and perhaps that's why we missed it?  "Daaaahhhh!" is kind of an odd reaction to anybody, but what's particularly peculiar (to me) is that she only reacts that way to hearing the name John Wayne.  I was wondering if there was some cultural reference at the time?  I don't know.  But at least here's one example of continuity in TLS!

I thought it was the character's way of indicating she had the hots for a certain movie star, actually thought she had done this for others, wasn't someone dictating to her once and she did the same thing upon hearing that actor's name?

Hmm.  She was often fawning over movie stars, and getting giddy and excited, but I can't think of another instance where she went "daaaaah!"  At least not on TLS. Here reaction, I think, was usually something like "[insert name]!!! He's my very favorite!"

Could it be the Dean one. First scene in the office?

But that's my point:  It's the Dean Martin episode and the John Wayne episode (the links I posted above), and in both episodes she's going "Daaaah" only when she hears the name John Wayne.  I never heard her do that in any other episode, or in response to any other name but John Wayne.

Bob O'Brien wrote both episodes. He must have liked the gag the first time and repeated it.

Ah, thanks for that!  This makes sense now.  Perhaps he remembered using John Wayne's name in the Dean Martin script, so when the Wayne episode came along with the actual John Wayne, he felt he had to make Lucy react the same way.

Archived