2014 Lucy Town Marathon and 5K Race + Entertainment Scheduled

I'll keep my eye out for you and your hot date tonight! :D

We had just said:  'wonder if Brock will be here', and here you two were!!!!  How'd I do????  Loving you, JK

PS  Met a couple of nice folks from Kingston at supper, Shawbucks; they have been coming to LucyFest since 2006,  think they said.  The Silvers; Steve & Linda; are they members of this Lounge?   If not, they should be; they are GREAT Lucy Fans and would be wonderful here.  Read on for the Post-Journal re-cap of 'events' yesterday.

Each article is shortened somewhat:

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - "To be a part of the history being made, it was truly special." - Juiced Up - Over 1,200 Take Part in Record-Breaking Stomp, by Jimmy McCarthy -"Inspired by the scene from the ('I Love Lucy') episode 'Lucy's Italian Movie', grape stompers came out Saturday not only to honor the local icon; but, also to conquer a world record in her hometown.  The vat containing 60 tons of Concord grapes donated by Agri-America, Silver Creek NY, contained a record 1,232 participants, from 31 states; one from Italy; 2 87-year old persons; some carrying children and pets, who 'stomped' for 3 minutes each - shattering the previous Guinness record of 977 stompers in spain," published for this date in 2014.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Newhart Elicits Laughs From Large Reg Lenna Crowd - In Review - by Robert W. Plyler - "The man who once billed himself as 'the buttoned down mind', kept a large audience laughing at the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts Saturday evening," published for this date in 2014.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Sports - 'Grape' Start - Pair of 14-year-olds Run To Victories In Lucy Town 5K - 'The 5K went off great this morning; quite a few Lucys; a lot of excitement going on down here.' David Reinhardt, 5K race director, by Jay Young - "Walking across downtown Jamestown Saturday morning a cool breeze; some bright sunshine is atypical for this time of year in Western NY.  There was also the distinct and pungent scent of grapes floating through the air; the people gathered at Jamestown  Savings Bank Arena appeared to have an implausible number of vibrant redheads in attendance.  By end of the second annual Lucy Town 5K race, most red bobs of hair had toured the entire 3.1-mile course throughout downtown area, along with huncreds of other runners, and walkers, from around NYS and beyond.  A man from Erie, PA, was overall winner with 18 minutes, 58 seconds.  A lady from Granville (unknown state) was tops with 22.27 in her first year attending the 5K,." published for this date in 2014.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Sports - Ahead Of The Field - Tisia, Meyer Are Top Male, Female Finishers at Lucy Town Half Marathon, by Scott Kindberg -[shortened to only #-worthy] "It was a picture-perfect day for the second annual Lucy Town Half Marathon.  Winner:  1 hour, 9 minutes, 30 seconds; with a total of 311 runners [2013:  approximately 200 entrants] finishing the race; female winner:  1 hour, 21 minutes, 34 seconds.  'We have the uniqueness of Lucy, the comedy show and the grape stomp, and now if we get those elite runners here, it will be icing on the cake,' David Reinhardt, race director; additionally saying 'the speeds published will hopefully draw many more runners,'" published for this date in 2014.

The 5K and grape stomping were lots of fun as was Bob Newhart's show.  I arrived in Jamestown just after 8:00 on Friday night.  After a good night's sleep, I was up the next morning and off to the race...or in my case walk.  Again this year, I did the walk with friends Linda and Steve.  Linda and I both thought that it seemed like there were fewer people in the 5K this year, but it was still lots of fun.  (I haven't heard any totals for number of entrants for the 5K, but thanks to leenorman for the total for the Half Marathon.) 

I then registered for the grape stomping and managed to get in a little shopping at the Center before getting in line for the grape vat.  I was in the near center, slightly closer to the Washington Street side.  I went in true Lucy stile...barefoot, and it indeed felt like stepping on eyeballs.  I wonder, though, if it was as cold of an experience for Lucy as it was for us world-record setters.  I didn't have much feeling in my feet after a while.  I must say that I think it was very well planned, organized, and implemented.  It seemed like they got everyone in the vat in a timely manner and seemed to have a good handle on things.

Leenorman and I had a great dinner at Shawbucks with Linda and Steve.  For those visiting Jamestown, Shawbucks is a great place for dining.  It may be a touch pricier than some other venues in town, but the portions are HUGE and the food's terrific.

Bob Newhart's show was absolutely hysterical!  He was funny and great at telling jokes as a story.  He had a little edgy stuff, but nothing extremely.  It was fun afterwards waiting with Brock and his mother for Bob at the Best Western.  (I didn't get to seem Bob earlier in the day, but I heard he was staying there.)   While his bodyguard didn't want to take time for autographs, I'm glad we were able to do the photo op.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Editorial - Jamestown Tourism Rises - "The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center for Comedy did something remarkable on Saturday; setting a world-record for grape-stomping; shattering the previous world record.  Impressive; but not most-noteworthy.  On a day when families attend sporting events; take road trips; or take care of mundane tasks at home, it IS most impressive the Center managed to inspire 1232 to spend a portion of their day in grapes; got hundreds - to run in a variety of races; packed the Reg for Bob Newhart comedy;  as well as the presence of hundreds of volunteers making these events possible.  The world record, a nice feather in Lucy's cap; more importantly, packing downtown, morning to night, during what is normally a slow time of year for tourism; now, that is truly a feat worth applauding," published (and shortened by Lounge member), " published for this date in 2014.

Alright, you two - GIVE!!!

Some drunk guy stumbled into the lobby from the wedding, watched a bit of the football game on TV there and said he was going to be back in a minute after he went back to his room to get more beer, finishing with a flourish: "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell my wife!" with his finger up to his lips, and tiptoeing backwards to the elevator.

Archived